NFL.com: Mark Sanchez unlikely to play week 1

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jeti, Aug 29, 2013.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

Or maybe Smith may actually play well... You know, since thats in the best interest of this franchise. Or maybe your own agenda of declaring him a bust is more important...

Its funny how you want a rookie 2nd round pick to fail already. What a fan!

2. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

You guys are missing the point. First off all was anyone really blown away with Browning Nagle? at any point?

Listen...my point is simple. As crazy as it sounds that you should give Simms a shot, you can not make any arugument thats any better to start the other 2.

Do most agree that Sanchez...due to make over 10 million next year...will be cut after this year? Does anyone really believe he will be on the roster?

Ok...so now Smith. Has he shown that he is even close to NFL ready? Right now? Do I want to cut and give up on Smith? No way.

Are the Jets going to the Superbowl this year?

If you are a jet fan for awhile and seems you are....after the passes you saw this kid complete to mostly no guys that will be go to receivers for the Jets this year beside Spadola? spelling....behind the same offensive line that Mark almost got killed by...you are not at all interested in the 25 percent chance you may have found a diamond in the rough? Not one bit curious?

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

None of that explains how if Geno started we would go 0-16, that's crazy talk. Santonio and Revis (x2) hurt themsevles without getting touched either. So did Shumpert, Rose, and Baron Davis. Should I go on? Does it discredit their injury they got hurt without being touched? I don't see how that's a point at all. He got hurt, he lost snaps and valuable practice because of it. It happens in sports.

In game 1 he had how many drives? He had a very soft/easy offense going where they barely had him make difficult choices. Game 3 he was thrown in the fire, in what I think was his first introduction to the full playbook, and he looked like a rookie. Going into the season with him, I don't see us routinely asking him to throw out of the back of our end zone. I don't see us asking him to routinely throw on 3rd and long down the field. I see us trying to ease him along, like we did with Sanchez. So I disagree that game 1 to game 3 is an accurate assement to say he didn't improve. I think game 3 was our first real look.

If we can agree other teams to play their backups if we start Simms, I agree he's ready. Otherwise, I'm just as speculative with Simms as I am with Geno and Sanchez and McElroy. None of them look ready, none of them have shown me enough. None of them have impressed as a QB. But, I don't think we are a bad enough overall team where if we start one of the four we go 0-16. That's the crazy talk. That's silly. I'll eat my words if we go 0-16, but I'm sure nobody will care at that point.

4. jaywayne12

I think what some of the guys posting are thinking about this Simms thing is that we are looking at numbers...Simms 75 percent blah blah blah.

Could care less about the numbers..it was his passes. Where he put the ball. His command. He got the crap beaten out of him in the first 3 quarters and still put up those numbers. Did anyone see that touchdown pass against the Giants? Did you guys see the location of the passes tonight? Where he was putting the ball? Did you see how many drops they had? How many times he was sacked?

This is not blind love..and we could be wrong...this kid can throw the ball and is fearless.

5. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Simms in there.

If we truly are talking open competition, then he clearly won it.

No guarantee he can do this in regular season, but he did earn the chance.

6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I think he's shown flashes like every other QB that's played in the preseason right now. I see where the excitement comes from, but I also see that excitement for Geno and even Sanchez. They all showed flashes then they all showed the reason why are in a QB competition. If we could combine all our QBs into one QB, we would be set at the QB position. They each make up for another one's weakness

7. laxin

laxin Active Member

I can make a good argument for all 3 QBs to start over Simms. I like him a lot, but its time to look at it from a realistic standpoint.

If anyone thinks its more realistic for Simms to play well enough like he has vs 3's, vs Tampas defense week 1 than it is for Geno to improve his play and cut back on some rookie mistakes is losing it mentally. I mean Simms has no college experience and has looked very good vs guys who wont be on an NFL team come Sunday. I get that he has shown some very bright tools, but to make it seem like he is a better option than Sanchez or Geno (and I think Sanchez blows), is pretty crazy.

I would be all for him turning out to be the next great thing, but its hard to imagine his play carrying over vs a real NFL team that will gameplan week in and week out.

I am definitely curious to see what we have in him, but I dont think Im curious enough yet to go all in on an UDFA who looked good in the preseason. For Rex, someone who has his job on the line, I dont see him going all in either. Same goes for Idzik who just drafted Geno in the 2nd round.

If we had another preseason game where the 1s would play vs 1s, I would be all for him starting that game to see him in there. Now? With week 1 right around the corner? I dont see it happening. For instance, what if he sucked? How do we just go from an UDFA to Geno (or Sanchez if healthy) then? How does that make Idzik's ability to scout/draft look?

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I hate being the buzzkill but the reason the Jets don't want to start Matt Simms is that momentary successes in pre-season aside the odds are really good he turns into a pumpkin at midnight and the Jets haven't gotten anything out of the deal.

It's not normal for good NFL QB's to come out of nowhere after a completely undistinguished college career and be good in the NFL. In fact, if you're looking at really good QBs, not just the guys who put together a nice season at some point it is unheard of. Kurt Warner spent 3 seasons in Arena League Football developing a new skill set that then turned out to be really good in the dome in St. Louis.

