NFL Preseason Preview - N.Y. Jets vs Atlanta Falcons

Discussion in 'Game Threads' started by PMCRW, Aug 9, 2007.

1. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

I cant remember when or if ever they have the straters go for more then 4-6 snap's. Around the last or second to last is when you see a full Quarter of play. Im with you when you talk about the "Rust" You hear in practice threads about the offense looking out of sink and hoping they dont carry that over into the regular season ; especially with New England as our first opponent.

2. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Im really loomking foward to seeing Brad Smith behind center. I think the order in which the QB's appear will be very telling in terms of who's got the Leg up for 2nd and 3rd spots.

3. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

Totally. I know our starters are good and we wont really get to see them in full effect till later in preseason.

Cant wait for that either. i hope they let him sling it a bit. I wanna see him bomb it downfield...

4. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Well, I think this year's TC has been very different than last year's. Pennington was named the starter, and since he isn't battling a Ramsey or any other QB's, he's gotten most of the first team reps in TC. That alone will make a difference. Last year he was sharing a lot of first team snaps.

Sure, it would be great to beat the Pats in week one, but it's a 16 game season. We were what, 4-4 last year and still made the playoffs. I also remember a year we were 10-0.... and it wasn't a happy ending. We NEED kids like Bender to improve by leaps and bounds if the running game is to be any better than last year. Establishing a ground attack is more important than winning the Pats game. If we can get Washington and Jones running well enough to force teams to game plan against and worry about the ground attack, the rest of the pieces will fall into place. (short of losing the entire freakin seconday to injuries).

5. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Hi T~Bird,

Your point is well taken about TC this year and about Penny getting more reps. That's good, very good. And I'm very happy about that (him taking more snaps). And he's healthier and more ready this year, no question. But I also know the only way we beat the Pats this year is to have the offense really clicking. And this has to be right out of the box in that game.

Belichick knows he can't beat us with Brady sitting on the bench, so he'll have his DEF really primed to stop our offense. This makes it all the more imperative that we're really humming and we move chains and consume beaucoup time off the clock and that means everyone on offense has to be really clicking.

I think Penny and the rest of our offense is capable of doing that, but there's no room for on-the-job training and a slow start to the season. And we won't win that game with 13 or 17 ponts either. These have to be sustained, time-consuming, beat them up, hard-fought yards and SCORES when we approach the red zone.

I know we can lose that first game and still make the playoffs, but damn... that would be one nice win and would go a long way for our confidence too. All I'm saying is, I'd like to see the 1st team playing at least the first quarter, especially since we don't know exactly what we have with Clarke yet and he'll need the reps. If Kendall is in there, better yet, but who knows if he'll even be here by then. My main point is, this is a year in which we can't have a slow start. We have to hit mid-season stride early, as in Game One. In that game, whichever team shows up ready to play and play as flawlessly as possible, that's the team that'll set the tone for the AFC East this year.

6. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

7. EarlytoRise

EarlytoRise Member

Agreed. Good posts. I'm probably going to need some tranquilizers for opening day.

8. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Agreed. After having watched them a bunch of times at Hofstra, i am looking forward to seeing how the 2d and 3rd teamers do in some "real" action.

I root for all of them to do well, of course.

Believe me, the coaches will be looking at the film of some of the guys who are on the edge of the 53 man roster. Those guys know this is an opportunity to do well and get noticed...and maybe get a job in the NFL. They havent been out there in the heat and humidity working their butts off for nuthin'.

9. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I've already told my wife she's driving to the Pats game and that's all there is to it.

I simply can't drive in the fetal position anymore. It's hard enough getting me into the car in that position let alone the suspicion it arouses with the local police if they see me driving with my knees up around my chin and using the cruise control stalk as an accelerator.

I'm better off curled up in the back seat with my Game-Face pillow, listening to Mike and the Mad Dog talk about how the Giants are doing.

10. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

I bet Petrino really wishes that he kept Matt Schaub now...

11. MarionBarber31

Oh God yeah. Who knew? two weeks after the trade, the dog poop hit the fan!

12. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Moreso, I see the Jets' losing there 1st 2 games. I just hope they don't have any major injuries in those 2 loses. Then the Jets' & MAngini will re-group & make the necessary adjustments & make there play-off run. And if they don't recover from there 1st 2 loses....Get ready for a high draft pick next year.

13. NYJet87

NYJet87 Member

anyone there wanna bark with me while the falcons come out?

14. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

And how! (regarding Abe.)

15. JeTsFaN_in_SoUtHFloRiDa

is this game gonna be on direct TV if you have outa town sports package + sunday ticket?

16. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

There goes that theory. Last night they left Payton in there for a full quarter. I would never have thought that would happen. Romo as well. Will the Jets do the same? I hope not.

17. MarionBarber31

Mangini is on record as saying it will have more to do with the NUMBER of PLAYS than "clock minutes". If the Falcons have 13 minutes of possession time in the first quarter, Penny and the O' starters will definitely still be in during the second quarter.

This makes perfect sense. He wants to see the starters execute a certain number of things. Their success/failure (and that of the Falcons) dictates the number of plays thay are on the field, thus determining the number of opportunities to execute the things he wants to see them do.

18. NJrocket24

NJrocket24 Well-Known Member

Fellas its been a long baseball summer and I can't wait for 7 pm tonight. I made a nice little depth chart and I'm looking foward to seeing the people I've been hearing about.

Season cannot get here soon enough.:gpc:

19. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

you should contact your cable provider...:breakdance:

20. EarlytoRise

EarlytoRise Member

I am pretty sure it will only be replayed at midnight on NFLN.