New York Mets Official 2013 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by southparkfanciz, Mar 31, 2013.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Keith is in fine form with his usual nonsense about leadoff walks. First of all, his supposed statistic that 60% of people who get on base with a leadoff walk end up scoring is laughably untrue; it's actually less than 40%. Second, the difference in the proportion of times that a player scores after a leadoff walk (38.0%) versus after a leadoff single (37.7%) is very small, and is of course far lower than after a leadoff extra base hit. http://www.fangraphs.com/community/the-leadoff-walk/ discusses this. This reflects the century-old bias that getting a walk is the pitcher's fault, but getting a hit is to the batter's credit, which is of course utter nonsense (working out a walk is definitely a skill for the batter, and many many singles are just luck reflecting that the ball happened to go where the fielders weren't). It's just amazing to me that there are still people who so misunderstand such fundamental points.

2. statjeff22

Absurd decision by Werth (or Davey Johnson?) to swing on 3-0 with two on and no one out with Harper on deck as Werth hits into a double play.

3. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Saw that on mlb re werth..jesus it was a shocking swing...

Great to see we optioned Laffey to 7-11..

Good outing from Gee ,control was there...now over to Parnell!!

4. maynardsmyhero-uk

i know I am on Ike's case but his swing is brutal at moment ...cannot believe they didnt fix the clear flaws in his swing. Guy has power but his stance and pre swing movements leave him in knots on off speed pitches

5. statjeff22

Nice job by Parnell and you can put it in the books.

6. maynardsmyhero-uk

Parnell deserves a longer deal from the Mets he is our closer of the future in my view, his movement on the fastball was excellent and has been since he had a blip last year.

Get Fat Franky traded and hand it over to BP

I also like that guy Rice...31 yr old Rookie in a bases loaded situation..good set of minerals there!!

7. statjeff22

You may be giving Rice too much credit there - he was pitching horribly to the first three batters, and was bailed out by a moronic decision by Werth. The Harper at bat was excellent for him, but who knows if that happens with the bases loaded and no one out?

8. maynardsmyhero-uk

Looks like my man Lagares is on his way to the bigs according to Rubin , give him the time given to Kirk and Baxter...kid is a good athlete which is an upgrade on our current OF

9. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Good call on this. Collins says he will start tomorrow.

10. statjeff22

Niese not looking too good so far.

11. statjeff22

Niese hit on the ankle/leg on a comebacker and is out of the game.

12. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

People are screaming for Wheeler, but he isn't pitching well down there.

13. statjeff22

And they've lost their ace in the hole - Laffey was picked up on waivers by Toronto. :rolleyes:

14. maynardsmyhero-uk

We are overmatched in many areas that for me rather than waste time with the likes of Turner / Baxter / Cowgill , we may as well see what we have in AAA / High AA.

I would like to see Alonzo Harris bumped up to AAA and see if his speed translates to AAA , he has 8 stolen bases already and is a solid lead off man in Bingo....We have young bats in AA and Lower AA that can and should be moved up the system like Nimmo/Plawecki , Plawecki was drafted as Catcher but with D'Arnaud we should and prob will look to convert to 1b as our farm system is bereft of a good 1b candidate.

Pitching wise..its easy to move arms from High AA to MLB pen..one who should be moved to the pen before 2013 as a possible set up man is Walters..has improved greatly this year after converting to a starter in 2012 and at his age (25) its now or never. Montero should see AAA as he projects as a solid No3 rotational guy and in my view...only seen 4 videos of his and wheelers he possibly has the more solid game at this stage but less hype.

15. Mr Krinkle

Mr Krinkle Banned

why is it that nobody is giving the mets a chance to contend for a title this year?

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Probably cause they have 2 major league capable starters, an average at best lineup and a pathetic bullpen again.

Not exactly making me feel all warm and fuzzy about there chances.

17. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Throw in Atlanta, Washington, Cinci, St Louis, San Francisco and LA are all much much better. St Louis is the most vulnerable because their bullpen sucks outside of Mujica and I don't think Metheny is that great of a manager. I think the Mets will be lucky to be within 5 games of the wildcard come August. They've overachieved if they are.

18. MParty7441

The play-by-play guy on ESPN mistook Marlon Byrd for Ike Davis. How is that possible?

19. MParty7441

He then proceeds to confuse Ike Davis with Lucas Duda.

20. Mr Krinkle

Mr Krinkle Banned

I thought Alderson was supposed to be this brilliant gm. Why hasn't he been a able to turn the team around after 3 years