New Jets/giants Stadium

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tanknyc, Jan 27, 2007.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Ah me thinks you are forgetting about the construction unions that have a total grip on the pols in the NY/NJ area. As a example the Boys are getting a new similar stadia & theres will cost only 600M so it must be all those illegal aliens flooding over the Mexico/Texas border whose labor costs are far less then a NY/NJ construction union member. Certainly the cost of materials like concrete. steel would be more or less the same in Dallas as in NJ right?

2. championjets69

Wash plays elsewhere right? Buffalo plays outside Bflo also. The new Cowboy stadia is not in Dallas.

3. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

What's going to happen when the Yank's build another stadium like Iv heard. are they building it where the current one is now ? Are they refurbishing the current one? Would there be anything that we could do with the stadium?
    Im sure this has been mentioned once or twice. The Jets in the Bronx ,That would be wild and Talk about visting fans being subjected to that kind of home feild!

4. harts24

harts24 Member

LONG F**KING ISLAND,WHO THE HELL WANTS TO GO THERE,AND YES AT ONE TIME L.I. HAD THE BIGGEST FAN BASE. THAT WAS ABOUT 25YRS. AGO SO THAT ARGUEMENT HOLDS NO WATER. I DIDN`T REAILIZE L.I. WAS STILL CONSIDERED N.Y.AND BESIDES JERSEYS CLOSER TO THE CITY SO GET USE TO IT!

5. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

On the subject of domed stadiums, I'd just like to add that I too, favored a dome on this one.

But on a recent TV show (the one with Dan Marino and Chris Collingsworth on HBO) they were discussing what they referred to as "Dome Teams," meaning teams with Domed Stadiums.

They pointed out that New Orleans was at a disadvantage playing in Chicago in that miserable weather, and then I remembered that it was the Giants that wanted this stadium open and not domed, not the Jets. Does anyone remember this?

Anyway, it was the Giants' contention that if you play at least 8 of your 16 games in a dome, it makes it harder for that team to adjust to playing in miserable, adverse weather conditions. And this is what they were discussing on the TV show, that Dome Teams often run into trouble with cold, wet balls, for example, and one of them even said, "It's a whole other ball game" when you're used to playing in a dome and then have to handle wet, slippery, cold balls (passing and running) and deal with muddy, sloppy footing... it effects turnovers, dropped passes, fumbles, KO returns, the whole 9 yards.

On the show, they even had some statistics that showed that "Dome Teams" don't do as well in away games in adverse weather. Did anyone else see this recent show?

Anyway, I think there may be something to this and, although I hate to admit it, perhaps the Giants have a point of sorts about winning... about a Dome Team being unprepared to play in all kinds of weather as opposed to a team that plays in it all the time. They pointed out that the Colts are a Dome Team playing Chicago, but that it'll be played in Maimi... nice, warm weather, so their "Dome Factor" won't be as much of an issue, if at all.

So, I'm starting to think that maybe this isn't such a bad idea from a winning standpoint... to not be a Dome Team. Hey, I want the damned thing as much as anyone else... I'm getting older now and would love to sit in the stadium at 65 degrees and not have to layer up, but from a winning standpoint, I want our team to be prepared and used to playing in any kind of weather. Maybe it's not such a bad thing that we won't be domed.

#25 Section 227. Row 5, Jan 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2007
  6. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

1. Why not move the stadium to New York? Well, firstly, it's the NJ Gov't kicking in the cash. Second, what is the motivation for the owners to move to NY? Will there be an increase in fans? No. Some of us may be unhappy about the stadium being in NJ but we are still fans and still show.

2. Why build it at all? Two simple reasons. One, it's cheap. The NJ Gov't kicks in. The NFL kicks in. And the Jets get to split the cost with the Giants. In the end, it won't cost much. Second, more club seats. That's where all the money is made.

7. joejets1

joejets1 Member

There is no room in Long ISland to build an 80,000 seat staduim. The only possbible place is queens but the Mets already own that area.

8. championjets69

I do not believe if you read the links that the state of NJ is contributing a penny to this venture. All they have done is arranged for the land that I think is leased by the teams for 5M per year. The NFL LOANED both the NYJs & NYGs 150M towards the building of the stadium which to me means both teams have to PAY back the loans to the NFL right? The links also say the teams are constructing the stadium totally themselves without any assistance from the government. The way I have it figured if the final number is 1.4B then the NYJ share is 700M & if you divide that by the 82,000 supposed seats that will be a PSL of $8,500.00 per seat more/less so that the Woody gets back his 700M investment. Most probably when this is all said & done the NYGs & NYJs franchises will be worth the most in the NFL

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

NY/NJ doesn't matter because I read that NY will assimulate the State of NY in about 2 years when Staton Island Land Fill is full. We will all be one big happy land fill.

10. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Absolutely. Silver and Bruno, those are your guys. Typical New York, bribe taking, self serving politicians. That's why nothing ever gets done in New York, never mind a stadium, nothing.

11. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

I can't cite a source, but yes, I definitely remember the Giants not wanting the dome (proof says the Jets didn't mind since their West End stadium had a dome). The Giants also did not want Cheerleaders, as they want their fans close to the field.

12. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I don't remember their objection to the cheerleaders (WTF... are these people so far out of it they don't like to look at a little tail once in a while?), but I do distinctly remember them being vehemently opposed to the dome.

I'm not a Giants fan by any stretch of the imagination, but perhaps their objection to the dome was not without merit. And during our negotiations with the Giants, one of the sticking points was the dome (among many other things), and it's one of the points that we seem to have given up on fairly early.

My thought is, perhaps our FO agreed with the Giants on the statistics of winning away games while playing half your season (your home games) under a dome. I suppose there could be something to this.

13. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

good research. you don't know what you're talking about

14. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Since we weren't going for the Manhattan stadium, and trying to be the centerpiece of the universe, I think our FO noticed the 200-300M savings ..

As for the cheerleaders, I believe it was in the papers as something the Maras were against... they believe in pure football... Not saying if it's right or wrong, just what they are saying.

15. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

Yankees have already started on there new stadium. It's going to be right across the street.

Current one will stay in some form, I think they are keeping the field for youth games, and maybe the lower level, and taking a lot of it down.

The days of shared stadiums between football and baseball teams are pretty much over. It always leads to a bad experience for either football fans, baseball fans, or both.

16. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

I think a retractable roof that stays open for football would have been ideal, but I don't know if I could see them leaving it open in poor weather, and risk losing concession money on the fans that don't show.

17. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

I would have preferred to see a dome.. would have made much more sense financially.

My guess? The state will eventually cave in and pay for it, which is what the teams want, as long as the state gets the promise to use the stadium for other events.. with the giants/jets of course getting some cash.

18. FREEJET

FREEJET New Member

That's because the Stadium is in NJ and alot of L.I. people don't want to travel to NJ for every game. Put the stadium in NYC and their would be more Jets season ticket holders (if the seats were available). The number of season tickets doesn't tell you the size of the fan base. That's just stupid.

19. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

So whats the advantage in moving then?

They already sell out every game, and have a long waiting list.

I have no idea what exact location has the most Jets fans, but if most of the current season ticket holders are from New Jersey, than there is no real reason to move.

No location is going to satisfy everybody.

20. Beamen

Beamen New Member

A lot of teams are named after cities and don't play in them.... I'm not 100% on this one, but off the top of my head, the Redskins don't play in DC, Bills are in Orchard Park, The Pats are considered Boston's team, yet, Foxboro, Mass.... It happens a ton....