Newer Members ? Calling You Out, Volume II

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sundayjack, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Kipper88

Kipper88 New Member

1. It seemed real good and but I am not that up with FO stuff

2. D'Brick or Mario with 4, till just a minute ago Mangold at 29 but now one of the hybrid DE/OLB's. Then at 35 Max Jean-Giles or BPA if someone falls.

3. Our new players bed in and we get an improvement in play and results

4. 2-3 seasons to see an improvement, then 2 more for a SB

2. Amaru

Amaru Well-Known Member

I already did the version 1 of this, but I'm bored, so I'll do it again.

(1) What was your first impression of the hiring of Eric Mangini as head coach, and the promotion of Mike Tannenbaum as General Manager?
    I was fairly neutral with the hiring of Mangini, but I was really excited about Tannenbaum becoming GM because to me, that marked a shift in the attitude of the franchise.

(2) Who are you hoping the Jets pick in the 2006 Draft?
    Mario Williams, a good RT whoever it may be

(3) The 2006 season will be a success if. . . .
    All the major players stay healthy

(4) How long do you give the Mangini/Tannenbaum administration to succeed?
    Playoffs by the third year

3. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Better late than never!

(1) I didn't like the switch to Mangini because it felt unplanned and I really don't think it will have any immediate affect for the Jets whatsoever. There are only a few truly elite coaches in NFL History who could have ccome in and really change up a franchise, and although it appears that there are more of them now - Belichick, Parcells, Smith (Chi), Lewis - there was no proof that Mangini either was that type of coach or would become that type of coach.

In my mind, Donnie Henderson earned himself a shot because he came into our organization, reminded our veterans how to play defense and made the transition for younger players smoother. Not only that, but his resume was a lot deeper and, though not as rich in rings, was rich in that he worked as a DC for several years more than our new boy wonder. That's just my take, but, had it gone my way, there would probably be no impact either way.

However, i do appreciate that they pushed Noodle Arm (pennington) to his limits with the contract. He's smart enough to know that he has the respect of most fans and that that's easy to lose; further, now that he knows the FO doesn't have faith in him, and that's something extra he's got to play for

(2) B'brick, Lendale White, Croyle/Jacobs/McNeal

(3) Inspired football from Noodle Arm, Martin, and the O-line. Might need a kicker that doesn't miss field goals, too.

4. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

First off, welcome to TGG.com.

I have to disagree that the Mangini/Tannenbaum hire and promotion was unplanned. I think that they thought this through and feel they made the right move. I think that looking at the FA's we have signed this year that we are heading in the right direction. Specifically the signings they made this week with Kassell and Teague. I don't think you will see too many people here that will disagree with you about Henderson though. I think we all really liked him and his fiery attitude. Something our defense sorely lacked. I would give Nugent a chance. He really started to come around towards the end of the season. I think he will be fine and have a great career for us.

Anyway, welcome aboard. You'll see really quickly that this is the best Message board on the net.

5. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

6. SackMaster99

SackMaster99 New Member

Hi, I have neen enjoying the message board for a couple of years now, so thought it was time to get registered and get posting !!!

1) First impression of Mangini & Tannenbaum, excited, yeh these guys are young and have little experience. But hey we've all gotta start somewhere.
    First few months seem very positive. New faces bring experience and depth to a roster which needed a kick start. Dyson & Von Oelhoffen maybe Ramsey & Kassell will probably start, while Chatham, Dwight & Teague will give depth.
    Can't wait for season to start, to get behind Mangini & Tannenbaum. Here's hoping there around for a long while taking the Jets forward !!!

2) Sitting at 4 (presuming that's where we stay) there are some great players (potentially of course), I like D'Brick & Super Mario but would go for a QB, LIENART if he falls. Otherwise pick your poison Vince or Jay (Jay would be my pick). So time to stop looking at all those mocks drafts as there mashing my head, and see what happen April 29th.

3) Play hard as a team, be proud to wear the green & white & get lucky with injuries. A long way to go, but looking forward to a solid season.

4) You gotta give these guys a fair shot 3-4 years. But this is New York so it's anyones guess !!!

7. Langdon15

Langdon15 New Member

(1) What was your first impression of the hiring of Eric Mangini as head coach, and the promotion of Mike Tannenbaum as General Manager?

I had no problem with it because I thought the Jets needed a change in philosophy. For all the success the Herm regime had, I never thought he was a good enough game day coach to get the most from the team.

I hope that they trade down to the 10-15 range and acquire a few more picks, preferably a 1st or 2nd rounder in the 2007 draft along with a 3rd or so this year. I think they need a play making OLB and an OT with one of the top 3 picks. I think they also need to come away from the first day with a QB(Croyle or Jacobs) and a future C (Eslinger, Degory, Cook).

The coach gets the team to buy into his philosophy and they play hard for 60 minutes every game. If they get to 8-8 and show improvement as the season goes on, I'll be happy.

Well, there are alot of factors to account for here, such as injuries and such, but I think that within 3 years, the team should be a legit player in the AFC.

8. jkgrandchamp

jkgrandchamp Member

The great thing about football is you never know what will happen .

9. kingdavid88

kingdavid88 New Member

I belive that this was a great hire for the jets. Although mangini is lacking the experience he comes for a line of solid coaches. As for tenanenbaum, I think it was a great move up to team up mangini and him.

Dream- Reggie Bush
    Reality(id be fine with)- dbrick or super mario

chad pennington stays healthy and mangini can ajust to being a head coach in ny and not an assistant to one of the solid coaches in the nfl

Three years
    Year 1- rebuild and begin to get the parts in
    Year 2- draft smart and make the right freeagents in. don?t just spend the money
    Year 3- JUST WIN

10. NYJ80AP

NYJ80AP New Member

--Personally, I was just upset we got rid of Herm. I got really attatched to him and I think he did good things with the Jets- I mean give the guy a break- it IS the Jets were talking about here. I feel like he was the scapegoat for our dispicable season.

--This is tough- Im bad at the draft thing. But, I don't know, I'm kind of hoping we will trade up and get Matt. I think we need a new QB- a new face to lead the Jets away from that mess of a season.

--O-F-F-E-N-S-I-V-E L-I-N-E!!! God I cant stand to watch QB after QB go down- our O-line is just pathetic, and we will never be good unless we can get it into shape.

I'm one of those "This is our year"....every year...Jet fans..so I will be dissapointed if we don't have a winning season. I may sound crazy, but it seems that whenever were supposed to be great, we arent...so MAYBE when we're supposed to be bad....

--Oh I don't know, I guess when I see what they are doing, I will be able to better make that decision...either way, they need some time before NY fans jump down their throats

11. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

Hey welcome aboard. I know it's your first post and everything, but I must STRONGLY disagree with the above statement.

Herm was in no way a scapegoat for our season. Paul Hackett and Ted Cottrell (not that they were anything special by any means) were Herm's scapegoats PRIOR to this past season. Herm had no one else to place the blame on this year, and was exposed for the incompetent, clueless twit he is.

Give the guy a break!? How about give US a break and make adjustments during a frigging game! How about give us a break and try to MANAGE A DAMN GAMECLOCK effectively! Herm in now way, shape or form deserves "a break".

I supposed his inability to manage a football game could be blamed on the fact that the Jets haven't had much success in the past. Simply because, well "it IS the Jets were talking about here". That's a poor argument.

He is a great motivator. Not a head coach by any means. KC will find that out soon enough.

#211 EvilClownFace, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  12. Hazardous Waters

Welcome to our site. I like the fact that you have been just observing.

Always a treat to have smart posters around.

13. NYJ80AP

NYJ80AP New Member

Paul Hackett is a disgrace, and I thanked the Lord when we got rid of him- if he was a scapegoat it was deserving.

And the reason I say to give Herm a break is because he had a good record with the Jets, and when we have one bad season (starting 3rd...4th string QBS due to injury...due to that thing the Jets liked to call an O-line) everyone has to point a finger. I'm not saying he was the best coach- I didn't say that. I'm just saying take it easy because it isn't like his overall record is a losing one. And it took Hackett how many seasons of messups to finally get canned??

Either way, I just hope this fresh start will do something positive for our team..

14. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The Jets went to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years Paul Hackett was the OC and 3 out of 5 with Herm. Maybe Herm should have been let go and Hackett promoted?

15. JW69

JW69 New Member

When you consider the amount of talent we had all of those years it is a shame that people think that just because we got to the playoffs that is good enough. Horseshit! I am mad as hell that we squandered the amount of talent that we had and wern't something better than "just in the playoffs." Don't get me wrong I really liked Herm (he is a true motivator and gets guys to play for him) but he should have stayed a DC. I can count, as a direct result, at least one game per year where his head coaching blew the game for us. He doesn't have the HC skills required even when he has someone on staff specifically hired to help him with those skills.

16. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

Great post! Welcome aboard!

However, Herm was never a DC. He was a defensive backs coach. That's where he is best suited.

Honestly, I wouldn't even trust him to be a DC. The guy has absolutely zero clue how to gameplan.

17. realdealramsey

realdealramsey New Member

Does it bother anybody else that the media acts as if the FO fired or shipped Herm off? Herm wanted that job, was going to be very unhappy if he did not get it. Who wants a disgruntled coach anyway?

18. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

:lol: I can tell you and I are going to get along really well based on your name. I'm a huge Ramsey supporter and have little to no doubt in my mind that he will in fact be "The real deal".

Anyway just wanted to say welcome and your post was on the money. No one wants a disgruntled coach.

I'll take it a little further.....

IMO Herm also knew the jig was up. He had no one else to blame his shortcomings on and knew a large majority of us had his little schtick figured out.

Had he shown any desire to stay (and recieved an extension), we may have admired his will to want to fix what could be considered a sinking ship. However, had he not strayed from his path of cluelessness, there definately would have eventually been a mutiny.

#218 EvilClownFace, Apr 15, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I'm down with that. Don't forget, this is the guy who's defense had only ten guys on the field for a couple plays during the PLAYOFFS!!!! for christ sakes. Talent took the Jets to the playoffs in spite of Herm. The best tactical maneuver he made in 5 years was the one that landed him the KC job. It will be the last HC job he gets in the pros.

20. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Holy smokes, I just felt a shiver down my spine.