New York Jets Q & A (Trivia) For Distraction and Shiggles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetophile, Sep 19, 2019.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

John Riggins ran for 1005 in 1975 - he was the first.

The last ? Not sure but I’d guess Chris Ivory. If not him than it’s Jones.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  2. mrjet80

Too early to say for Gase. It would be between Kotite and Holtz. Kotite had a good team - possible playoff contenders in 1996 with the right coaching. He won one game.

Holtz was not fit to be a pro coach but at least he figured it out after 13 games. Plus he had a bad team to begin with.

So based on that I’d have to go with Kotite. Guys like Walton and Coslet were good OCs who were slightly over their head as HCs mainly because of their people skills more than coaching itself.......

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Interesting fact on Biggs. He also kicked off for the Jets and he became a free agent and signed with the Redskins well before the John Riggins fiasco.

I found this little gem. It gives you some insight into how smart our front office was back in the early days.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/articl...round-draft-picks-in-1970s-coach-george-allen

"Allen was always willing to pursue players who might not be available in the traditional sense. Allen traded some lower picks to acquire pass rusher Jimmie Jones from the Jets in 1971. Jones brought a little pass rush ability and a lot of information with him: Defensive end Verlon Biggs, a hero of the 1968 AFL Championship game and starter in Super Bowl III, was unhappy in New York and in the process of playing out the option period of his contract.

There was no free agency as such in 1971. Players finished all the options on their contract, then waited for their team to either release them or offer a new contract. Biggs was disenchanted with the Jets for a variety of reasons, including his feeling that his contributions to their championship run were overshadowed by Joe Namath and company. So he did not sign his contract after the 1970 season. Jones knew this, but the media and fans did not. In fact, as Marv Levy explained in his book (Levy was an Allen assistant then), the Jets led the rest of the football world to believe that Biggs was under contract. The team even announced that Biggs was under Jets contract, according to AP reports from that summer.

Thanks to Jones, Allen knew better, and he aggressively pursued Biggs. Since teams held all rights in perpetuity to players back then, and the Rozelle Rule gave the league the right to impose compensation if a team signed a rival's free agent (more on that later), Allen decided to trade for the rights to a player the Jets had no contract with but were pretending they did. So the Jets got a 1972 first-round pick and 1973 second-rounder in exchange for the services of a player whose contract status they had blithely misrepresented. Fun times.

Biggs, a 275-pound behemoth for the era, joined Talbert and fellow trade acquisition Ron McDole on a completely rebuilt defensive line that vaulted the Redskins to the Super Bowl in 1972. Only McDole was over 30; the others (including Manny Sistrunk, the fourth starter) were all young veterans. The Over the Hill Gang was not quite as over-the-hill as advertised in the trenches."

4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Weeb's son in law

5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

You are correct, Sir.

Aye, God, shoot me now. JETS fact: The Jets haven't had a Pro Bowl linebacker (entering 2005) since Mo Lewis earned there consecutive nods from 1998 to 2000.

[​IMG]

Well, the hit on Bledsoe was the 2001 season, but still. Poor Mo Lewis. He's such a personable, likable guy and was much beloved as a person, player, and Captain by his teammates. I remember this one interview they did with him on TV years ago where he told a story that actually hurt my feelings FOR him. He was with his wife and family in a bar restaurant type place and this guy went up to him and said, "Hey, are you Mo Lewis?" So Lewis being the nice guy that he is, thinking the guy is going to ask for an autograph, offers him one on a napkin. The guy goes, "Nah, the Jets suck." What a dirtbag. Lewis laughed it off in the interview and then really laughed, but he did say a bunch of players were always on the receiving end of stuff like that in awful times when they were recognized in public. Not part of the calendar questions, but Lewis was also a 3 time Pro Bowler and the third longest tenured New York Jet.

mrjet80 likes this.
  6. jetophile

Moving along . . . What year did Joe Namath become pro football's first 4,000 yard passer?

7. mrjet80

1967 - 4007 yards

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  8. jetophile

Ivory it is, but Jones was a great educated guess. You should go on Jets Jeopardy! Then again, if it was Jets Jeopardy, nobody would win anything. :/ I still have my boys XLarge cheapo iron on decals Model's replica New York Jets Thomas Jones jersey. It always brought me luck whenever I wore it . . . except for that time I was hit by an anvil on Bagel Street. abyzmul used to call Thomas Jones Guns because his biceps were like giant softballs. As a matter of fact, abyzmul posted a gif that I couldn't find of the below and when the Jets first signed him from Chicago he said, "Welcome, Guns." It just kind of stuck, although I don't think he came up with it. I liked Jones a lot, I just wish he didn't run up the middle so much. Strong as F, though.

Hahahahaha, I loved that so much at the time it still hurts. More on Jones . . .

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/...r-esiason-thomas-jones-hall-of-fame-nominees/

9. jetophile

Correct again. And it was a 14 game season back when I walked 2 miles to school in the snow with no shoes.

10. jetophile

JETS FACT: Defensive end Mark Gastineau led the Jets in sacks each season from 1982 (the first year that the NFL officially began tracking the statistic) through 1985.

What team won the AFL championship the year that Joe Namath passed for 4,000 yards in 1967?
    This is a super easy one . . .

11. mrjet80

The Raiders.

And in 1981 Klecko led the team with 20 1/2 sacks....Gastineau was right behind with 20.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. jetophile

Correct. And barf.

JETS FACT: Linebacker Kyle Clifton played in a Jets record 204 consecutive games (not including strike games) from 1984 to 1996.

Who was the leading rusher for the Jets' Super Bowl winning team in 1968?
    Another easy one, unless you're champ, who thinks it was the 1969 Jets.

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Here is a fun one:

During the Brady/Billchek era the Patriots failed to win the division only twice. Who were the only 2 QB's to led their team to a division win over the Pats?

#73 ouchy, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Wasn’t it Chad Pennington both times?

ouchy, mrjet80 and MoWilkBeast like this.
  15. mrjet80

It was Pennington in 2002 with the Jets and again in 2008 with the Dolphins ...trick question.

AJW and ouchy like this.
  16. mrjet80

Well it would have been either Matt Snell or Emerson Boozer. I’ll go with Snell...

17. mrjet80

A lot of people see 4000 yards and shrug. However throwing for 4000 yards in 1967 would be equivalent to throwing for well over 6000 in today’s game. Even if it was the crazy AFL...

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  18. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is in Jetophile's calendar, but it should be.

What Jet has the longest punt? I believe it is still an NFL record?

19. matt robinson 17

Steve O'Neill 98 yards vs Broncos in Denver, carried 75 yards in the Mile High air and rolled from the Jets 1 to the Broncos 1

Patriot likes this.
  20. matt robinson 17

Joe threw for 4007 yds when great QB's were throwing for 2500 yds