Need advice on Game Consoles

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Brook!, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Khan

Khan Active Member

Sony is tonight and Nintendo isn't doing a conference this year, they're just doing a special version of one of their online announcement shows (Nintendo Direct).

2. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

Sony basically announced they compensated for all the shortcomings of the Xbox 1, buy used games, play offline etc

3. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I agree strongly. I really hate the idea of it having to be online to play any game. It's complete BS. What if your internet goes down and you want to play a game while you're waiting? Console gaming has been getting worse and worse with the lock down of user rights and privacy. There's no reason that should be mandatory. I'm done with console gaming, it's weak as hell. The last generation (PS3) wasn't worth it. PS3 is bad with the online stuff too. It forces you to do long updates, even just to watch netflix, let alone play ANY game. I'm sticking with PC gaming from here on out. Can't believe I even wasted the money on PS3. I was so pissed off when my buddy let me borrow MVC3, to help him unlock stuff, only to find out that the saved game data wont work on my system because it's not his. Absolute crap. Consoles kicked ass in the old days, but PC gaming is better and adapts as technology adapts. With consoles it always takes 3-4 years before companies can even fully utilize the capabilities of the graphics, and by the time they master it, the next generation comes out. Screw that. Old gaming systems used to have some value, because you can always dust them off 10 years later and play them. With the new generation that will be impossible and I feel that's exactly what they want. They want to keep consumers sucked in buying the new stuff always and forgetting the old. Shame shame.

#23 Barcs, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  4. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I really hope the PS4 plans look good, cuz the Xbox one looks like a huge POS.

Also, keep this in the BS section please. We need a game thread!

5. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Definitely get the PS4, the Xbox One will fail. Many of the people who went from PS2 to 360 are now reverting back to Sony.

Just stay away from the Xbox one.

6. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Also I own a Wii U and its not worth buying yet. Wait until Smash Bros, or Mario Kart etc.

7. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

If your six year olds start playing shit like Call of Duty and Halo, they are going to be having some seriously fucked up dreams

8. DemoIsland

DemoIsland Member

They hear enough "fucked up" shit from other kids at school. If they wish to play these games multiplayer, I would just disconnect the headsets so they don't have to hear all the BS people speak.

I don't get why people think the Xbox One will fail. Honestly, don't get any of the new consoles because they will most definitely have bugs. I love video games. From the original Nintendo's to the Amiga, all the way up to the most current PS3/Xbox. I have them all. And I will buy the PS4 and Xbox One sometime next year. I wasn't a huge Sega fan, but I bought them anyway.

If you can, get an xbox 360 refurbished from gamestop. They work just fine for much less. I have 3 refurbed xbox 360 (all 1 year in now, my new ones lasted me a good 2 years), with 3 PS3 and 2 Wii consoles, for 3 separate televisions/rooms.

9. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

The Xbox One seems to be too restrictive and well the PS4 is coming in at a 100 dollars cheaper. What I'm disappointed about is that Ps4 is going to require PSN plus (Xbox Live Gold equivalent) to play online multiplayer.

I'm not going to buy either system at launch, but I'm leaning heavily towards the Ps4 if I do go onto the next gen consoles.

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I always thought Nintendo was the better brand for kids. WII was great, simple and kid friendly. I'd save Xbox/PS for when they get into their teenage years.

11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The Kinect being online at all times sketches me out.

12. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

This. The end of consumer freedom: you purchase games you don't actually own to play on a system that can essentially be permanently disabled by Microsoft whenever Microsoft comes out with the XBone's successor.

And this. Anyone who thinks the NSA's current deal with Microsoft won't expand to include looking at your living room is an idiot.

13. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

+1 :beer: Couldn't agree more.. PS4 EASILY wins.

14. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

In my opinion... being as young as they are I would really consider just getting them the original Nintendo Wii, especially if you don't play any games. There are tons of games that will occupy their time for a few years until they get bored and want something else. By then, the PS4/XBOX One should be down in price... big time. I'm sure at their age, their friends aren't going to have a 360 or a PS3 so who cares about that. If you're interested I have one I can sell you dirt cheap.

15. Scandal26

Scandal26 New Member

Seeing as you already made your choice this is probably moot.

I have both a PS3 and XBox360. I've always been more of a PS3 fanboy but seeing that your kids are so young, I would recommend getting the 360 with the Kinect. Even though the Kinect isn't perfect, it has a lot of fun family games. Even my wife, who is not a gamer by any means, likes to play Kinect games.

Either way, check the ratings and reviews for whatever games you buy so that you know if they are appropriate for your kids. Enjoy!

16. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

As far as next gen goes.

The PS4 is cheaper, more powerful and if you believe the game developers easier to create on. As in after all these years Sony did it right by the game makers and the consumers.

Microsoft is getting beat up anywhere and every where with their stance on used games and the price of the console. My issue like many is the "always on" and the Kinect thing watching me. Weird.

I have been a Sony fan since the mid 90's. Owned them all. Fan of the franchises on the system.

17. Usica

Usica New Member

Go with the Wii. Xbox and PS are great for anyone who wants to play first person shooters and those types of games, but for a 7 year old I'd go for the Wii. This will allow them to move around and get some exercise while they play and Wii has a lot of family friendly games. It isn't a bad idea to get them a console. The world is largely propelled by technology, so you might want to emerge them, with a limit, so they won't be behind the other kids.