NFL Combine 2020 thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Feb 26, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't have a clue which one is the best prospect or who will be the best LT in the NFL, but for whatever it's worth, the people who were saying all season that Thomas was the best tackle were college football commentators and media "experts," not NFL GMs or scouts. Their opinions could agree, and then again, they could differ widely. It wouldn't be the first time that happened. I like Becton the best because he reminds me of McKinney. I like his size, mean streak attitude on the field, athleticism, that he can block well both in the passing and rushing attack, and that he's willing to play wherever. He doesn't have an arrogant attitude, either. That said, he could struggle with weight problems, or his weight could contribute to an injury or cause his athleticism and speed to fade prematurely.

It will be interesting to see how this class of OTs and WRs turn out. I think this is the best and most interesting draft class in quite a while.

2. NCJetsfan

I've seen a couple of mocks where Cleveland takes Prince Tega Wanogho!!! Have you seen those? I like him a lot, but not more than Becton or Thomas. I have him just above or equal with Wirfs because he has played LT consistently in college, but he is rawer technically than Wirfs. Wirfs has played a little LT, but has played primarily RT, and was better at RT. That's a bit of a concern for me. He may be able to make the transition to LT in the NFL. He certainly has the athleticism and agility to do so, but may not have the right mindset.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That would be hilarious if they took Prince, that would be great. Wirfs has great coaching though with Iowa, I think that school will prep him for the next level.

Also wtf happened to Trey Adams? Might grab him in the 5th round at this rate.

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Yes, he has had an utter mare.

With the number 11 pick welcome to the Jets Trey A...... Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Don’t discount Simmons to the giants.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Yes, it would be totally hilarious, although I think he's a really good prospect, just not as good as the top 4.

Good question regarding Adams. I think the thinking or rather the fear is that he can't stay healthy, so, few teams may be willing to consider him before the 3rd round. I think he struggled a bit this past season from what I've read about him, and that surely doesn't help. If he's there in the 4th or 5th round, then we should definitely pounce. Heck, I'd take him in the 3rd. If nothing else, he would be excellent depth, but he could easily wind up being a quality starter if he can stay healthy. Any team drafting him, however, better have a quality backup and a great medical staff.

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Here's the cons of Adams from TDN.

Harris: He's missed significant time due to injury. So his availability could be an issue in the NFL. Not a great overall athlete. Doesn’t play with great bend on the perimeter. As a result, smaller speed rushers could be problematic for him on the edge. Lacks true positional flexibility.

Solak: Doesn't have otherworldly lateral agility. As such, struggles with B-gap blitzes, even when he clearly sees them coming. Can be a bit upright out of his stance, which limits explosiveness at the snap. Uprightness also proves an issue when approaching rushers who can get low; Adams is 6'7, for God's sake. Can be threatened with speed off the edge from 9-techniques, though it seemed more effective in 2016 than 2017. Lacks true displacement power in the running game against interior defenders given his lack of natural leverage, but can easily fight to stalemates and position hips to create rushing lanes.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/trey-adams

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Probably...when the Jets obtain Mahomes from the Cheifs.:p

K'OB and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'd prefer a WR or CB or Edge at that point. Why reach that far? The Jets have done more than their share of trying to catch lightening in bottle, especially on those guys who have a long injury history.

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Agreed, I wouldn't take him until the 5th round.

11. NCJetsfan

Agreed. I wouldn't take him in the 1st or 2nd, but I'd be willing to use a 3rd or 4th round pick on him. If nothing else, he'd be very good depth and insurance, and with some work, could develop into a quality starter if he can stay healthy. There are players who struggle with injuries in college, then get to the NFL and stay healthy.

12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Damn Simmons ran a 4.39. These dudes get bigger, faster, freakier every year, it’s crazy.

Good news for Jets as this pretty much guarantees a top 10 spot.

FJF likes this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

3 qbs and 3 defense are a lock in the top 10 .

dawinner127 likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

For sure. I know it might be the unpopular opinion but I think Simmons will struggle in the NFL more than advertised. He reminds me a lot of Jabrill Peppers and played they hybrid slot in the 4-2-5 defense. He also had the protection of the best defensive line in college football in front of him.

