Next Year's Schedule

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Jan 8, 2007.

1. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

i hope the ravens game is in october or november b/c im planning a bus trip

2. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

7 of the 16 teams made it to the playoffs but we're also playing teams like the Titans that ended the year on an upswing. We're gonna have it rough but the Jets went from a mediocre team that was skating by to an above average team that nearly won the afc east. i think this year is another progression and while we may have to settle for a wildcard spot in the playoffs cause the patriots blew the bank in free agency we can probably make it to the division championships at least in the playoffs. we've proven we can beat the patsies. i'm very confident. it'll be hard but we can do it.

3. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

i think this is going to be a "1 step back to take 2 steps forward" kind of a year. unless we have a downright stellar draft, and have 3-5 of those picks make an immidiate impact on the field for us, we will be, at best, 6-10/7-9....i dont see us beating NE this year. they have made some pretty significant moves and are def a better team right now, pre draft, then they were in jan in the AFC championship game.

miami will be miami, and those 2 games will be tough fought, and i see us dropping 1 to buff...as it always goes.

the rest of the schedule is packed pretty tight with good/very good teams. i think this will be a tough, hard fought season from week 1 to week 17...

4. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

If we finish 8-8 or above I'll be happy. I see us finishing 10-6 again though.
    The one thing that we as Jets fans can be really happy is that this year we actually finished games and played smart.
    After this draft I'm sure there will be a few pick ups that have people scratching their heads.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I think we will only be favored in 5 games. That doesn't mean much other then we will have to cover those 5 and pull off 3 upsets to get to .500. It won't be easy.

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Dont worry the same people that are trying to beat you up were the same people who defended Herm & wanted to retain him so that gives you a very good idea of there ability to assess both people & FB

7. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

The key will be CHAD. If he continues to struggle against top teams, we could surely be in for a letdown. Remember: while NE, BUFF got stronger in FA, we saved money! Now we must have a great draft or we are in deep doo doo!

8. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Yeah, it's going to Chad and Chad alone that determines whether the Jets will win games next season. Remember the first regular season game against the Patriots where the Jets staged a comeback but then the defense let Brady drain the clock to ice the game? Chad's fault. Remember the Colts game when the Jets were winning with a few minutes left and the defense let Peyton carve them up for the win? Chad's fault. Remember when Charlie Frye looked like John Elway in the Browns game? Chad's fault. Remember when the O-line broke down in the playoffs and the Cotchery screen turned into a Patriots TD? Also Chad's fault. The guy just can't do anything right. I say we just cut him here and now and be done with it. Then we won't be in deep doo doo anymore.

Also, anyone who thinks that, because the Patriots and Bills made moves in free agency, the Jets need to follow suit has the completely wrong mentality. Are the Jets looking at the Patriots' and Bills' signings? Yes, the same way they look at any team's signings to evaluate how the player market is moving and who is available. But the Jets aren't going to after a certain position or a certain player to complement a recent Patriots signing. It does not work that way. The Jets are just trying to find the best valued players for the need positions. That's it. They don't say things like "Oh, the Patriots signed Stallworth. We have to now sign a CB." That's idiotic.

9. gustoonarmy

If we do actually draft O line we should be set. Lets see how Chad does then.

10. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

i think thats taking this a bit too literal. NE got leagues better on defense by putting thomas in there as the tweener. and they also upgraded the WR position drastically over what they had. buff got better but losing mcgahee will come back to bite them. he didnt say anything like we need to make moves to counter their moves....just some moves would be nice. TJ was a trade, so thats not really in the FA stuff.

and that colts game? chad threw the pick that they won the game on. chad needs to pick up his play, stay healthy, and be better against better comp...so does out defense...

11. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

It makes no sense to exclude the Thomas Jones trade in talking about the Jets off-season. Why separate free agency and trades? It's all off-season. The Jones trade was a huge move so let's stop pretending that the Jets are sitting around with their hands in their pockets.

And, yeah, Chad wasn't perfect last year. Every player on the team has room to improve - even Rhodes, Mangold, and the other golden boys. Doesn't mean there's any good reason to single out Chad as a guy who needs to step it up. Say what you will about Chad but he definitely was not dragging the team down last season.

12. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

What in the hell are you talking about here? I think senility is finally robbing you blind. He only just posted in this thread - no one is attacking him. :rofl:

It doesn't matter what you are favored to win or not. What matters is whether you do win. What I would really like to hear about is how you feel about having to play Herm's Chiefs next year. You are aware they went to the playoffs with him, aren't you? :lol:

13. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

It is certainly going to be a harder season than the previous one, but the Jets should be better as a whole. Mangini is more experienced, Chad has a full season of health under his belt, and the new schemes should be understood by now. I don't think 10-6 or 11-5 is out of the question. Some of those playoff teams will not be playoff teams again.

Don't forget the Jets made it to the playoffs last year too so we are a force to be reckoned with as well.

14. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Weird, I would have thought after last season everyone would be more excited over what the Jets are going to do versus good teams. It is still the same old what is this team going to do to the Jets routine. I think the Jets have a long way to go but at least they are coached up and methodically prepared and that is half the battle in the NFL.

I am not going to make any predictions but the Jets did not lose anyone worth talking about in the off season. Added a real RB and did some other low risk patchwork like adding a young DE player that should be a starter. Really the bulk of the improvement should be in the draft. It is a little too early too guess how strong the Jets are in relation to last years teams.

15. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Why is what I said weird? I basically said that the Jets are being underrated just like you are saying...I think the Jets are being lead by a great coaching staff and front office and really have some great leaders on both sides of the ball to get the job done this season.

Thomas Jones on offense and Vilma on defense.

16. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

I agree with you. Who have we really lost that is going to hurt us? It's time to look forward. I like, no I LOVE the direction this team has taken. I haven't really felt this good about my team since the Parcells years.

I think I hear someone typing that I was a past Herm supporter (which I don't think I was one way or the other with him) but I'm sure it's on a spread sheet somewhere. ::wink:

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I can't wait to see how they'll do against elite teams next year, but we probably won't know exactly which teams are the actual elite of 2007 until the middle portion of the season since those teams seem to fluctuate with the wind these days, with exception of a few perennial playoff teams.

The thing that got my blood up was seeing how the team actually seemed so much more comfortable together on the field, and nobody can tell me they didn't almost crap their pants when they saw the laterals at the end of the Colts game.

This team is exciting because the CS uses them in a more dynamic fashion than I think Herm could ever conceive of. He had me fooled for a long time. Coaching and having the types of players that can cohere and work together better for the group goal make the difference we saw in 2006. Even Chad had a burst of vitality where he had previously lost a spark. I have been waiting for him to start head-butting linemen again, although Mangini might frown on that.

And to see them subtly and methodically address the key holes that we all saw last season has to give a some of people confidence in the direction of a team that had previously suffered a lack of direction. No, they aren't signing superstars, although the Jones heist was amazing to me. They are going the same route they've been going, and not faltering in their initial and concrete doctrine. This is military style of coaching, a method passed down from Parcells and shared with some contemporaries from his and their days coaching for military academies. Bold, brash discipline and heartless competition.

We're at war in the AFC East. The rest of the league will be casualties. You saw it last season, elite teams were struggling to beat a rebuilding team with an almost entire rookie coaching staff and a gutted roster and new schemes. That is a thing to behold.

#77 abyzmul, Mar 24, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  18. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Exactly Abyzmul. Just look at how the 2 teams that went to the Super Bowl struggled against us! What's not to look forward to? I'm not predicting anything, but like you said (perfectly I might add) it was exciting to see the team "gel" and be explosive. I can't wait until the season starts. :beer:

19. gustoonarmy

Just about sums up the way I feel too.
    I think there will be a twist when we come to the table on draft day and will all be chomping at the bit for the start of next season , I know I already am.

20. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Great post overall... we all have that nugget of hope renewed in us through what we saw last year. Not to say the road this year isn't going to be bumpy, but at least we can go into this one knowing we aren't rolling over for anyone. If things continue to develop as they have over the last year or so, year 3 & 4 should be great years for the franchise.