NFL Total Access: Jets looking to trade Jones?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MurrellMartin, Aug 11, 2009.

1. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

ya i know. im not that much of a dick.

2. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Granted, Thomas Jones had a very nice year last year.....but, I have never considered TJ to be an elite NFL back. IMO, TJ has never had that extra gear or drive to turn an average run into a special play. A lot of Bear fans have stated that TJ's legs would stop driving when he gets hit. I guess, I'm spoiled by Curtis Martin, TJ just is an average to good NFL back not worth the money he would receive in 2010, for an old RB.

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Guys...it doesn't matter....the supposed plan is to have 2 or 3 HB's platoon the running duties this season.

The HB group itself will "shoulder the load" this season.

If TJ is a part of that...great. If not...he's fucking replaceable. My only caveat is that if we jettison TJ...i hope the HB they replace him with is "durable". Leon isn't a big guy, and Shonn Greene looks prone to getting "banged up".

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Seattle helped us out big time in the JAbe negotiations with Atlanta, making a bonafide first round offer that forced the Falcons hand and lead to us getting the pick we took Mangold with.

I wouldn't be surprised if we scratch their back here a little bit and send them Jones for a 4th. It's a smart move given the politics of the situation and us wanting to cultivate that relationship.

JAbe and his agent were trying to get him to Atlanta for a 2nd round pick and the Seahawks stepped up and offered the 31 which lead directly to Atlanta upping their offer. We can use that kind of relationship in the future and giving them the 31 year old back they need this year for a 4th is a smooth move if it happens, especially given that we can't afford to bend on TJ's contract much.

5. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Anyway we can get Cleveland and Mangini involved in some sort of deal that revolved around Thomas Jones for Braylon Edwards? Not a chance in hell Edwards comes back to Cleveland where he dislikes the new coaching staff since he is a FA to be after this year and Mangini loves Jones a lot and they get themselves a legit threat in the back since Jamal Lewis is practically done.

You either get a 4th round compensation pick or a RB who has 2-3 good years left in him.

Lone concern here would be CLE WR depth if Braylon is gone but better to get somebody back in return then thinking about picking an unknown on day 2 I would suppose.

6. 624

624 Banned

This.

7. ........

........ Trolls

Yep. Even though I agree with nyjcanada that the ability of that group to account for 500 carries hasn't been seen yet, I'd be perfectly fine going into the season with them. It certainly bears mentioning that RB success is as much a product of the offensive line as the players behind it. With a line like ours, I'm not as worried about having a Jones type back in the backfield. He can handle a lot of carries. That's been his biggest benefit to the team.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

NY Jets not shopping RB Thomas Jones

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/08/ny_jets_not_shopping_rb_thomas.html

9. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

^ there you go

/thread

10. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

im happy with splitting carries in the way that's being speculated around here. and in fact expect good success from it. i will be the furthest from surprised if it turns out that greene and washington make a great duo, but to say that is a legitimate reason to making jones expendable whilst being successful is a little out of line.

11. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Well, not really.

Hutch's word against everyone else. Just like he was the only one to report Ellis' "Week 1 suspension" both Ellis and the Jets have said they've heard nothing/havn't gotten anything about any suspension.

His word is about to die if Ellis isn't suspended and if Jones is traded.

12. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

WTF? ellis isn't OFFICIALLY suspended yet?

13. NYJetsMan7

NYJetsMan7 Member

YES! exactly what i was thinking before reading up to your post! But probably unlikely! Cardinals could be in market for a HB ...groom Wells alittle more.

14. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Nope.

Ellis and the Jets have received ZERO word from the NFL on if he will be suspended.

None.

He is not officially suspended for anything.

15. NYJetsMan7

NYJetsMan7 Member

Agreed!!!:metal:

16. 73klecko

73klecko Member

The Jets gave a #4 for Kevan Barlow about this time a couple of years ago.

17. EAF29

EAF29 Member

I saw some reports earlier this off season that the Cardinals had wanted a #2 pick plus more for Boldin. If we dangle Jones plus the conditional 2 or 3 that we have that isn't going to the Eagles in the Sheppard deal, that may swing them to get rid of Boldin. With the play of Steve Breaston last year, and the fact that Boldin is disgruntled, AZ execs could jump on a deal like this. -- Just a thought, nothing really to back any of this up.

18. Jam.

Jam. Banned

......Who?

19. ........

........ Trolls

Ugh. It's not worth explaining. A disaster from the moment he touched the ball here. Go look up Derrick Blaylock, too.

20. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

We just continued stacking our D this offseason. You think that if we move one player then it means we are rebuilding despite everything else the team has done? Give me a break.