New York is known for what sport

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by eyedea, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

The Bills do play in Buffalo, so Buffalo does have a team. If the Bills moved to Toronto, Buffalo would not have a team, and New York State would be left without any NFL teams at all.

The fact that NYC doesn't have any NFL or big college football teams is a pretty big deal. Sure, lots of NYC fans root for the Jets or the Giants, but neither team even has offices in New York.

So this can't be a football state.

In baseball, NY has two teams, one of which is the most legendary in its sport. The other, while not very successful lately, does still have a lot of fans.

If you were saying "What sports team is NY known for?" Yankees would get more than 90%, I think.

If it was sport, baseball would get the majority, I'm sure.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The Bills play in orchard Parek which is actually further away from Buffalo than East Rutherford, NJ is to NYC.

The Jets and Giants represent NYC.

Most people outside of NY consider New York City to be Manhattan and neither the Yanks or Mets play there.

3. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

New York City is not just Manhattan. People who have that belief are simply mistaken.

Orchard Park is a suburb of Buffalo! East Rutherford is in another state.

4. nyjunc

ER is in the NYC metropolitan area.

ER to NYC: 13 miles
    OP to Buf: 15 miles

Again, most people outside of this area think Manhattan when they think NYC. The Jets and Giants represent NYC and play in the NYC metropolitan area like the Cowboys don't play in Dallas, the redskins don't play in DC and the Bills don't play in Buffalo.

5. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

Yea, but the Jets/Giants still play in NJ. And baseball is still more popular.

6. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Being in the same area isn't the same as being a suburb. If a team plays in a suburb of a city, then it can be considered like in the city.

7. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

You can talgate in NJ you cant in NYC.. Jets/Giants play in NJ.

8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Do you have to cross a body of water, cross state lines, wait in loads of traffic, or pay a hefty toll to get to Orchard Park?

Most educated people know Manhattan is not the only part of NYC, even if not from NY.
    Queens is part of NYC, where the Jets came from (not counting the Titans years.) Typically takes 90 plus min if lucky to get to East Rutherford from there.
    That is significant, and not what anyone living in the city of Buffalo is experiencing.

There is no football in NYC. The city watched both teams leave. There is also no college football in NYC.
    For baseball, the city wouldn't even consider the respective teams leaving their boroughs let alone the city entirely. They even helped get minor league teams set up in Staten Island and Brooklyn. Every f'n borough has had a team.
    It sucks but this is a baseball town due to history, and the way NYC itself has embraced the teams.

9. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

Wait, you are wrong now I think of it, Wagner College on Staten Island has a football team.

10. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

absolutely, I agree.

11. nyjunc

ER is essentially a suburb of NYC as all northern NJ towns are and SE CT towns.

How do you guys explain the jets coming off a humiliation vs. SF and losing their best O and D player playing a game in october can draw higher ratings than the best team in town playing game 2 of a postseason series? That's like the yanks playing a game in May and outdrawing the Jets in the divisional round.

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

haha, true. I got recruited to play there, and one of my HS teammates did end up playing 4 years for them. Good program.
    Not too many people know a 1AA program in the most forgotten borough tho (no disrespect for Wagner of course).

13. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

I know lol. Not a bad school though, my Wife went to Wagner.

14. nyjunc

Rich Kotite's alma mater

15. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I'm sure all those towns would beg to differ.

16. nyjunc

I bet they wouldn't, that is the selling points of those towns. It's why homes are so valuable in those areas.

17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Columbia and Fordham have football teams too.