Nick Mangold leaves Jets camp to see his sister at the Olympics

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

2. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

It's excusable, but less excusable than Aaron Ross going to see his wife.

[​IMG]
    Girl would have been a nice slice of prime rib in the olympic village.

3. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

its typical of the lack of focus and discipline on this team. poor decision by mangold and ryan. i wonder if this would be allowed on the patriots, giants or steelers.

#23 AbdulSalam, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  4. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

you know, i thought you were being sarcastic in your original post in this thread, making fun of the doom-and-gloom darksiders on this forum. Sadly I now realize you're just an idiot who thinks Nick Mangold, the best center in football, going to watch his sister compete in a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity with the full support of his coaches and teammates is detrimental to the team.

Relax, he's missing a scrimmage where he would probably only play a drive or two, an off day, and maybe one practice. He's probably the last player on the team you have to worry about being ready for the season.

5. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

This team imploded last season over players putting their personal issues above the team. in this case mangold is demonstrating that his personal preference of seeing his sister compete in london live is more important to him than the team is. I am telling you that this wouldn't be tolerated on a successful disciplined football team which the Jets are not.

There is always an excuse if you are looking for an excuse. Mangold's primary responsibility should be w/his team in training camp getting ready for the season. Its a question of priorities. Do you think bellicek or tomlin or
    coughlin would behave like ryan has? I don't and I think it shows a lack of discipline and focus that this team demonstrated on and off the field last season.

6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

^That's not true. Mangold wanted to stay with the Jets and valued their time together. It was Rex that ultimately convinced him to go. He was originally dead set on staying and missing it. I agreed with Mangold's original decision, but what can I say? Rex is a good guy. Besides, it's Mangold and it opens up opportunities for other tackles and guards to step up. I want Ducasse and Slauson getting as many reps as possible. I still distrust Wayne Hunter.

#26 Barcs, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  7. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Rex may be a good guy, but last season Rex was a lousy coach who lost control of his football team. Guys putting their personal goals and wishes over the team. Rex's approach leads to lack of discipline, lack of focus and poor execution. If everybody just does whatever they feel like doing (such as going over to london to party for a few days at the olympics) the result is a crappy football team. I disagree completely w/ryan on this and Mangold should have set an example for this team, instead he's just doing what he wants to do and neglecting his responsibilities to his team.

Its interesting that the jags (another lousy team) also tolerate this lack of discipline - but at least in that case its Andre Ross' wife competing.

8. NYDeadEye

NYDeadEye Member

Lack of discipline and focus? Hahah

Yes. Mangold will be horrible because he spent a few days in London. This team is doomed and is obviously full of amateurs. I'm sure the Jets want to know when you'll be available for your next professional NFL coaching job. You're obviously a hot commodity.

9. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

im torn.

on one hand family is much more important than football. on another they always talk about how hard it is to go to london for a football game and then come back... i would imagine it would be just as difficult to do it now in training camp, maybe even more so.

10. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Yes lack of discipline and lack of focus plagued this team last season - or were you living under a rock ? Ryan's approach of letting guys do and say what they feel like leads to lack of discipline and focus and results in poor execution. I don't see any need for Mangold to go to london. He can watch his sister on TV. This isn't a family medical emergency or a death - its a chance to party in london. So yes I think its a stupid move by Rex. I am not surprised that there are plenty of fools who think its perfectly okay for everybody to just leave training camp whenever they feel like it for whatever reason they think justifies neglecting their responsibilities to the team.

I don't think this would be tolerated on other teams. For good reason.

11. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

im confused, its ok for a guy to go see his wife compete in the olympics, but not a guys sister? um, what? How is that really any different?

secondly, Nick Mangold and Aaron Ross, maybe the only two guys with sisters/wives competing in the olympics in the NFL, so how is anybody supposed to go visit somebody when they aren't actually competing?

the hell is wrong with you? Mangold (and every other NFL'er) should be allowed to go watch a sibling/family member compete in the olympics, an opportunity that may only come once in a lifetime. I can't even believe you are comparing this decision by Mangold, to what happened a year ago. In addition, how the fuck is this going to distract Nick after he returns from London? The shit that went on last year continued and eventually spiraled out of control. This will be over the second Nick returns to practice.

12. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

If you don't understand the difference between a wife and a sister, I can't really help you. the Jags are a lousy team but i'm not concerned about what the jags are doing.

I don't really understand your point. Mangold has decided that his preference of watching his sister compete live is more important to him than his responsibilities to his team. He could have stayed at camp and stayed with his team to improve after a terrible season last season - instead he is going to party and watch his sister at the london olympics. Ryan agrees & supports him in leaving training camp.

I disagree w/it. In my opinion, the Team rule should be that a player should only leave camp for a family emergency or death in the family. If you want to be a champion you have to be 100% dedicated and willing to sacrifice your personal preferences for the team. If you want to be a lousy team just let everybody do and say whatever they feel like doing - thats the Ryan philosophy and I think its lousy and its time for Ryan to develop as a HC by demanding more discipline.

What the hell is wrong with you? Didn't you see this team implode last season with players behaving like self centered morons? Did you miss the fact that the team lacked discipline and focus and executed piss poorly?

Mangold is not the first person in the history of the NFL who has had an important family event occur during training camp. He should have showed leadership, maturity and discipline by staying at camp and working to make his team better. I think its unnecessary and therefore his obligations should be to his team. Suck it up and play football Mangold.

13. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

As it should be...Go ManGolds!

p.s. stfu AS

14. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

I love that Rex tried to guilt him into going. Glad he went. Good for him and Holley.

15. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

If the OL sucks this season I'm sure everybody will just be happy that Mangold got to watch his sister lift weights live as opposed to watching in on TV.

16. NYDeadEye

NYDeadEye Member

If the O-line sucks, I can almost 100% garauntee you it will NOT be because Mangold went to the olympics to watch his sister perform in a once in a life time type of event.

Mangold is one of the VERY few players on this offense who is not only Elite, but consistent as well. If anything, I'd say he deserves the right to go to see his sister compete.

If anything, it might do more good to give some guy more reps and not make the line so reliant on him and learn to perform at a higher level themselves.

17. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

You do realize everyone made Mangold go and he didn't want to go and kept on saying no Rex and teammates before they finally convinced him.

Not sure why you said its okay for the guy with the wife to go but not the guy with his sister. Family is family, what is wrong with him going? He is arguably the best offensive player on our team and will be missing what a few in the beginning of August?

This is a 0 in a lifetime opportunity for most people, Mangold has a rare chance to watch family compete in the Olympics. If he jetted out for the opening cermeonies and stayed in London for 2 weeks partying it up, you would have an argument.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Are you for real with this crap? You honestly think the quality of our o-line play could be negatively impacted by mangold missing 2 days in early August? You REALLY believe that?

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You know, I have never noticed your posts being so retarded. It's like you flipped a switch. It's not just this thread, either.

20. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I get that you softies are all happy to let players leave training camp for any excuse that seems cool in your opinion. I disagree. I think there needs to be rules and that all players are treated the same. Unless its a family emergency or a death in family you need to be in camp. Going to watch siblings compete in the olympics is a wonderful thing, but in my mind its not an excuse to skip out on training camp. This team is severely lacking in discipline and it shows. The policy of doing and saying whatever the hell you like resulted in chaos and failure last season. Repeating that same policy this season will likely lead to a similar result.

Believe me, I get it that most people disagree w/me.