New York Jets WR Denzel Mims i̶s̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ has run out of time

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Dec 12, 2021.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Regarding AVT I will copy and paste my rationale for this from another thread:

AVT's performance is irrelevant to the conversation of whether it was a good move or not.

The numbers say that in general, when you do the trade for AVT that we did, you have a lower expected value than you do by keeping the picks. This is doubly true for a roster with as many holes as we have. AVT becoming a stud just means that we got lucky with a better than average outcome on a trade that was negative expected value.

If a GM's process involves repeatedly doing slightly suboptimal things it's eventually going to catch up with him over a larger sample size.

An analogy would be the 4th and 2 decision vs. the bucs. It was the right move to go for it. It didn't work out for us but that doesn't change the fact that it was the right move because it gave us a higher % chance to win the game.

We might get lucky and have the AVT trade work out for us but that doesn't mean it was the smartest move. We got unlucky and the 4th and 2 didn't work out for us but it was still the right move because it usually would've.

Before anyone labels me an AVT hater, I've been really pleased with his play. That doesn't change the fact that it was the wrong decision by JD to trade up for him though.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The Packers aren't among the best offenses?

3. NCJetsfan

I love Moore, but totally disagree that he's well on his way to being a number 1 WR.

4. NCJetsfan

You lost me at "AVT's performance is irrelevant." That's just laughable. The whole reason that JD traded up for him was that he would be reliable and play at a high level protecting Zach's blind side, and as a bonus has positional flexibility, which makes him worth two players. If we had not traded up and wound up with some schmuck starting at LG and he had gotten Zach seriously injured, you and others here would be killing JD for that.

Also, you didn't name specific players that you would have drafted. Throwing out generalities is meaningless and a cop out.

Jets79 likes this.
  5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

They'd have been the next best offense on that list at the time of the post.

6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m on this boat too…I love all this theoretical talk that we could’ve stayed put and drafted two good guards in the third round. It’s not always true. And regardless, having a one very good to great player, who is an instant plug and play started at a need position, is better than a couple of third round maybe guys. When you have as bad a lack of talent as we do, you can go the quality or quantity route. I’m this case, JD went the quality route and it worked. I’ve no problem with it. Better than ending up with a couple of GVR and Lewis type guys that you’re going to ha e to upgrade anyway.

Borat and NCJetsfan like this.