New York Jets WR Denzel Mims i̶s̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ has run out of time

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Dec 12, 2021.

1. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Both Carters, AVT, Moore, Echols, Pinnock looked good at safety yesterday. Hasn’t been a better draft after Year 1 since the Brick, Mangold draft or maybe even the Ellis, Abraham draft.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

in 1 draft he got us a
    FQB (maybe we'll see but it's still a great pick for now)
    a pro bowl caliber LG who's done great as a rookie
    a WR1
    a RB1
    a great CB3 which in todays NFL is a starting position
    a guy who's looking like a good CB2 so far

that's a pretty impressive draft. IDK how anyone can complain about it. ti's probably the best draft of any team after year 1

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Both Carters, Echols, and Pinnock are backups on a playoff team. Okay, MC could be a solid starting 3rd down back.

4. GasedAndConfused

not really. depends on FA but we have bigger needs then WR. we'll have moore and davis for sure in 2022. berrios is likely to return. that could be our top 3. WR should be a later round pick. we need playmakers on defense. edge and safety and LBer. on offense we need TE, RG, RB2. WR is like our 7th most important need.

Red Menace likes this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Dude, we had 2 firsts, the second pick in round 2, and two 3rds. You better get, at a minimum, a couple of decent players from that. Ideally you get a star or two, as in actual star - not jets roster star.

Now imagine how strong our roster would be if we traded down. Imagine what our draft would be the next two seasons. We sold the cow for some magic beans.

6. GasedAndConfused

I get the idea of trading down, but it depends on the draft class. we got a top 10 prospect and the last blue chip prospect by trading up to get AVT and at a position of need. the vikins with the 3 picks they got from us took OT darrisaw who is playing really well, then OG davis who hasn't played a snap and QB mond who hasn't played a snap. trading down only works if they player who got traded up for is a bust and the players you pick all turn out good. we also still drafted 10 players. 3 more then a default draft. without the trade down we would have drafted 12. there are only so many rookies you can handle per year and keep.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I can tell you the winning lottery numbers...the day after! :D

Red Menace likes this.
  8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I don’t want Mims to fail, I just don’t think he’s a good fit for this scheme, throw into the mix the fact he had to refine his game a bit, it’s too much for him to overcome with this CS.

9. bicketybam

Miami GM did a great job picking Tua over Herbert. That's how you build a team!

ColoradoContrails and apjbfc like this.
  10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It's too bad Kayshon Boutte isn't eligible for the 2022 draft.

11. Red Menace

I would take best player available, I’m not talking about a safety either, there will be some good football players in top ten that can come in and make a difference day one.

Im not passing up the chance to strengthen the trenches or LB position if I’m Douglas.

Jets need playmakers plain and simple!

12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Honest answer is probably because it would be terrible optics for Douglas to cut his 2nd round pick less than 2 years into his career, even if it's warranted.

13. REVISion

The truth is somewhere in the middle here. It was a very good draft, yes, but it also involved some definite blunders.

Trading up for AVT was a mistake. Yes, he's been good, but we badly need depth at OL and would've benefited a lot more from taking two additional OL's with the picks we gave away for AVT. The fact that we even have to discuss taking an OL with one of our high picks this year is insane given how much capital we've already dumped into the unit the last couple years. That's what happens when you botch the Becton pick and compound the mistake with the suboptimal AVT pick.

Wilson was the correct pick but it's still a huge question mark as to whether or not he's the guy. The early returns indicate he probably isn't.

Moore is awesome and was good value. Carter is pretty good. The later-round CB's look to have been great value.

14. bicketybam

I think they are praying for a miracle. I just don't see it. Maybe he becomes that goal line fade receiver, but other than that it's pretty clear his route running is dog shit.

REVISion likes this.
  15. REVISion

The idea that building through the trenches is the way to go is pretty antiquated. It may have been true 30 years ago when everyone ran the ball a lot more but the modern game is different for multiple reasons.

For one, the penalties have evolved to make passing much easier. You can't touch WR's or the QB.

The best teams in the modern game are usually the ones who pass the ball most effectively. If you look at which teams have made the playoffs over the last decade this is objectively true.

With that in mind the most important positions after QB are WR's, CB's and S's. This has been quantified through the wins above replacement stat adopted from baseball.

Rushing the passer and defending against those rushers is important but not as important as the guys who catch the passes and the guys defending those receivers. I think Hamilton should be the pick with our top 5 pick. It's an important position and a position we're currently very weak at.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That's a pretty shitty group for top 3 receivers. Moore is a #2 receiver, Davis #3, and Berrios is #5/#6 receiver on a good team. We don't have a big #1 WR target on the team, and this is hurting us a lot. We could bring Crowder at #4, but getting a #1 WR is HUGE priority this year plus some depth. I don't want to see guys like Montgomery, Mims, and Smith playing major role next year. That means either we spend first rounder on a WR like Jameson Williams, getting someone like Robinson as a FA, or trading a pick for a proven stud if one becomes available. We cannot have another season when Zach has no one to throw the ball to.