I think his ceiling is Thomas Davis (was a 220 pound safetyish player in college) but I just don't see it. I've been wrong before but those players as the roamer in college have a ton of freedom to go in make plays. It becomes a lot more difficult when you have actual assignments and a tackle running at you to seal the edge.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm crazy but I rarely buy the smaller edge rusher thing when the transition to the NFL happens for tackles. Smaller edge rushers don't last and may grab some situational sacks but they're rarely a true nag on an offensive tackle all game.

Adams is a stud IMO. He was a top 5-10 pick before he got hurt as a junior. He'll absolutely swallow the Brian Burns' of the NFL with ease. Again, I could be wrong.

His injury history will make him fall and rightfully so. He's a red flag because of it. But if he stays healthy he's going to be a steal for someone in the 3rd.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

He might be available later then the 3rd, hell if he's there in the 4th or 5th round, gotta pick him up. The dude had excellent tape. Get his ass in shape and with some good coaching he could be a steal.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. DefenseWinsChampionships

Could be a wasted pick as he looked God awful throughout the combine. Every drill he attempted, he finished dead last amongst other Olineman. Unfortunately, he's damaged goods due to one too many injuries to recover from...

18. 101GangGreen101

Combine isn't everything. He could've received some shitty coaching prior to the combine.

That's not a bad pick in the 5th round.

19. NCJetsfan

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...iah-simmons-top-performer-players/4922351002/

NFL combine winners, losers: Isaiah Simmons stands alone among top performers
    Michael Middlehurst-Schwartz
    USA TODAY

The true impact from the NFL scouting combine might not be known for months — if ever.

While the NFL draft's evaluation stage in Indianapolis tends to feature a number of breakout performers, as well as players whose outings leave something to be desired, the event is still only one piece of teams' scouting process. And with testing and on-field workouts often less important than information gleaned in interviews and medical evaluations, the full picture of the combine's impact on the NFL draft can remain a mystery well after the final pick is in.

But while the impact of their performances might be hard to determine, several prospects this year distinguished themselves from their peers — for better or worse.

Here is our look at the biggest winners and losers of this year's NFL scouting combine:

NFL combine winners
    18. Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri: Amid his peers' underwhelming workouts, Okwuegbunam clocked a 4.49-second 40, by far the fastest of any tight end. He's still raw, but his ability to threaten down the seam could be enticing in the middle rounds.

17. A.J. Dillon, RB, Boston College: Let the Derrick Henry comparisons begin. Dillon is three inches shorter than the NFL's reigning rushing champion, but both weigh 247 pounds and offer a hard-charging style as workhorse backs. Improving his agility (a 7.13-second three-cone drill was second worst among all players at his position) and pass-catching skills will be critical for Dillon to establish himself as more than a battering ram, but his 4.53-second 40 and 41-inch vertical (best of all backs) showed he's not a plodder.

16. Jeremy Chinn, S, Southern Illinois: The Football Championship Subdivision star made waves with his measurements, as he registered a 4.45-second 40, 41-inch vertical and 11-6 broad jump at 6-3 and 221 pounds. Chinn is a developmental prospect who will require patience as he improves his recognition and anticipation, but his athletic package is one teams will gamble on.

15. Antonio Gibson, RB/WR, Memphis: Gibson worked out with the wide receivers, but his future might be as a running back featured heavily in the passing game. Running the 40 in 4.39 seconds at 6-0 and 228 pounds, he offers intriguing potential as a big-play threat after scoring 14 touchdowns on 77 touches and averaging 11.2 yards a carry at Memphis.

14. Jalen Hurts, QB, Oklahoma: There's not much a quarterback can prove throwing in the combine setting, but Hurts still made a solid impression with his accuracy and arm strength. Strong showings in the 40 (4.59 seconds) and broad jump (10-5) also set him apart from many of the other passers.

