New York Daily News reports Rex Ryan will be the Jets next HC ...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Jan 14, 2009.

1. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Jim Mora had Mike Vick as quarterback – no one can win when dealt such a bad hand.

2. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Weren't all of those players on the team last year when they went 3-13?

And the best coaches, most of the ones going to Canton, started off as assistants.

3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Was it not Mora that drafted him? If he did then he has nobody to blame but himself for what happen in Atl

4. Jets Family Values

Jets Family Values New Member

I'm sorry, you are correct. Mike Nolan. was the def-co. The same one who when down by 7 with 2 minutes to go decides to kick a fg and hope for an onside kick.

5. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

That's about as real as it gets.

6. Jets Family Values

Jets Family Values New Member

I never mentioned anything about the team's record in anything I wrote. Only their defense and who motivates them. Ray Lewis is the key to that defense and has been the only mainstay throughout the last decade.
    I bet those so-called assistants you are talking about going to canton didn't get passed over for a head coaching job by their own assistants. That would be like al groh taking over the jets instead of belicheck after parcells left. And I can probably name you more assistants who took over who didn't or won't make it to canton especially for their 1st head coaching job.

7. championjets69

Getting a HC is really a matter of luck. Look at Tomlin, Harbaugh, Weisenhut & the Smith before the year started who would have said they would be as good as they turned out? Probably nobody. Did not Pitt pick Tomlin over Weis? If Ryan concentrates on the D & finds a competant OC who knows how to put our personnel in the right position he to could be very successful

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Not that I'm down on Ryan yet, and not sure I ever wanted Spags, but NO WONDER Spanuolo did not 'impress' our accountant GM...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...ts_plan_tab_rex_ryan_keep_brian_schott-1.html

Jets' plan: Tab Rex Ryan, keep Brian Schottenheimer

By RICH CIMINI
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The Jets have a game plan. Really, they do. If everything falls right, they will wind up with two of the top candidates on their coaching list.

Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, the odds-on favorite, is expected to retain Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer if he's offered the head-coaching job, league sources said Wednesday.

Ryan, Schottenheimer, Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and Cards assistant head coach Russ Grimm remain the leading candidates among the eight who interviewed for the position. Ryan's willingness to keep Schottenheimer, whom the organization regards as an up-and-coming coach, isn't the reason why the Jets are prepared to hire him, but it does make Ryan more attractive.

Initially, there was talk in league circles that Ryan would target Ravens quarterbacks coach Hugh Jackson as his offensive coordinator, but friends say Ryan learned a lesson two years ago while interviewing for the Chargers' head-coaching vacancy. Ryan didn't want to hire Ted Cottrell as his defensive coordinator - that was the preference of GM A.J. Smith - and it may have been a reason why he lost out to Norv Turner, who agreed to Cottrell. Turner wound up firing Cottrell this season.

Ryan has no background with Schottenheimer, but he may consider it more palatable to hire a "stranger" in this case because he and Schottenheimer coach on opposite sides of the ball and, in theory, wouldn't butt heads. Spagnuolo wants the power to hire his own coaches and he would like to have authority over the 53-man roster, according to sources - likely one of the reasons he has slipped behind Ryan.

If Ryan lands the job - and there's every reason to believe it will happen next week if the Ravens lose in Sunday's AFC Championship Game - he will target Ravens outside linebackers coach Mike Pettine as his defensive coordinator, according to a league source.

Meanwhile, the Jets have yet to re-interview Spagnuolo, sources said - a clear indication that he's not their No. 1 choice.

Spagnuolo is scheduled to interview Thursday with St. Louis, where he's considered one of five finalists. He has a relationship with newly hired Rams GM Billy Devaney, fueling speculation that he could land the job. Ryan is a contender in St. Louis, but he appears to lean toward the Jets.

The longer the Jets wait, the more it looks like Ryan's job. With Ryan and Grimm both coaching in Sunday's conference championships, Jets brass wants to wait for the outcomes before making its move.

Way to go, Mike T. You suck ass.

9. championjets69

Since RR is a D oriented guy he should take charge of that unit & make it dominant. He should bring in a OC who knows how to put our players in the best position to succeed & that would be his route to success

10. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

My point is that those players you mentioned were also on the team when they sucked also. Maybe it is not JUST the players, the coaching also has alot to do with the success of a franchise. So dismissing the effect of a coach for a team's success, just because they might have good players, is a mistake IMO.

Well of course, but that goes without saying. MOST coaches won't be going to Canton. But I think you are missing my point again. My point is that coaches have to start somewhere. To dismiss someone out of hand because they are a coordinator is nonsense. Everyone has to go up through the ranks.

And it is not so much about someone's 1st, 2nd, or 3rd head coaching opportunity, it is about finding the best fit between a coach, franchise, city, and players. Sometimes that happens on the first try, sometimes the fourth. I can also name you coaches that did fantastic in their first head coaching position, Madden, Johnson, Dungy (he did great in Tamp AND Indy), Cowher, just to name a few. I could also go with the other side of the argument too.

The point is, just because a guy is an "assistant" doesn't mean he will bad coach. Just like if a guy has head coaching experience it doesn't mean he will do great. The important part is trying to find the best "fit" and getting lucky.

#90 dabrowsk1, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  11. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

...and the Jets downward spiral into raiderdom continues. Let the guy hire his own staff Woddy!

12. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Wow champ, I believe this is the first time I have ever agreed with you. I think hell has frozen over, lol. :up:

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I agree. But if that were his plan, I doubt he would be the front-runner for the job. Tannenbaum is continuing the tried-and-failed WoodyJets philosophy of forcing coordinators on their new HCs.

14. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

At least one paper will have an article announcing who the coach is until someone is hired. They all want to be the first.

15. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

This is probably the closest we're going to get for an endorsement of something the Jets do out of Champ.

16. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Michael Vick wasn't a great pure passer(obviously) but he was a winner. I don't undrestand where it comes from that Vick sucked.

17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

nice point Abyzmul, the Jets front office want yes men, I only hope that he is allowed to bring in his own DC.

I'm sorry fellow Jet fans, I don't want to be negative it's just sooo frustrating because we have a chance to make decisions that will have a positive effect on our team for years to come, however I feel we are becoming the Dallas Cowboys a team with talent but lacking the coaching staff to take them to the next level, I truly thought last year the Jets biggest problem was coaching, now we are bringing in a rookie HC who may not even like the west coast offense but has to accept it in order to be a HC and that does not sit well with me.

18. brothermoose

^^He didn't suck, he blew.

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I really think keeping Schott on as OC is the right move to make. We are going to have two young QBs battling it out for the starting position. It would only set them back even further for them to have to learn a new offense. Schott has shown good and bad with the Jets but it sounds like he is highly regarded throughout the NFL.

20. brothermoose

The ONLY good reason to keep schitty jr. is if his playcalling was seriously hampered by Mangini, otherwise, the guy sucks.