Newer Members ? Calling You Out, Volume II

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sundayjack, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Not all that bad a position to be in, is it? I'm just not all that keen on trading up for one player, when we seem to have so much more to accomplish in one draft, and a good stock of picks to do some good. More and more, I like the thought of picking up Brodie Croyle later on Day 1. Cutler I wouldn't mind, but the kid got pimped so hard a month or so ago, it's tough to say where his true value lies. If he falls down to our second pick in the first round, then I think that might be as easy a pick as we could make.

2. akibud

akibud Active Member

Thanks for the welcome... I know the pain that is being a jet fan... except for the lunacy and fanaticsm..

3. minexdy1013

minexdy1013 New Member

Thanks, jaywayne!

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

excellent post, welcome aboard. I'm starting to like the idea of Young more and more as we get closer to the draft. If it came down to a decision between Young and Leinart, I would still go with Leinart. But assuming Leinart goes to Tenn and the choice is Young or Mario I would have no problem taking Young.. I'm really curious what our FO thinks of Young, there has been alot of talk about Leinart and Cutler to the Jets but not much about Young. I'm starting to think that the silence regarding him might be that we are more interested in him than most think. Plus if any HC has the time to be patient waiting for him to develop it is Mangini..

5. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

What scares me about Young is his ability to learn a new offense and not just tuck and go If he doesn't understand the play.

You need to have a decent intelligence to be an NFL QB.

Does he have that?

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think his intelligence level has been blown out of proportion this offseason. He seems pretty intelligent on the field and to me thats all that matters. My biggest concern with him is that he has never taken a snap from center and it will take a while to adjust to that. I also worry about the gameplan with him at QB, if he goes down our whole gameplan would have to be adjusted for the back up. I'm on the fence regarding Young but I am scared to death of becoming the Portland Trailblazers of the NFL if we pass on him.

7. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

As much as I loved Namath and Bradshaw, they were both complete dolts (Yes Joe was great, got laid allot, but he was basically a drunk dolt and has proved it over and over) they both learned the system and kicked ass, so will Young. I question his arm and mechanics more than his brain.

What do I know I always thought the Tin man was smarter than the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz and the Scarecrow was awarded a doctorial?

8. akibud

akibud Active Member

In my opinion, and I am no expert... I don't think learning a new offense is like teaching a shop major, quantum physics. It is still football, and he is still the QB.. I like Vince because he is a winner. He wants the rock in his hand with the game on the line. He has displayed a must win at all cost attitude since taking over the team at Texas.. His leadership skills are what impresses me most. He reminds me of the guy playing high stakes poker with no money, but has all his oponents sweating while he has a ice cold demeanor..

9. Sundayjack

Hehe. . . no, the length is fine because the content was good. Nice post. A good read.

10. Sundayjack

Strange how, if there were no 2005 season, that would be one of the more bizarre statements I could imagine. As it stands, it's apt.

#150 Sundayjack, Apr 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2005
  11. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

I've been on the board for about 2 weeks, never blogged before. I think, like the rest of you I need football season sooner this year since it will wash away the memories of last season.
    I judge myself a practical optimist. Like someone that's been though a number of bad relationships, I hope for the best but I just dont want to get let down again.
    I like the Tangini regime so far. They are doing what they want to do, not what they think will make people, including the media, happy. The moves have been practical and conservative. Thats a good sign.

As far as the draft ... If trading up - Bush only (Future Superstar), If Down, No less than Bunkley (8th Pick)... Prefer we sit and take Williams or Hawk

The Jets will not do well this year ... too much to overcome , too many questions. That said the future seems bright, chemistry between the GM and Head Coach is a good thing. The patriot formula will be effective in the future with all these crazy contracts and constant turnover on rosters.

12. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

Welcome here folks. It's interesting reading some fresh opinions. Most of you have strong and reasonable thoughts. All the Better :)

Like most of you, I got tired of Herm as well. I was actually a supporter of his before last season, but the way he wanted to leave the team hanging, and his attitude throughout a lost season was a huge turnoff. I'm glad we didn't hire any retreads as a HC, and I was in favor of and support Mangini.

There is no one I want more than Matt Leinart in this draft.

