NBC Sports: Chris Ivory Visits Jets (Update: Traded to Jets for 4th round pick)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SienaSaints, Apr 13, 2013.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i also woudlnt count out mcknight be moved to defense/special teams. rex toyed with it before

2. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Essentially we drafted Ivory with the 4th round pick, and the FO felt his talent was higher than anyone still on the board. I find the trade fine. The FO waited patiently to see if anybody they rated higher than Ivory would still be on the board. At that point, they pulled the trigger.

Ivory already has NFL experience, and although he's not a guaranteed stud, he is ahead of anyone currently in the 2013 class (at least from an experience stand point).

Ivory isn't going to have to carry 30 times a game, he will most likely split the load with Goodson.

If you're feeling down on the trade, you can go watch his highlight clips from last year and 2011. While you watch, picture Greene running right into the line with his head down. Ivory's vision is really good, his diagonal running style and cut back abilities are really good.

Some runs on his clips are the product of a light box. However, there are also some stacked box formations he gets through in the clips. Regardless, his second level running is something we haven't seen in along while.

3. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

"experience" at the RB position is more of a negative than positive. It's the easiest position to transition to, Nd it's the fastest position to deteriorate.

4. rockyusmc2003

Experience is never a negative. There are plenty more aspects to playing RB than just running the ball. Just knowing the speed of the game, and being able to identify blitz pickup is a HUGE part of being a successful back.

If you're going to say wear and tear, some of the guys drafted have more mileage than Ivory! Ivory didn't have a huge college resume, and he has relatively low mileage as an NFL back.

5. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Calm down skippy, those statements are what you can make when you look at the SURFACE of the picks. Those have no insight backing them up.

-Chris Ivory is better than anyone I've never seen play.
    -Our rookie 3rd round pick will start immediately (like Ducasse taken a round earlier!)
    -Best QB in the draft! Remember all those mock drafts that were wrong about him being drafted in the first, that must mean we got a steal.

You're not reading or instantly dismissing WHY people have problems with the moves. If you take blanket statements like we got a starter on the O Line, the best QB, and a shiny new RB, well then hell yeah that sounds awesome.

Anyway, these guys are Jets so whether or not I disagree with the moves is irrelevant. I'm guessing this is what all the posters who keep posting the valuable "people who don't like this draft are stupid" posts want not so sure posters to say.

I wish them well and I hope Geno learns to play in New York in December.

6. Going4TheGreen

What? He didn't have a college resume? Yes he did, he went to Washington State, got hurt and moved down the depth chart when a new coach came in. Transferred to Tiffin, got hurt.

Since he's been in the league, he has been hurt each year. The relatively low mileage in terms of carries is because he's always hurt, which is NOT a good aspect of experience.

We have to give him a new contract. There are a lot of reasons to not like giving an always hurt RB a second contract. If there's a games played clauses to achieve all the money in the terms, then fine. If there's a pitiful amount of guaranteed money so we can cut him later without cap ramifications, then fine.

And originally I said why not wait until this morning to trade your fourth but the I read here the Saints NEEDED it to move up into the third. Great negotiating, they need our pick to move up so we oblige.

A fourth round pick, lol. We traded a FIFTH for a Superbowl MVP.

7. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

the guy has 40 carries in the NFL. i dont think he is going deteriorate from that.

8. Y4NK335

Y4NK335 Member

Per rotoworld:

Jets signed RB Chris Ivory to a three-year contract.

Ivory turned 25 last month, so the three-year deal keeps him under the Jets' control through his age-27 season. He'll be eligible to enter free agency at 28, giving Ivory a chance at another significant contract should he capitalize on the opportunity in New York. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport hears the agreement is worth about $3 million annually. If so, it's a good deal for both sides.

9. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Watched as much tape as I could find on him and liked what I saw, I get that he's better than a RB we could have got with that pick but seeing how the Saints had virtually no use for him at all still seems like we overpaid a bit. Maybe if they had thrown in a late pick this year or even next year it wouldn't have been as bad.

10. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

How was Ivory a Rookie? I am confused? If he was so good the Saints wouldn't have drafted Ingram to start above him.. Yea he had 5.1 Yards per carry.. That don't mean squat on his limited workload..there was a reason he is a 4th string running back.. Sean Payton isn't a dumb offensive coach..

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah... I have seen people say he was a rookie last season multiple times. Ivory was signed as UDFA by the Saints in 2010.

12. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Misconception here....

Being hurt isn't the reason why he got less carries....at least not the only one.

