Nathaniel Hackett hired as OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Jan 26, 2023.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

I don't recall ever saying that. What I said is that it has been established that such soil exists and is valid evidence to support that the moon landing took place.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

For starters, here's an article for @BrowningNagle that details why this was absolutely not the offense Hackett wanted to run:

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/russell-wilson-blame-broncos-offense

Included in that article:

Here is where the Hackett criticism is absolutely fair, but also why I don't worry that much about it because he's not our head coach:

Now let's rewind to Hackett's intro presser which was before the Broncos traded for Wilson and compare this with the style the Broncos ACTUALLY ended up playing.

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/nathaniel-hackett-intro-presser-takeaways

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

But then said quotes were hearsay so it seemed like you were picking and choosing what actually mattered. Provided plenty above. And if you really want me to go pluck the quotes referenced from Paton's presser about Wilson having a say in the offensive playbook... well I won't but they exist so you can find em.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

so keeping with your strange restaurant analogy...

Hackett is supposed to be a chef. They gave him filet mignon and he made something that was not edible and you want to blame the filet

5. BroadwayAaron

I mean, yea, the filet is absolutely partially to blame if it's starting to expire. Are you going to also pretend like Russ wasn't terrible running the plays he wanted to run?

6. BrowningNagle

i didn't watch the Broncos. I am a Jets fan. But Russell Wilson has proven to be a good QB in this league, Hackett has proven to suck. when considering that I'm slightly more likely to blame Hackett

7. BroadwayAaron

Ah, the old NCJets "no I dont watch the product that Im talking about but you should definitely still take my opinion on the matter seriously".

8. BrowningNagle

You dont have to take my opinion seriously. At least I admit I didn't watch the Broncos closely. You sure didnt either.

Believing that a career offensive coordinator didn't run his offense when he became HC is just stupid man

9. HackettSuxTNG

I think you may have mixed up responses here.

10. HackettSuxTNG

You know what I find interesting? Every article you have used as evidence here seems to state that the conflict of the offense strategy was an issue between Nathaniel Hackett and Russel Wilson? How come Justin Outten is never mentioned? In fact, if as head coach, Hackett has no responsibility whatsoever in the offensive strategy as you claim, why is Justin Outten still the offensive coordinator of the Denver Broncos?

11. HackettSuxTNG

It's funny you should post this. I was just thinking that your debating style reminds me of a former member of this forum that I used to clash with frequently.

12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Regardless of what offense he was running….his, Wilson’s, or some combo of both….isn’t it an issue that Hackett couldn’t adapt to the talent he had? Clearly Russell was a very good QB prior…

I mean, I’ve been reading plenty of posts dinging MLF for not adapting his system to the players he had, and it kinda looks like that’s what happened to Hackett in Denver. I would want to know why as HC he couldn’t either run his offense (yes I get they traded a ton for Wilson d gave him a huge contract which explains most of this), but if so…if ownership said fuck your system run whatever Wilson wants, then my next question is why Hackett couldn’t find an offense that would work.

it’s a legitimate question.

and look, I get that being a head coach is different than being a coordinator, and plenty of good coordinators have been crappy head coaches (Norv Turner comes to mind)…so I’m not going to say Hackett will fail as our OC because he failed as the Denver HC, but to me it’s not something to ignore either.

It taints him, which is why he couldn’t get another HC gig and was a prime candidate to take a step back down to OC and rehabilitate his image … realistically this was the kind of candidate we were going to be able to attract with our situation. Either that or another newbie taking his first shot at the OC gig.

is it the worst possible hire? I don’t think so, not really…he’s had some success before, albeit with Rodgers but then again also with Bortles for one year. And experience counts and should help.

but I’m also not enamored with the hire…I think there are plenty of concerns…he failed with Wilson whatever the circumstance….I mean, it’s not often an HC gets fired midway through his first season…so it’s an issue. We can also nitpick his successes too…well he didn’t actually call plays in GB, or he had a HOF QB in GB, or two of his three years in Jack sucked…etc

but that’s probably true of most coaches….

so for me, I’m not super elated with the hire…I think it’s meh…I think maybe he’ll be fine but maybe he’ll stink…can’t really call it yet. So we‘ll see…

Borat likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

Dude, what? I never claimed that. In fact I specifically pointed out where Hackett was at fault. As the head coach he should have made the call to go with what HE wanted to go with. At the same time, regardless of the fact that you need notarized proof on Broncos letterhead, there's no way he was going to have the support of the organization by going directly against the $200 million QBs demands.

If you're referencing NCJets, he never provided quotes from multiple people that directly supported his opinion.

14. HackettSuxTNG

That is not who I am referring to. Longtime posters to this site surely do.

15. BroadwayAaron

Did you attempt to read anything I posted where multiple people including the GM, head coach and players said they were not running the offense Hackett has run his whole career?

16. BroadwayAaron

I've been here since Santana Moss days and I dont remember too many idiots using quotes as proof. If you had an issue with someone that did that, maybe they weren't the problem.

17. BrowningNagle

He was a disaster in Denver. You gotta be terrible at your job to get fired midseason in your 1st year.

They tried to help him too, they hired a clock management guy after he made multiple gaffes in the first couple weeks

18. HackettSuxTNG

I assure you that was not the case. Not in this instance, at least.

19. davecrazy

davecrazy Active Member

His dad sucked. He'll suck.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

can’t believe the problems with the QB wanting to run a different offense and not being good at it wasn’t solved by hiring a clock management guy.

ColoradoContrails likes this.