NBC Sports: Chris Ivory Visits Jets (Update: Traded to Jets for 4th round pick)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SienaSaints, Apr 13, 2013.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I liked this move last night when we made it... I love it 16 hours later.

Ivory kind of reminds me of Sproles and Turner... not in style, but paths. They were both stuck behind a starting RB, shined when they got the chance, then got the chance and exploded. Ivory certainly has all the physical tools to do the same. I like the contract we gave him too. He'll be looking for a new deal in the prime of his career, you know he's going to play his ASS off these next few years to make sure he gets his money.

I'm perfectly fine with the compensation too. Would a 5th have been better? Of course. But if you're watching the draft right now and seeing the guys on the board or the guys that are being taken... can you REALLY say that they could step in and start at a position of need for us? That's what we got with our 4th round pick. A guy who can step in and carry a bulk of the load.

2. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

Had allot to drink last night?

3. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I think I lost ya. Murray was a 3rd round pick, and Jones is on the street now.

Still no RB's selected in round 4 btw.

4. BroadwayAaron

Not at all, why?

5. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

My point is there was someone drafted lower on their roster that was better than a number one pick..Ingram was a number 1 and is average at best.. If Ivory was a stud like everyone else thinks he is he could have over taken him and started.. The only place 1 picks are hard to take the spot of are QB's.. They tend to get more leeway.. Everyone else, not so much.. Look tab Aaron Curry OLB and Mayheem.. Number 1's who lost their jobs., basically I am calling BS that Payton stuck with Ingram over Ivory because he was a number 1 draft pick..

6. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

Ivory is not that good.. And 2nd round tender was just in case someone was dumb enough to sign him.. Howard got a 2nd round tender.. Is he worth a 4th round draft pick on? Nope

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Wasn't the split down the middle compensation was a 5th round pick? Saints wanted a 4th and we were offering a 6th.

8. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

A 5th maybe.. Not a 4th

9. BroadwayAaron

What other than not getting carries in a pass-heavy offense with 4 RBs says Ivory isn't good? When he's gotten the touches, he's produced. Same thing with Goodson. Idzik has done his homework and gone for young, cost-effective guys that could flourish given the chance. Anyone saying "he's not good" is basing that on nothing but their own personal belief... because it sure isn't the numbers that say he's not good.

What does the tender matter? The Austin Howard comparison is pretty irrelevant. Different positions, different talent. A for effort though.

10. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

They threw the ball 670 times last season. Sproles got a lot of the action at HB because of his pass catching abilities. Ingram only had 156 carries as their top back. He's going to be fine.

STILL no RBs taken in the 4th round. Edit - Franklin just taken at 125.

Why is Ivory "not that good"? You don't back it up with a lot.

11. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

1- Not sure how this disputes what I said. You basically parroted me with more details. His resume is: can't get on the field.

2- 5 backs, one UDFA kept on the roster after Ivory has been on the team. Signed for Sproles while he was on the team, drafted Ingram. In other words, no plans to let Ivory see the field unless in an emergency.

3- He's been injured his whole career going back to college. Sophomore, Junior years at WSU, last year at Tiffin. Gotcha. You realize that injury concerns with these rooks are less established than the Ivory's. 6 consecutive years. Saying he's better than what would've been available is your opinion.

4- Yes, I do. We overpaid for Ivory, when looking at what else has been accomplished for similar draft picks. We got Holmes for not even a conditional escalator in case he would be on his best behavior. A straight up 5th. Hindsight is not used in exchanging draft picks.

Ivory has potential. He's huge and runs violent but I just think we overpaid and I thought Idzik had strength in negotiating. I hope he's running over Hightower, Mario, and Wake et al. next year as part of a successful RBBC.

12. BroadwayAaron

I REALLY have to ask the people still hung up on the 4th rounder... WHO would you have rather had? We got a STARTING RB with our 4th rounder. Who were we taking in the 4th that could have walked on the field and started? Franklin? Debatable. And that's just about it. It's not like we gave up a future 4th where we can say "well what if someone is there" because we don't know what the class will look like. We are seeing exactly what we gave up right now on TV. And if you aren't fine with it, then you should either be a GM because you're a hell of a talent scout or you just need a reason to complain.

13. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

No matter what I say it won't be good enough for you to get off his nuts.. We'll see what happens, and we'll be drafting a RB next year and Ivory will be on the street.. You never answered my question why wasn't he starting over Ingram if he was so good?

Based on your numbers he should have been the work horse and carried more than Ingram and he didn't.. Oh yeah injuries forget that.. BS.. Why are none of the experts talking this up? I didn't see anything that said the Jets stole Ivory from the Saints? Why didn't Green Bay go after him? Or Miami? Or Detriot?

14. BroadwayAaron

1. No one is on his nuts. You're embellishing to try and prove your point.

2. Ingram was a power runner, Sproles was a speed/hands guy. NO was a terrible fit for Ivory because he's not as good as Sproles and not as strong as Ingram.

3. No experts are talking this up because there's no need to. Like I said, you're acting like we are all over his nuts because we said he COULD do very well here, or think he will. Why would that be blown up all over the media? Players get traded all the time, no one makes a big deal out of it unless it's a QB.

4. So because another team didn't go after him, that means he sucks? Your logic is all sorts of ass backwards. I think I've read all I need to read to know any conversation with you is going to go in a complete circle.

15. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

To say he is a beast and a steal is an overstatement.. That's what I am saying

16. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

I am not a fan of trading picks, not at all, but under the circumstances, why continue to "reach" for players in this years draft rounds 4-7 ?

Our Superbowl of drafts were the first 3 picks, all Pro Bowlers, all great great players.

Finally a draft with 3 starters, not only that but pro bowlers. 3 Pro Bowlers in one draft!!!

I am estatic!!!

17. BroadwayAaron

Who called him a beast and a steal?

18. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

Well another OL.. 5 Guards

19. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

Scroll thru the thread... Really wasn't arguing with you.. Just making a pt to other morons on him

20. AlToon

AlToon Member