NFL players approve new CBA through 2030

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Since this was posted in the Jets section of this message board, doesn't this new CBA now have implications for the dead cap charge of Trumaine Johnson? I remember reading that if they agreed to a new CBA, then we can spread Tru's dead cap hit between this year and next year. Personally, I think we should still take the full hit this year if we can afford it. I assume Gase and Co will look to dump Lev Bell and possibly Quincy and Mosley (depending on how he plays this year) as they were Macagnan moves.

#21 Quinnenthebeast, Mar 15, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  2. NYJ79

NYJ79 Well-Known Member

Maybe once they go to 17 games you'll get an 8-9 team slipping thru, but as far as I can tell not a single sub-.500 team would've received a WC, just a few more 9-7/8-8 teams. And if they can beat the #2 and #1 teams on the road, then those teams weren't that good to begin with.

Im surprised this passed at all, given how many influential players were against this.

3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

His cap hit for 2020 would have been 12 mil. But now his 2020 cap hit will be 4 mil and 8 mil will be pushed to 2021 where cap will be much higher due to new TV contracts.

4. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Not all NFL Divisions are created equal. Under the current format, the 2010 Seattle Seahawks and 2014 Carolina Panthers made the playoffs with sub .500 records. With two extra playoff teams, only a matter of time before a sub .500 team wins the Super Bowl, rendering the regular season less important. Just like it is in the NHL and NBA.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Rotating the 17th game, home one year, away the next, will give half the teams an advantage of an extra home game in any one season, tilting the scales so to speak.

USUALLY the NFL gives the advantage to weaker teams (draft order, schedule, etc). So they MAY give the two teams that finished last in the division the prior year the extra home game?

Or the plan may be more diabolical: Every team will play one game in Europe.

6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It really must be tough earning all that money for catching, throwing a football or stopping a man from doing so or standing at the LOS and wobbling with the fat man opposite you for 30 seconds while getting 8m a season for 8-10 if you are lucky.

Tough work indeed, maybe they should go on strike. :rolleyes:

7. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

It's all about the money & ratings.

They don't care about the quality of the competition anymore.

Hey as long as the networks contnue to pay up and we keep on watching it's working (for their wallets).

8. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

I dont get the format at all. They should have just gone straight to 18 games. Made it even and then have 4 games per conference in the Wild Card round ( but not call it the wild card round anymore ) by going to 17 and only having one seed have a bye straight to the divisional round really unbalances things a lot.

I agree with an earlier post. I can imagine a lot of these 17th Games being played all over. Mexico, Canada, London and maybe Germany.

9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I heard there is a clause in the contract that , similar to the NBA , where you can sign 2 of your own FA and $1.5 million of their contract is excluded from counting against the cap... saw it somewhere on Twitter but can't seem to find it now .
    Anyone else hear anything about this ?

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

What international stadium will host the playoff game.

11. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I don’t think they will take home field advantage from a team, where did you hear about an international playoff game?

12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I agree. It rotates perfectly as is. I’m really not sure how the 17th game will be determined but I figured having a third divisional game means a possible 2 games on the road bs the same team - that doesn’t seem right. So I’m hoping it’s a game against the other conference and they just rotate home field every other year.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The new CBA is interesting. There are some very good things, and some very bad things. It was a very close vote. Will those who were against the new CBA become disgruntled? Will it serve to rip apart the NFLPA? Will teammates argue and be at odds?

It will take some time to adequately assess the effects of the changes, but as I see it, there are some things that are already definite positives and definite negatives.

Positives
    • Higher minimum salaries
    • Performance-based pay
    • No suspensions for marijuana use.
    • Improved post-career benefits
    • It's an 11-year deal which means we won't have to worry about this again for a while.
    • Fewer preseason games
    • Roster sizes increase from 53 to 55 and two additional players will be added to the active game day roster
    • Practice squad sizes will increase to as many as 14 players. Their salaries will increase to $10,500 per week, an increase of $2,500.
    • Increased benefits and pensions for retired players.

Negatives
    • The salary cap in 2020 won't be as high as earlier projected. I had seen the figure of $200 million, but the cap will only be $198.2 million. That's not a huge difference, but could mean the difference from having to cut a player to get under the cap or one less FA that a team will be able to sign.
    • Expanding the playoff field to two extra teams. It's getting like the NFL. Why even bother to have a regular season? Also, only the top team in each conference will get a bye the first week of the playoffs.
    • Expanding the league schedule to 17 games
    • Cutting training camp practices in pads from 28 to 16, and those practices from 3 hours to 2 1/2 hours. The game is already sloppy enough. The product on the field is going to get a lot worse. I appreciate that they're trying to keep players healthier, but I think the practices in pads actually keeps them healthier. I think there has been an uptick in some injuries because players aren't used to the hitting.