13. Cam Akers, RB, Florida State: Between his 4.47-second 40 and winning performance on the field, particularly when catching passes, Akers gave plenty of reasons for teams to take an even closer look at him. The former five-star recruit had an uneven college career, but Florida State's offensive problems might have obscured much of Akers' potential.

12. Henry Ruggs III, WR, Alabama: A 4.27-second 40 is hardly disappointing; the time is tied for the fourth best of any player since 2003, when the combine first began tracking data. Yet Ruggs had an even loftier goal: breaking Bengals receiver John Ross' record of 4.22 seconds. Though he fell short of that mark, the 5-11, 188-pound speedster was clearly one of the biggest standouts in Indianapolis, as he also posted a 42-inch vertical leap and 10-11 broad jump.

11. Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville: At 6-7 and 364 pounds, the combine's heaviest player was always bound to stand out. Becton, who later measured in at 357 pounds before his workout, created an even bigger stir when he ran a 5.10-second 40, though the test has limited relevance for offensive linemen. Becton's unofficial 10-yard split of 1.77 seconds was also a very good time for a player of his size.

10. C.J. Henderson, CB, Florida: No corner is going to come within striking distance of Jeff Okudah as the top prospect at the position, but Henderson might be pulling ahead in the race to be the second off the board after the Ohio State star. Both his 4.39-second 40 and superb workout affirmed he's a fluid player built to handle top-tier receivers. A spot in the top 20 looks like a good bet.

9. Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame: After Claypool weighed in at 238 pounds, many observers wondered if the 6-4 target had been bulking up to play tight end. Though he later dismissed that idea, a 4.42-second 40 and fluid workout helped position him as a tantalizing hybrid option. For a team willing to be creative in his deployment, Claypool could generate significant mismatches.

8. Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne: Talent evaluators might question the level of competition Dugger faced in Division II, but there shouldn't be any concerns about how he measures up to his peers after this weekend. The 6-1, 217-pound safety showed off with a 42-inch vertical, 11-2 broad jump and 4.49-second 40. Dugger might have a chance at cracking the first round and likely won't have to wait long in the second if he has to wait another day.

7. Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor: Overdue for recognition as one of the promising receiver prospects in his class, Mims looked like one of the most athletically imposing pass catchers in Indianapolis. At 6-3 and 207 pounds, he secured a 4.38-second 40 that tied for third best among all receivers and led his position with a 6.66-second three-cone drill. Known as a great jump-ball target, he also landed a 38 1/2-inch vertical and 10-11 broad jump. Capping the night with a solid session catching the ball, Mims bolstered his case to go early in the second round.

6. Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa: Becton stands alone in this class when it comes to size, but Wirfs is in his own tier among offensive tackles when it comes to athleticism. The 6-5, 320-pound former high school wrestling champion set a combine record for offensive linemen with a 36 1/2-inch vertical leap and tied another with a 10-1 broad jump. Wirfs' swift footwork was evident in his on-field workout, and a 4.85-second 40 (best of all offensive linemen) and 7.65-second three-cone drill further underscored his movement ability. All of the top offensive tackles fared well, but Wirfs might have been the biggest standout.

20. NCJetsfan

5. Willie Gay Jr., LB, Mississippi State: Covering tight ends and receivers downfield is Gay's calling card, and he showcased his highly sought-after skill set at the combine. The 6-1, 243-pound linebacker boasted outstanding numbers in the 40 (4.46 seconds), vertical leap (39 1/2 inches) and broad jump (11-4). His interview sessions were likely integral to his draft stock given some missteps at Mississippi State, including an altercation with a teammate and multiple suspensions, but Gay appears to be an ascendant prospect.

4. Ezra Cleveland, OT, Boise State: Wirfs grabbed the spotlight among offensive linemen as one of the biggest names in action, but Cleveland's performance was superlative — albeit in a more subtle fashion. His 4.46-second short shuttle — typically one of the better barometers for athleticism among tackles — was easily the best of his group, as was his 7.26-second three-cone drill. Though he has to become stronger to more effectively engage pass rushers, Cleveland has substantial upside as a blindside blocker and could be selected in the second round.

