Nice story on our first round pick QB Zach Wilson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Jan 28, 2021.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I could definitely see taking him on the 23. He's the kind of prospect who is either going to hit the ground running or wind up a career NFL backup and that's what you get in the latter part of the 1st round at QB.

onefanjet likes this.
  4. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I don't watch a lot of tape, and while I think that arm strength is overrated, he does not seem to have a lot of velocity on his throws. I'm just not seeing the #2 overall pick hype here.

5. boozer32

Montana never had a lot of velocity but he was accurate. Give me an accurate QB over those howitzer arm bums. Browning Nagle is one that could throw the football through a tank but his accuracy was all over the place.

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Montana’s greatest asset was his football IQ, guy mastered a wickedly complicated system and made it look easy.

He was a 3rd round draft pick because his arm was considered below average for NFL and GMs feared he would throw more interceptions. It helped that he had highly skilled players around him to make plays.

westiedog1, ouchy and boozer32 like this.
  7. boozer32

Montana was underrated for sure but he also was a winner in college. But his head coach was one of the best to ever do it in Bill Walsh. A brilliant football mind who changed the game with his west coast offense with some help from Sid Gilman.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

I haven’t been on the Wilson bandwagon... but I think he’s got the most potential of all the Qb’s in this draft (including Lawrence). He’s the one guy I could see turning out like Mahomes/Rodgers.

You can make a nice argument the Jets lack enthusiasm and a pick like Wilson along with all the other draft capital they have is a good way to go to not only turn around the team but also inject much needed fan support.

The more I’ve watched him, the more I think he could be special. Need to see how his medicals check out... but starting to not hate the idea of Wilson at pick #2 (he won’t make it out of the top 5).

Red Menace likes this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I like Wilson a lot, he plays the QB position in a very natural way. Looks off defenders, doesn’t look to run, always looks downfield to move the ball. Has a quick release, has excellent footwork, he has learned to get more velocity on his passes by rotating his hips better.

Take that type of QB play and insert it into an NFL offense under Shanahan with playmakers and a run heavy offense, I believe you have a very good chance he develops into a very good QB.

However I don’t think JD is going to draft a QB with second overall pick, I believe he will draft an immediate day one starter.

#9 Red Menace, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    REVISion and ouchy like this.
  10. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think this is the guy the Jets are most likely to take with the second pick. I don't see a ton of alternatives. I would think QB is number one priority.

I don't see Douglas taking a WR with 2. I think if they don't love the QBs, and can't trade back, Sewell is the pick. Maybe if there was a premier pass rusher?

Its based on nothing, but I really wouldnt be surprised if they traded back and took Lance. As I said, no sources, largely based on nothing, just a feeling.

CotcheryFan, ouchy and Red Menace like this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We still have an issue of not seeing Wilson against top defenses. IMO that really ups the gamble factor too high for the #2 pick. I'd take Fields over him if pressed at #2.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Coastal Carolina is a Group of 5 school, but they have a legitimate team and defense. He looked mediocre at best against them (albeit on short notice and massive travel implications).

A lot of "tight window throws" against teams like UCF whose defense also got torched by USF (102/127 in points for - 1-8 record).

ouchy likes this.
  13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm getting higher and higher on Wilson the more I read and watch about him, to the point where I may prefer him over Fields. His PFF ratings are through the roof. Excellent deep ball accuracy, excellent accuracy on tight window throws. He completed 73.5% of his passes last year while also having 11 Y/A and very few interceptions. I also know that Jeremiah is really high on him and he has a relationship with JD. I think if we don't get Watson he may well be the pick at #2.

14. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

I still think the Jets will trade down and Draft Sewell or Slater.

15. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Strong arm, accuracy, team player, a leader and strong work ethnics are a plus. But the same can be said for handful of QBs. Whether he is the real deal, I dunno that is what JD, Saleh, and Lafluer are going to have to further assess in person if they want. If he s the guy so be it. I am going to trust these guys to pick the QB or stick with Darnold and the rest of the draft.

BrickcityJet and zace like this.
  16. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Would rather draft him than trade for Watson and have nobody else.