I like the underdog as much as the next guy but if players were capable of having great careers after not being starting caliber QB's in college there would have been a bunch of them over the years. QB is too valuable for a resource like free QB talent to go unexploited.

What happens instead is that those guys who get the chance to play occasionally do well for a short period of time and then they revert back to their normal talent level and the buzz stops.

It's not like they're developing a knuckleball that nobody can hit.

9. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Woahhh...I didn't say anything about 0-16...

Listen, whomever starts I'm behind them 100%. All I'm saying is after playing a number of years of NFL football and watching it all my life...Smith doesn't look MENTALLY ready and Simms does. Smith has ALL the PHYSICAL tools just like Simms...it's just not there yet in the mind for Smith. Maybe that year on the PS for Simms slowed things down for him from a game perspective. You know...playing against 2's and 3's...the speed of the game is still the same.

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Obviously that was an exaggeration. I am just saying it will not be the best move for Geno and the Jets will also lose a lot in the process.

11. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

This is such an obvious no brainer , what will happen when the Jets put Geno in to face a 1st team squad of hungry wolves like the Bucs, and with Revis no doubt showing he is still all world.

What drama....and very expected that Geno is doomed to fail because the Jets actually believe he is ready to take an NFL regular season snap. I feel sorry for the kid - maybe he'll eventually learn the ropes and make some progress along the way, but to throw him into fire against a team like Tampa....this going to be ugly.....

But have no fear.....Geno's odds for making it to half time are slim....and Simms odds for being put in to replace him might be pretty high.

Will the game still be close when this happens? Tune in....

12. feldspar

feldspar Member

That's definitely the best way to look at it, and I agree 100%. Geno gets a chance to play with no risk of controversy. To me, that's perfect. Very easy to switch to Sanchez later...the Jets can even pretend that he isn't fully healthy even if he is for a bit if Geno is playing well.

I might add that the Bucs are a pretty favorable opponent to be up against for a rookie's debut. They aren't the best team in the league, so there is a better chance to build confidence.

Crazy that it worked out this way.

13. jaywayne12

correct me if im wrong but Sanchez had about 7 more college starts than Simms. Simms started the last 7 games for Tenn. Sanchez had one full season.

Again guys...Im not here saying this guy is the next person to walk on water. I just think that anyone that thinks Sanchez will be on the roster this time next year is not being serious.

So that leaves us with Geno. I mean, if this year is not a Superbowl year, lets not waste it on Sanchez. So now Geno or Simms. I get the argument of Geno but if you are going to say he has real college experience...they guy completely fell apart in the second half of last season. He dropped off the charts as a number one draft pick. You have coaches taking hits on his ability to prepare.

Now lets throw some of that away..especially the perception...just like everyone killed Pete Carrol for saying Sanchez wasnt ready to be an NFL qb. Yes Sanchez went to 2 afc championships but those days are long gone now.

Back to Geno. Im trying to remember where he shined in preseason and I cant find it. He isnt ready. So if he isnt ready YET...why not give this kid a look.

Are the Jets so setup for the future that they cant take a real look? Are you guys so sure that Geno will even be a decent qb?

and the bolded part above..now are they not all political reasons and really weak ones at that? Are there any teams that are slated to be less than 7 win teams that wouldnt take a serious look at a guy like this.

Arent the Jets the only franchise that would not because they have a 10 million dollar qb probable bust on the roster along with a roll of the dice second round pick?

To me, claiming no faith in a a UFDA qb compared to a second round qb? Again...using that logic would you ever give a 6th round pick a look? If not would you have given Brady a look? NOT SAYING HE IS A BRADY..but you get my point.

My final point is this..where the hell are we going this year unless we have a very good qb? Nowhere. So how do you intend to find out of this was just a luck 2 weeks of a qb throwing Bee bees all over the place..getting his ass kicked and sacked yet still throwing for 75 percent throwing over 40 passes.

When is the right time to find out? Arent we hoping that by next year we are back in the hunt and not having another qb competition..whether its someone on th roster this year or a very healthy draft of qbs next year.

Shouldnt this be the year where no rocks are unturned?

#53 jaywayne12, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  14. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Genos shitty performance vs the Giants has me convinced hes not ready. I really hope Im wrong. I want Rex to keep his job and that makes Tampa a must win.

15. mezzavo

Damn skippy!!!! I vote THIS right there!!!! Based upon the comparison of preseason work I believe, in good conscience, that Matt Simms has EARNED the right to start.

16. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I knew this was gonna happen. Sanchez had trouble lifting his arm on the sideline. you have to start Geno eventhough I don't think he's ready.

17. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Simms baby. Phil, pull some strings for ya boy.

18. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i'd rather throw geno to the wolves and have questions answered than put in simms and think for more than a second he could be a starter in the nfl

19. mezzavo

Why? I could just as easily start Simms...now couldn't I... :metal:

20. mezzavo

Why couldn't he be a starter in the NFL??

You know, I've not seen one damn realistic excuse as to WHY Matt Simms couldn't start in the NFL.

I'm not talking about college program...college stat sheet...etc...etc...etc.....I want one SOLID reason Simms should not be starting over Geno Smith against Tampa.

A FOOTBALL reason...not some political bull crap either.