3. Jonathan Taylor, RB, Wisconsin: With no real pecking order for the top running backs, Taylor made quite a case for himself to be the first ball carrier selected. His 4.39-second 40 was the best at his position and particularly impressive for someone weighing in at 226 pounds. Taylor also fared well catching the ball during drills, helping assuage some concerns about his potential limitations in the passing game.

2. Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU: So much for the questions about his athleticism. The 6-1, 202-pound target notched a sterling set of numbers in testing: a 4.43-second 40 (tied for eighth among receivers), 37 1/2-inch vertical leap and 10-4 broad jump. Jefferson also had perhaps the smoothest on-field workout of any player at his position, highlighting his primary value as a trusted outlet for any quarterback. His potential place in the first round is looking increasingly secure.

1. Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson: Abstaining from positional workouts might typically preclude a player from being labeled the combine's top performer, but Simmons didn't have much to prove after his athletic testing. The 6-4, 238-pound reigning ACC defensive player of the year recorded a 4.39-second 40, the second-best time of any linebacker since 2003, along with a 39-inch vertical leap and 11-0 broad jump. Though Simmons might face a ceiling in the draft given questions of the relative value of an off-ball linebacker, he reinforced his athleticism and skill set put him in a singular class that makes him worthy of consideration in the top five picks.

NFL combine losers
    8. Myles Bryant, S, Washington: To be fair, Bryant excelled in the short shuttle (4.02 seconds) and three-cone drill (6.81 seconds). That agility doesn't completely compensate, however, for a 4.62-second 40 and 31 1/2-inch vertical leap, both problematic marks for a player who stands just 5-7 7/8 with short (29 1/2-inch) arms. Bryant's future is in the slot, and even that might prove a difficult spot for him.

7. Jalen Elliott, S, Notre Dame: His role at the next level is a mystery, as a 4.80-second 40 (worst among all defensive backs) eradicated what little chance he had of been given any assignments as a high safety. Yet he's not a reliable tackler, and his stiffness signals problems with short-area work.

6. Salvon Ahmed, RB, Washington: His 4.62-second 40 was jarring, particularly for a player said to have clocked a 4.32 mark in college. A choppy runner with questionable vision, Ahmed needed to show he offered breakaway speed to entice teams, and he instead only raised further questions.

5. Calvin Throckmorton, OL, Oregon: His standing was on the downswing early in the week, when his 32 1/2-inch arms portended a move to guard. The real hit, though, came in testing, as his 4.98-second short shuttle and 8.07-second three-cone drill served as red flags for any potential matchups against nimble defensive linemen. Throckmorton offers value as a versatile backup, but teams might see that as his ceiling.

4. Trey Adams, OT, Washington: Standing 6-8 and 318 pounds, Adams is in a no-man's land as a left tackle who lacks the athletic tools needed to handle NFL pass rushers. His 5.60-second 40 was the worst of any player at the combine, and his performance during the agility portion of his workout was subpar. Any team drafting Adams will need not only to be comfortable with those shortcomings, but also his medical outlook after his torn anterior cruciate ligament in 2017 and back surgery in 2018.

3. Cameron Dantzler, CB, Mississippi State: Given his stellar on-field workout, Dantzler fared better than some other players on this portion of this list. But a 4.64-second 40 is approaching prohibitive territory for a cornerback. Improving on that time at his pro day will be paramount to avoiding a draft-day slide in a class replete with other cornerbacks poised to be taken in the first two rounds.

2. Jared Pinkney, TE, Vanderbilt: The downward trajectory of Pinkney's last year continued in Indianapolis, as his 4.96-second 40 was worst among all tight ends. Rigid in his on-field workout, he might be at risk of falling in the draft if his potential as a pass catcher comes under further scrutiny.

1. Jauan Jennings, WR, Tennessee: In the Southeastern Conference, Jennings regularly pulled down jump balls and racked up yards after the catch. After netting a 4.72-second 40 and a 29-inch vertical leap, both second worst at his position, the 6-3, 215-pound target will face questions about whether he can do either effectively in the NFL. In a deep receiver class, Jennings might have a hard time standing out given his disconcerting athletic profile.