New York Jets WR Denzel Mims i̶s̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ has run out of time

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Dec 12, 2021.

1. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Yo---That 80's Jets corduroy hat Joe Walton was wearing was my favorite as a kid, Wish I held on to it. Loved that team with Toon, Walker, Shuler, Clifton, McNeil, Vick, McMillan

Had this poster too
    [​IMG]

As for Mims- Really disappointed this year. For some reason dude has lost all confidence in his abilities. Hope he can take this offseason and rededicate himself to the game and his craft.
    He really flashed last year so the ability is there.

NY Jets68, cval and Jets79 like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I don't ignore anything but when you tell me someone isn't X soley based on a rare injury and a dropped pass then nobody in the NFL is X. i'm not saying you can't have an opinion, i'm saying the "evidence" you use to support it is a joke and ruins any sort of argument you may present.

As far as sticking with the WRs we have you realize a backup QB threw for 400 yards for us, a 3rd string threw for 300 yards. that same 3rd string couldn't do even close to as good with baltimore this season. Aaron rodgers is out there balling with adams then a bunch of scrub tier WRs behind him. WR is the least of our worries. moore has WR1 talent that you ignore because he is short, davis is an above average WR2. we do need a WR3 whether it be cole or crowder, or a draft or berrios we'll take care of that but that can be done cheap/later in the draft. With moore and davis plus carter and a new TE we have plenty of weapons to run our offense. we need to work on the defense so the offense doesn't need to score 50 points a game to win.

As it stands now, even with all the injuries we've suffered and a new OC and a rookie QB our offense is 21st in the NFL. up from dead last and above a few teams with winning records like the dolphinis and steelers. Our defense however is dead last in the NFL allowing 30 points a game. that's so bad that only 1 offense in the entire league scores enough to overcome that defense (cowboys) even the chiefs with mahomes, kelce, hill etc can't score enough to overcome our defense. we just won a game using our WR 4,5, and 6 as starters and with a backup o-line because of zach, carter, and the defense. our leading WR had 37 yards and we won and you are complaining about our 6th WR? this is the stuff that literally makes no sense

3. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Code for ‘it wasn’t a 40-point margin’

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Saleh's response to every question about Mims' playing time has been some variety of this non-answer. Not good.

Sack exchange likes this.
  5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Mims will still be on the 90 man roster going into TC next year but he's going to have to truly earn a roster spot next year. I hope he can because that dude is physically gifted.

6. GasedAndConfused

i think it's clear he's trying to not say he sucks while knowing that he sucks and people should just take the hint and move on already.
    jeff smith played the most snaps of any WR for us with 59 out of 61. even montgomery got 3 snaps. oh and we only had 1 TE avilable for most of the game and it was an UDFA rookie. if mims still can't break the lineup at that point. it's on him.

REVISion likes this.
  7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

This is the first time where Saleh didn’t give an answer or excuse and also the lack of playing time also was led to believe Mims lost this staff’s confidence. And this was the point I was trying to make before about Mims if he was lazy and had attitude issues. If this was so, the staff wouldn’t play him. And this week was one of the first weeks that it was clear as day. Basically down to 5 WR’s, the Jets decided to stick with 3 WR’s all game, aside a few snaps where DJ got in there. Mims didn’t get anything.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Jeff Smith didn't do a lot but he had a really aggressive key block on that Carter run and made a decent reception another time I can remember, maybe more. It was hard for me to see Mims making those effort plays after seeing what he contributed the last couple of times.

Jeff Smith is a 2019 UDFA scrap heap signing, not a heralded second round pick. Maybe Mims needs a change of scenery to... uh... clear his head.

9. GasedAndConfused

it's not fair to call him lazy. If he was lazy he would have been cut. it's more of he's struggling to learn the play book and they don't trust him to run the right routes and mistakes like that kill drives and cause turnovers.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

he has talent but he was an UDFA becuase he was a college QB and wasn't good enough to QB in the NFL so we signed him as an UDFA to convert him to WR which takes a few years. but being a former college QB he probably understands playbooks a lot better and probably learned ours a lot faster then mims

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

oh I agree, I wasn’t calling Mims lazy, another poster did. I felt like he was still getting PT up until last game for a reason, and that the staff felt he could contribute. With all things, Jeff probably had a great practice and the staff wanted to see him out there.

12. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I honestly think at this point he is a goner before TC. Hopefully it's through a trade, most likely an under-performing player for under-performing player type deal.

I can't believe this is where they are at with Mims. It's tough, but if he's just going to rot on the bench, best to move on.

REVISion likes this.
  13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I wasn't aware he had been a QB in college. That's probably another reason why LaFleur wants to move on from Mims for him. Opens up trick play possibilities.

14. GasedAndConfused

barely though, he converted in college to WR but in high school and through his youth was a QB so he should have a decent arm. I wonder why we never used him for trick plays though. it was always crowder

15. GasedAndConfused

at the end of the day he has to earn his spot so we'll see if he pulls it off or if he fail. I think he gets 1 more year here but wouldn't be surprised if JD trades him either.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I may have that somewhere

RochesterJet likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hope that JD can trade down, but not for future draft picks. We need the talent NOW. I want him to trade down for either an additional 2nd, a 2nd and 3rd, or 2nd and 4th round picks. We have a lot of needs now, and this draft lines up very well with our needs.

Borat and Lon Chaney like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Normally, I wouldn't consider taking a S in the top 5. I wanted the Jets to draft Adams because I thought with his talent and leadership he could help change the culture in a big way. Initially, I was against the Jets drafting Hamilton that early, but have changed my mind. He's not Adams. He's better and imo IS a playmaker and would make our secondary and D a LOT better. I won't be upset if the Jets don't draft him, but I'll be excited about his potential if they do.

By trading down the Jets could strengthen 2-3 positions and not just one, and any one of the players they get with the picks they received in the trade down could be better than the player they would have taken had they stayed put.

19. NCJetsfan

Your comments about JD, Becton, AVT, the OL, and Wilson are an absurdly bad take imo. If we didn't have AVT, the OL may never had come together the way it did, or Zach could have suffered a major injury. From what I've read/heard, most of the OL taken this year after the 2nd round were not very good. When one has to rebuild an OL from scratch, it takes a lot of resources, and it's not an exact science. You can't just throw any 5 guys together. GVR, Fant, Feeney, and to a lesser extent, McGovern were stopgap FA signings. They were never intended to be part of the long-term OL, with the possible exception of McGovern.

In case you've forgotten, JD tried to sign Conklin and Thuney, but was rebuffed. They didn't want to play for the Jets. There may have been other good FA OL that we don't know about who turned down offers or who said up front that they had zero interest in playing for the Jets. We had no talent when he took over and a ton of holes. He has added additional high draft picks and already improved the talent level on this team markedly.

Who are these OGs that JD should have taken in the 3rd round?

Those that were drafted in the 3rd round are Jaley Mayfield, Brady Christensen, Wyatt Davis, Spencer Brown, and Ben Cleveland. Mayfield, Christensen, and Brown are all OTs. That leaves Davis and Cleveland. Cleveland is not a scheme fit. Davis is a backup in Minnesota. So who would our starting LG have been, Davis? Feeney?

Jets79 likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Is the bold true? Or did they just take the better offer with more money?

Ralebird likes this.