People will get injured or get Covid next year. When you are weak to begin with, when these injuries happen, we will again be in the same state we are now. We need to bolster receiving corps, and then we have competition up top and also depth when injuries do happen.

17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

You're talking about the guy that's on pace to break 1K all-purpose yards as a rookie, while missing 3 games, right?

Just want to make sure we're talking about the same guy here.

ColoradoContrails, PJ4Ever and Borat like this.
  18. Red Menace

The teams that have won SB are the teams with franchise QBs that have a good oline protecting the FQB. I believe Foles is the only exception to that rule but even so, Eagles had a good oline that allowed them to give Carson Wentz plenty of time to get them to the playoffs.

I’m not advocating for a 50 rush attempt team every Sunday, I’m talking about a strong oline that can protect the QB, open holes on a consistent basis and push the dline off the ball on clutch 3rd and 2 or on a goal line play.

We are used to seeing teams dominate the jets dline, wouldn’t it be nice if Jets oline could do that to opposing defenses?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The thing is, because the O line is suboptimal, because WRs didn't turn out to be good (at least Mims and Davis, and Moore only had a few good games after he developed, then he got injured) I just don't think the early returns indicate Zach isn't good. As I mentioned multiple times before, Zach or any other QB for that matter, can't elevate pathetic scrubs like Montgomery, Smith, and now Mims. All while being pressured all the time. Little dude Berrios should really be a special teams player, who occasionally gets a crack as #5 WR. He was #1 WR last week. The early returns are that Zach needs more talent around him to show if he is the guy or not.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

the problem is who do you take?

1st off you have to remember we don't need OTs. we drafted becton in the 1st in 2020 and fant has played like a top 10 OT in the NFL. we also got lucky to grab moses for cheap who's been solid. edoga played well until he got hurt and has proven to be a solid backup. thats 4 OTs that all played well. mcgovern is pegged in at OC and has been a top 10 OC in the NFL for the past 5 years. he also rarely misses time although will miss the final 2 games this year. that just left the OG spots which were lewis and GVR at the time with 2020 4th rounder clarke in the mix. it was a disastrous bunch.

AVT was rated as a top 10-15 player by most. douglas had him as the last blue chip player on the board at 14 so traded up for him. then next OG in the draft? pick 48. in other words if we didn't take AVT there was nothing else who could have started at OG for us out of the gate. the next OG taken at 48 was aaron banks who doesn't fit our system. funny enough he was taken by the niners who run the same system and he hasn't played because he's not doing well in it "Below, Shanahan also explains why Aaron Banks hasn’t been playing. It sounds as though Banks isn’t moving well enough or can’t get to his spots as a blocker." he has played 5 snaps. So ti's easy to say yeah we could have taken more lineman but the reality was we needed an OG specifically and there was nothing after AVT. if we didn't land him our starters would have been GVR and feeny since lewis retired on us. we also still don't know what we have in clarke. the next OG taken was wyatt davis with the 3rd we traded away to move up. he hasn't played a snap. the last one taken on days 1 and 2 is ben cleveland for the ravens and he has not been good as a rookie and doesn't fit our system. SO realistically speaking AVT was the only OG in the entire draft worthy of a 1st or 2nd day pick that is panning out this season. 2 haven't played at all and 1 has played and been bad and doesn't fit our system. The issue is as fans we go yeah they could have just done this and found someone but it's not always that easy. if we didn't take AVT the line would have been a disaster. we also traded fro LDT and our line even with injuries has been middle of the pack which is a huge improvement from bottom 3 if not the worst.
    We are only discussing taking a lineman early because our line was god tier trash 2 years ago. it's taking 2 years to make it average and 2 1st rounders, a high paid FA, and a middle tier FA in that time. we are just 1 position short which is RG and We can fill that need easily with one of our 2nd rounders. guys like zion johnson, lecitus smith, and ed ingram should be there in the 2nd for us. we could probably even trade down and still get smith who I really like for us. that completes the o-line fix for now. we can take a developmental OT in the later rounds too like eze to eventually replace fant and be depth since edoga is likely gone after 2022 and mcdermott isn't great at OT and moses is likely gone in 2022.

as far as wilson goes, we won't know for sure until the end of the 2023 season most likely but early returns are saying yes not no. IDK where you get no from but since returning from the injury he's fixed almost every issue he had earlier in the year. stuff josh allen didn't fix until year 2 and darnold never fixed. it's pretty impressive

mattyd99, MoWilkBeast and Borat like this.