1. Sean Payton gave up a future 1st for Ingram...he has too much pride as a off. guru to give up on him. Sproles is also dynamic for the pass happy attack they have.

2. NO has an offensive attack that's pass heavy. What this means is that the offensive rolls on Brees arm with an occasional run here and there. You can't hold it against Ivory that he's in a pass happy offense in a crowded backfield no less.

3. Ivory has work to do as a pass protector.....A big role for a RB is to pass protect for a QB.....ESPECIALLY in what Payton runs where Brees and keeping him up right is important. Ingram blocks better, but Ivory can be taught how to protect better.

He runs a violent style, he gets hurt...its not unheard of. Its like getting mad that a LB gets hurt often....its going to happen given the violence of the position.

#492 BakerMaker, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  13. South J-E-T

South J-E-T Member

Did not like the Milliner pick at #9 - but that is justa matter of opinion. Drafting a CB was fine, just don't think Milliner is strong and physical as needs to be in NFL. However, I understand the reasoning behind every pick and love getting Geno in the 2nd and Ivery in the 4th. I'm sure we had our sites on Mingo and Austin 1st rd but they were gone. This team is not as far off from winning as the haters and media are saying. If G Smith has even an average performance as the starter next year - this is a 10 win team. Ivory will be huge and Richardson, Ellis, Muhammed, and Coples is as good of a D front in the leauge.

14. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

Would have loved Lattimore with this 4th rounder. If he gets healthy, he will be a very good RB. I think the upside of Lattimore is too good to pass up for Chris Ivory but we shall see.

15. Going4TheGreen

1. So why does NO draft Ingram, sign Sproles, and keep an undrafted FA last year on the roster (to make it 5 RBs) if Ivory has been such a hidden gem over his first 3 years?

2. Right and that might make it easy for Ivory to get explosive plays (the 5.1 YPC) when he IS healthy and playing when everyone's job on D is to watch out for an NFL great at QB.

3. It's not like we don't want our QBs standing upright. Are we now supposedly fixed at OL because we drafted a 3rd round depth guy, one of the worst guards in the league in Peterman, and Colon (good player, knee concerns, penalties)?

It's excusable to be physically unable to perform 50% of the time because he plays RB. Ok.

I hope he plays well, stays healthy. He certainly has some upside.

16. rockyusmc2003

1- Went to Washington State - Ivory had *91* rushing attempts there (less than 30 at Tiffin). His time at Washington State was more marred by a change in coaches then it did was his injury. He went to Tiffin and THAT is where he had a severe knee injury. Like I said, it's a limited resume. By comparison, Monte Ball had 924 carries, Taylor 843 carries, Bell 671 carries, and Franklin had 572.

2- He has low carries cause the backfield has 4 backs that split carries for different scenarios. Brees had 670 pass attempts last season, that is 2nd in the league. Their top back (Ingram) had 156 rushing attempts, which is almost HALF of the top backs in the league.

3- Ivory broke his foot in the last game of the season of 2010. He was placed on the PUP in 2011 for the same injury. 2010 was probably his worst season in terms of being injured, and this was one season removed from his Tiffin injury. The Saints always have a number of backs, which makes it easier to label backs as out. We will see. On the flipside, guys like Christine Michael had 2 season ending surgeries, Kniles Davis the same, Eddie Lacy fell cause of injury concerns and we all know about Lattimore. This is probably his biggest question mark. Although, he's been fairly healthy since his 2011 injury.

4- You really want to compare this to Holmes? Jets traded a 5th for a guy that was 1 problem away from a year suspension. In hindsight, we got what we paid for.

Is Ivory perfect? No. But, he's definitely worth a 4th round pick considering who was available. Best of the left over guys are still around as of pick 115.

17. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

Confused here? Jerry Jones gave up the farm for Felix Jones and realized Murray was better so I don't buy that line because he was a 1st Round pick you stick with him when someone on the bench is better.. Keep selling yourself on that one.. He is no better than what we have.. The Saints traded that 4th to guess who Miami.. They chose a TE.. Seems like everyone is out to screw the Jets..

18. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Spot on.

Fillski

19. rockyusmc2003

Felix Jones was partially a JAG on the Cowboys for 3 seasons prior to them getting Murray.

#499 rockyusmc2003, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  20. 43Chubby

43Chubby New Member

And he was a number 1 pick that year and they still had Barbor.. My point is he was starting and they drafted a guy after he was starting to go number 1.. If they thought that high of him they wouldn't have gobbled up a RB with their number 1....overrated completely.. He will be cut within two years..