Nathaniel Hackett hired as OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Jan 26, 2023.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

nothing was solved by anyone. It was a tire fire. One of the worst coaching efforts in recent memory

Jets79 likes this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Luckily he wasn’t hired to do 75% of what he had to do in Denver and failed at.

3. BrowningNagle

what?

4. BroadwayAaron

Fat finger post… started typing two different thoughts and didnt erase half

Luckily he wasn’t hired to do 75% of what he failed at in Denver. He’s not managing the clock or keeping egos in check or worrying about upsetting the franchise’s mistake of a centerpiece. He’s calling plays and teaching the offense. Two things he’s had moderate to high success at in multiple stops

KingRoach and RochesterJet like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

Well that’s partially right, managing the clock when you have the ball is an important part of play calling.

And im sure LaFleur would tell ya there were egos to manage here as offensive coordinator

6. BroadwayAaron

Ego management that he’ll have to deal with here is peanuts compared to the Denver mess. Elijah Moore is unhappy with the amount of targets he got. Russell Wilson wanted to change the entire offense.

7. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

It wasn't just Elijah Moore, it was also Denzel Mimms, Corey Davis, and any TE not named Berrios.

8. BroadwayAaron

This is messier than the offense Hackett was forced to run in Denver.

Mims has more penalties than catches, who cares what he thinks?
    Corey Davis had issues? Link me to that story.
    We have no TE's named Berrios, and when did any of them have an ego?

KingRoach and bicketybam like this.
  9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Personally I’m not enamored with this hire…the guy failed big time in Denver. I get all the HC is different than OC talk and agree, but to me it’s still a huge red flag.

so if one of MLFs perceived failings was not being able to tailor his offense to the talent on hand (all this talk about how his offense was not a good fit for Zach), then why are we ok with another OC who also couldn’t tailor his offense to one of the top QBs in the fucking league?

if we get Rodgers because of Hackett then I get it. Otherwise, I’m not impressed with Hackett at all.

and no, I don’t have any other better names to give because with our lack of a legit NFL QB and the perceived hot seat this season for Saleh and JD, I don’t know that we realistically had a good shot to land a top OC candidate. It was always going to be either a newbie or a retread who needed an image rehabilitation. Which is why I wasn’t convinced firing MLF was the right move. We were killing Ulbrecht last year and now that we got some talent on the D we went to top 5. Who’s to say that getting a real QB and better stability on the OL wouldn’t have done something like that for the offense?

in the end I get the firing and no TDs in three games is beyond pathetic so I’m not going to defend MLF too much, but it just seems like we made a move without a clearly better option in place. I guess you can argue that Hackett at least has experience, at least has had some success in the past, and gets us a chance to maybe land Rodgers, so with that lens it can be argued he’s an upgrade…but just in my gut I’m not feeling it.

we’ll see…but I was not super happy to hear this news though I’m willing to give him a chance to prove it was the right move…

10. BrowningNagle

Sadly he is the poster boy for why the Rooney rule exists. This guy keeps getting jobs despite failing everywhere.

His career is built on his dad and his personal relationships, not on performance

Cman68 and barfolomew like this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

This is so far from reality that I don't know where to start.

bicketybam likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

cool thanks for your insights. We know you love the hire. You love everything the Jets do

13. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Great insight!!! You know your stuff

14. BrowningNagle

ESPN's Ryan Clark today sums it up pretty well

“Nathaniel Hackett is actually terrible at coaching. He’s terrible at managing an offense. He’s terrible at decision-making ... He actually shows you that he can’t command a locker room, he can’t hold it all together himself. And now we’re going to ask that guy to be the offensive coordinator in New York, which is the worst place to be anything and not be good at it, just because he might get Aaron Rodgers."

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  15. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Does he have first hand knowledge of hackett?
    If not then why listen? Just another talking head on espn

16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Let's face it. We can pretty this hire up all we want. If we don't get Rodgers I think was an epic fail of a hire.

What other valid reason could the Jets brass have for hiring a guy who couldn't even last an entire season as a HC? You have to be horribly bad as a coach not to last at least one entire season in the NFL. I mean it's almost unprecedented outside of a few high profile examples.

Why would you hire this guy when there are so many up and coming names around the league who have been part of successful offenses?

I don't even give Hackett that much credit for his time in GB with Rodgers because AR was already a long-time HOF QB by the time Hackett came along. Let's face it, Rodgers just likes the guy and his family and it shows in the comments he made about "Hack".

I'm glad he likes him and this better be what gets him to the Jets. If not, this was a horrible hire any way you slice it.

17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He was undrafted has been safety who nobody remembers. Now all of a sudden he's an expert on all things football. You can't make this shit up.

Lon Chaney and barfolomew like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

Well for one, Hacketts terrible results speak for themselves.

Secondly, I’m sure Ryan Clark has a lot of knowledgeable connections around the league

19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

My friend's cousin's girlfriend's dad works at One Jets Drive and sometimes he will pass along a scoop.

rammagen and barfolomew like this.
  20. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

You may be right, but i hope not.
    If someone who has played for him talks similar trash then I'd take notice.
    Im underwhelmed by the hire but ill sendnout some positive vibes to those who need it.