NFL Combine 2020 thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Detroit has to sell the 3. No chance the redskins move off chase young nor should they. The draft really starts with the Giants .

3. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

I believe we may have 2 first round picks this year. I can see trading back a few spots and then taking an OT, WR (hopefully Ruggs), edge rusher or corner. As for the 2nd first rounder, package our 2nd round pick and the Leonard Williams 3rd rounder and grab Jefferson or Robbins.

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Trading back a few spots might get us another 2 this year and possibly one for next year. Getting another 1 would require trading Adams, which is likely not happening.

5. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

What I am saying is that our 2nd and one of our 3rds can move us back into the late first round for a Higgins, Jefferson or Dobbins

6. CotcheryFan

In that case, I'd be open to the first 2 players, but not Dobbins. RB is not a top priority now. I'd prefer to stay put and get 2 OL or 1 OL and 1 WR with out first 2 picks.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Any idea when the first drills start? Been working extra hours to get time off on the weekend.

I agree someone will try to jump Miami for Tua. That's said it wouldn't surprise me if Bengals go for Tua instead of Burrows if he's healthy. I think Tua will have the better career if healthy. Either way someone is going to try and leap Miami for one of them.

8. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Becton weighed in 10 lbs heavier than his playing weight. I thought he might weigh in less. Not sure putting on muscle is a good thing, he already has enough power. But as others suggested losing a lot weight isn't good either.

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I heard Becton being interviewed on NFL radio. Will play “wherever you want” RT, LT, or guard.

His Head is in the right place. He’s going to be an exciting prospect.

Jets’ mission statement is to find durable and versatile players. You never know.

#9 GQMartin, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  10. FJF

Love everything I hear on Twitter about the jets combine so far

11. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

There was a report that came out yesterday stating the Jets have been interested in Ruggs since the beginning of the 2019 season. Maybe they go OT at 11 and try to move back up to the late teens, early 20s if Ruggs makes it there. Imagine a day 1 where the Jets get Becton or Thomas and Ruggs :rolleyes:

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  12. FJF

I would sign up for that. This where we need a real magician. Maybe you can slide down a few spots, pick up another 2nd and 3rd and use that to move back in to the first. Ruggs is definitely a Gase wide out, fast and good route runner.

GQMartin and NYJFOREVER like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

and

Trading back up into the first would likely cost next year's first, or our 2nd and both 3rd round picks this year. Don't forget that our 2nd round pick is fairly low (the 16th pick of the 2nd round, I think). I would be totally opposed to that. In addition, the chances of our trading down a few slots and still being able to grab one of the top 4 OT prospects are slim and none. We wouldn't be getting Becton or Thomas and Ruggs. We'd either be reaching for Josh Jones, Austin Jackson with our 1st pick and maybe getting Justin Jefferson (if we were extremely lucky) with our 2nd 1st round pick, or we'd be taking Ruggs with our 1st pick and then hopefully getting Prince Tega-Wanogho. That's not nearly as enticing as Becton/Ruggs or Thomas/Ruggs. That move could prevent our getting a C in this draft who had a chance to start this year, or could prevent our getting an edge rusher, CB, WR, or maybe even OT that we really like/need next year. No thanks.

If Douglas wants to trade down so that we have 9 or 10 picks this year, fine, but I'm totally opposed to trading up unless he thinks we will miss out on the top OT we want or one of the top 4 OTs altogether.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Just those two? Cause that would be terrible. Jets have 4 picks between the 1st two days and need to come away with 4 impact players or more hopefully, preferably all on offensive side of ball.

Coming away with only one of the OTs & WRs would be a travesty. Trade down if anything, do not trade up.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. FJF

Might knock him down a round . Polished route runner though. Would love to get him here.

16. CotcheryFan

Robby Anderson's a doctor? :p

17. FJF

I can easily show some legit
    mocks that have 2 of the top ots available after 11. If you get a good return of picks in the 2nd -3rd rounds range you most definitely should use them to move around the board. Can’t play this game with scared money. Jets have holes but also not much top talent. Going up for a game breaker wouldn’t be the worst thing Joe D could do. Mostly though, Joe D has to be fluid. There’s could be a few different scenarios that play out and a good gm will be able to capitalize.

#17 FJF, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's about acquiring talent. Assuming we're pretty much definitely going offensive tackle at 11, if we see a run of receivers go in the late terms/20's I wouldn't be shocked or upset to see us move up. We need another receiver as badly as we need an offensive tackle. Sounds like we want Ruggs a lot. Rightfully so; he's going to be a really good player.

He's going to fly up the boards when he challenges the record 40 time this week. I hope he runs a 4.5 and is sitting for us at 42 but that won't happen.

19. NCJetsfan

Mocks don't mean anything. Lots of supposed experts make mocks, and they're wild guesses and jokes. The only one of the supposed experts who gets more right than wrong is Rich Gosselin of a Dallas newspaper.

I totally disagree with you that the Jets should use 2nd and 3rd round picks to move around the board. It would be one thing if they only had a couple of holes to fill, were already a contender for the Super Bowl and just needed a couple of pieces. They don't have just a couple of holes to fill, and they aren't already a serious contender for the SB. They have more holes than they have positions set. It has nothing to do with "playing the game with scared money" and everything to do with making the wisest use of one's resources, being smart and realistic, and realizing where one is in the rebuild, and also not "falling in love" with players and thinking you have to have them and no one else.

The one point I agree with you on is that "Going up for a game breaker wouldn't be the worst thing Joe D could do." Just because it isn't the worst thing, doesn't mean he should do it. It still would be a bad move and a waste of draft resources.

20. NCJetsfan

Yes it's about acquiring talent, a LOT of talent, not just two players. Yes, we need another WR as badly as we need an OT, but it's a deep draft for WRs. I'm not nearly as sold on Ruggs as you are. I'd rather have Jefferson of LSU, Lamb, and Jeudy, and possibly a couple of other WRs than Ruggs. For that matter, I'd rather keep Anderson and draft a tall WR that runs a 4.4 something, than take Ruggs and not get another WR.

Do you see Ruggs as a potential #1? I don't. I see him as a better Richie Anderson. Speed is a wonderful thing, but I don't want to see Douglas and the Jets become Al Davis and the Raiders redoux obsessing on speed at the Combine.