As long as we know we're on the right track, it's all that matters. Progress is the key. There is no doubt that Mangini is going to make sensible decisions with the roster, so hopefully we build towards something.

Keem 'em coming folks. :up:

13. CmartinHOF

CmartinHOF New Member

i'm sort of new so........................

1) i like eric mangini, i think our offense can have success against New England since he knows all of there stradegy

2) i would like to trade our #4 overall to denver for their #15 and #22 picks

so then:

#15 - Deangelo Williams
    #22 - Winston Justice
    #29 - Nick Mangold

3) We will have sucess in this season if we draft right and get lucky

4) Mangini/tannenbaum's success has already begun, i see this year as a good year maybe

14. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

yeah, well you're not new enough where we can't make fun of your spelling :)

On a side note to the new people here. We hope you stay. This is the best Message board I've EVER been on. You'll see that we are a family here and we do like to bust on each other quite a bit. It's all in fun.

15. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

I love that we have a young head coach and first time GM. We need a fresh start. And hungry leadership.

Draft pick? hmmmm. That is hard decision. I would like a guy who will make an instant impact and will define the franchise.

2006 season. If we get consistent play from the QB and OL we will be right in the middle of the playoffs.

They will be around for at least 5 years.

16. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I'm with you. I think instead of trading down or anything,we need to get a solid(RB) that can make a difference right away.

17. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

(1) What was your first impression of the hiring of Eric Mangini as head coach, and the promotion of Mike Tannenbaum as General Manager?
    I wasn't anti-Herm, but by the end it seemed obvious that he and the Jets had to part ways. I know Mangini is very young, but he was my top choice by a wide margin. I'm not quite as sold on Tannenbaum, but I have faith in him since his reputation around the league has always been very high.

(2) Who are you hoping the Jets pick in the 2006 Draft?
    I'll admit I also run hot and cold on guys over the time leading up to the draft. As of now this would be my top 4 choices
    1. Reggie Bush (I know won't happen)
    2. Matt Leinart (unlikely, but who knows)
    3. Mario Williams
    4. D'Brickashaw Ferguson

I like all of them enough that I'd be more than happy with any of them. The gap between them is not great enough that I'd want to trade up for a Leinart. I'm also not against trading down either. If the Jets did trade down, the guy I'd really is Winston Justice.

(3) The 2006 season will be a success if. . . .
    The team shows that they are on the right track and on the way up. Coming off of last year and the salary cap issues they had, I do not want to put a win total that would determine whether or not the season was a success.

(4) How long do you give the Mangini/Tannenbaum administration to succeed?
    Honestly I'd give them 4 years. They are admietedly new to the job so I expect some potential growing pains. Also for various reasons this season is in some way a throw away year.

18. BigGorilla

BigGorilla New Member

(1) What was your first impression of the hiring of Eric Mangini as head coach, and the promotion of Mike Tannenbaum as General Manager?

I was so glad to see Herm go, they could have hired anyone. Herm appeared to just give up too many times and accept the loss.

Don't follow college ball that much so my opinions won't mean much.

We get a Wild Card spot, kinda optomistic though.

2-3 years.

19. Streetballa333

Streetballa333 New Member

1) What was your first impression of the hiring of Eric Mangini as head coach, and the promotion of Mike Tannenbaum as General Manager?

I did not really like the hiring at first, but I think that Mangini has the pedigree to become a good coach. As far as the general manager position, I think that a more football oriented gm is needed. I view Mike Tannenbaum as a numbers guy, but I have faith that he can get the job done.

I hope the jets pick Vince Young or Mario Williams, but if we pick Mario I feel that we have to maintain the 4-3 as our base defense.

If we have a successful draft and figure out who are QB is going to be for the future. By successful, I mean we most come away with at least 4 legitamate starters from this draft.

Due to the wealth of draft picks that we have at the top of the round I give them two years at most to succeed. As Jets fans, we can no longer accept mediocrity and a disorganized Front Office.

20. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I liked Herm,until this past season. When he made it clear that he was gonna let Curtis get his record and not play younger guys to see what we have,I realized he is just trying to win a veteran popularity contest and not looking to the future of this team. I am happy he is gone now and someone elses bull---- artist. I can't wait to see what Mangini does.