Mixed
    • Joint practices limited to 4??? I'm not certain whether this is actually a negative or positive, as I don't recall the Jets ever even having that many joint practices with other teams, much less more than that. On the surface, it seems like there would be a greater chance of injury when practicing against another team, but also it seems like these practices might help focus and preparation.
    • Some player discipline will be taken out of the commissioner's hands. A "neutral decision-maker" will now rule on most commissioner decision cases. I wonder who this "neutral" person or persons will be?
    • How the 17th game will be handled. Right now, it's undecided. It could alternate between conferences from one year to the next or it could be an international game.
    • Teams can no longer use both the franchise and transition tags in the same season.
    I'm sure the decriminalization of marijuana was a big one for the players. From an NFL.com article (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...yer-vote-ratifies-new-cba-through-2030-season) regarding the agreement:

I wonder what the penalties will be for testing positive? The number of players tested will also be reduced.

Even though many states are stopping to prosecute people for marijuana use and are expunging criminal records, it is still illegal on a federal level, and I imagine that if someone has a serious automobile accident as a result of being intoxicated from THC, that they still will be arrested. Hopefully, this will cause no problems and no players will be arrested or become involved in automobile accidents due to the higher level of THC allowed in their urine. As far as I can tell, there is no agreed upon impairment limit. Several states have a per se limit of only 5 nanograms per millileter of urine, and a few states have a per se limit of only 1 nanogram per milliliter. I'm glad that marijuana use is being de-criminalized, but have some concern that with the much higher limit of allowable nanograms per milliliter that players may get arrested in certain states, or it may lead to players being involved in more automobile accidents. I don't know which states have the strictest limits and who still prosecute for marijuana use, but if any of those states have an NFL team, could players start refusing to play for those teams? It will be interesting to see, but I hope no one gets seriously injured or dies because of the higher allowable limits.

Caps are going to have to go up to accommodate the higher salaries and increased roster sizes. Questions: With higher salaries for each player beginning in 2021, will the salary of those who already have contracts go up automatically, or will their contracts have to be amended/re-written? If the contracts have to be re-written, would that give some players an out if they were disgruntled? Would that make them FAs, or would their team retain their rights?

I think it's way past time that roster sizes, game day rosters, and practice squad rosters increase. I think it's dumb to have players on the roster and not have them active for games. What's the purpose in that? I would have thought that would have changed in the new CBA.

JetsNation06 and Brook! like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

That starts in 2021.

15. NCJetsfan

There's no 3-year gap. It starts in 2021.

16. NCJetsfan

At least 2031 before that can happen.

17. NCJetsfan

That hasn't been determined. It may alternate between conferences from year-to-year, or it could be an international game.

18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

That 17th game should be a 7th divisional game and rotate every year vs the other 3 teams in your division and alternate home/road.

Brook! likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

It does mean that the cap hit can be spread.

I totally disagree that we should take the full charge for Johnson this year. Being able to spread it means that we can add another FA or two this year, thus filling more holes, and see faster improvement, possibly leading to a playoff spot this coming season. Hopefully, those FAs will be able to help us for several years each. I see no advantage to taking it all this year.

Mosley's not going anywhere anytime soon. Even if he doesn't play well this year (there's little chance of that), the Jets would only save $5 million by cutting him next year and would take a $12.5 million dead money hit on the cap. IMO it will be at least 2022 before the Jets think about cutting him. In 2022 they'll only incur a $3 million dead money charge, and would save $15.5 million on the cap. If they wait until 2023, they'll only incur a $1.5 million dead money charge, and will save $17 million on the cap.

With regards to Bell, if the Jets cut him in 2021, they will incur a $4 million dead money cap charge, but will save $9.5 million on the cap. In 2022, the Jets would only incur a $2 million dead money cap charge, and would save $13 million.

As of now, the Jets will have 27 FAs in 2021, but the only starters will be Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Steve McLendon, Avery Williamson, Brian Winters and Jonotthan Harrison. Adams is in the process of getting a new contract. Maye shouldn't be that expensive unless he blows up in 2020. McLendon will probably be retired by then. Williamson may be traded this offseason, or allowed to walk and the Jets possible get a compensatory pick. Winters, if he's not cut this offseason, will probably be allowed to walk unless he has a career year. Harrison could be signed to a backup contract or allowed to walk, and would be no great loss. So what is the compelling reason for taking the full cap charge this year for Johnson?

20. NCJetsfan

Interesting, but as someone else points out, it would mean a 2nd home game vs a division opponent. It would just be the Jets luck to finally get to the point where they have a chance to go to the playoffs, and then have to play the Pats at NE 2x a year and that knock them out of the playoffs. I think I'd rather that 17th game be against another non-conference opponent. It could be done in cycles of 4-5 years so that over that time period, teams would play games against another division in the other conference. I think that would create more interest and be better for parity.