New York Jets went to see Colin Kaepernick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Nov 17, 2019.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Odd thing to say about someone who donates millions of dollars to social justice charities. More than you can say for a whole bunch of dickwads who stand for the anthem and do absolutely nothing to give back.

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Your right it is simple. Any team that signs him risks losing a sizable chunk of their fan base.

Trust me, I was on the SF bay Area when the kneeling started and by week 3 of it attendance dropped 30%. This was made worse when suddenly everyone around the country was rooting against the 49ers.

No owner wants that.

Not signing Kap has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with public relations.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You simplified it a lot better than I did. The issue is that people don't want to separate football from the PR side of it.

"Well he's talented enough to at least be a backup and better than probably ten starters." The NFL does not care whatsoever if you're going to affect TV ratings and attendance. Neither do franchises especially when you're not talking about a guy who will lead your team to the playoffs even in down years.

GasedAndConfused and GordonGecko like this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'd need to check with the league office.

5. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Exactamundo. There's no blackballing involved here, every team who considers him on the roster has to consider alienating a huge chunk of their fan base and having to deal with all the fall out in so many ways. It's just not worth the headache, this isn't Joe Montana or Jerry Rice we're talking about here

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I never saw evidence that they did that.

But I did see that Kaepernick refused or fucked up every opportunity to play professional football.

I don't know how much talent Kap has. I watched him play...he was ok.
    But I don't think his talent is the issue.

He's made it extremely problematic for teams to bring him on board.

I'd like to see him on a team...because he's ill equipped to be a voice for social justice.

GordonGecko likes this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

He has been charitable.

[​IMG]

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's a balance for teams. you have to have more talent then headache. teams will deal with headaches if the talent is worth it. a QB with backup QB skills who hasn't played in 3 years isn't worth any headache. If kap was drew brees or tom brady a team would take a chance on him but he isn't. it's that simple. that's why ray rice never got a 2nd chance. he was old and declining, wasn't worth it. meanwhile guys like vick and AP and hunt all got 2nd chances. AB will get a 2nd chance as well if he wants

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Which is exactly why I roll my eyes when someone pretends he's a flat out bad person. No he's not, he just did something you didn't like.

(not YOU specifically @Acad23)

Noam likes this.
  10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He also has a huge fan base. Nike had arguably one of their most successful ad campaigns with him. SF is one of the most liberal areas of the country. SF

The Green Bay Packers are the only public company. According to the report, the amount of money the NFL distributed to teams grew from $7.8bn in 2016 to $8.1bn in 2017, meaning the league added to its estimated $14bn in overall revenue. We also know the Panthers were sold for a reported 2.275 billion. A team in a small market city.

6 of the 7 most watched shows on TV were NFL games. TV viewership for the NFL dropped about 10% in the year of the protests. TV viewership for all TV shows dropped 10% that year. The NFL inked a huge deal to stream during the period. According to Forbes 29 of the 32 NFL teams are in the top 50 of all sports valued teams in the world. The Cowboys were valued over 4 Billion almost double their value in 2013.

SF was a horrendous team in 2016, Kap's last year there. They went 2 and 14 and Gabbert started the first 5 games going 1 and 4. That followed the Jim Tomsula coaching era of 1 year. There is simply no evidence the protest would have had any long term impact on fans. It's pretty clear that Nike actually profited from Kap and the NFL may have even gotten more minority fans if they handled the situation better.

Canada put on extra people in customs and immigration to help all the Americans fleeing the US when Trump was elected. The wave never came.

Noam likes this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

"Feel bad for the multi-millionaire that is Colin Kaepernick." There you go again, making shit up. "That's a fact." You keep saying you're finished here and then come back to embarrass yourself some more but I didn't really expect you to still not understand the difference between a fact and an opinion.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'll make a note to revive this topic when he's not in the league in three years and still hasn't been in since 2016.

Making it up? It's obvious you feel some sort of self-righteousness standing up for him. Legal or illegal. Blackballed or not. He's out of the league. And he won't return. You sad? Mad at the NFL perhaps?

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Feel bad? No. Sad? No. Mad? No.

I just prefer honesty over dishonesty and facts over opinion. Your mileage obviously varies.

14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Well now that's persuasive.

Ralebird likes this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

azhar80 likes this.
  17. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

It's that BS Nationalism narrative. He hates his country, bcuz he hates the Military, and Police. Let him kneel, media doesnt have to give him the coverage, nobody would even know what he was protesting lopm

There are lots of racist undertones whenever Kap is mentioned. Bunch of sensitive ppl, calling other ppl sensitive, bcuz a player kneeled during the anthem. I cant believe we watch a sport where guys slam each other, sometime break bones, some even have gotten paralyzed playing yet... We are crying abt a guy Kneeling before the game... Cmon Man!

They shouldve let this die already.

BroadwayAaron and Noam like this.
  18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

A chick playing NFL football isn't controversial?

umm...OK.

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The controversial part isn't the not comparable part. The playing football part is the not comparable part.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Well that explains it...:confused: