Nathaniel Hackett hired as OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Jan 26, 2023.

1. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Hackett was a much better OC than a head coach. As OC he helped the Bills running game, the Jaguars and led the Packers to the league's best scoring offense alongside a dude named Rodgers.

#21 BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    dmw, Borat, Nyjets4eva and 3 others like this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

A Rodgers deal must be in the works.

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. DCanadian

DCanadian Active Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hackett&#39;s ranks in yards per play and offensive touchdowns per game as an NFL offensive coordinator: <br><br>2013: 29, 25<br>2014: 29, 24<br>2016 (interim OC): 26, 23<br>2017: 11, 9<br>2018: 30, 32<br>GETS AARON RODGERS<br>2019: 17, 11<br>2020: 2, 1<br>2021: 8, 7<a href="https://t.co/VNiunpiv7S">https://t.co/VNiunpiv7S</a></p>&mdash; JJ Zachariason (@LateRoundQB) <a href="">January 26, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

By himself, not my first choice, although I'm not as opposed to him as some here in the role of OC without all the HC responsibilities. But if this enables us to get Rodgers it's a good move.

If Rodgers doesn't come I still think he'll be better than LaFleur, but only time will tell. Fingers crossed.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

There is no way we can judge this move today. If Rodgers comes, homerun. If Rodgers doesn't, we'll be looking for a new front office and coaching staff at this time next year. Simple as that.

6. DCanadian

DCanadian Active Member

Anyone defending this hire is delusional. This man was literally the laughing stock of the league this past season.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If this means Rodgers, then fine. It's still a huge risk, but might as well try something after all these years of failure. But if it doesn't mean Rodgers, then this is Adam Gase all over again, and I won't even bother watching the games next year.

REVISion and BacktoQueens like this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Lots of great coordinators were laughing stocks as head coaches. Not saying that will be the case here but it's pretty foolish to write him off based solely off this.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Of all the names of those we know they interviewed, Hackett was the best candidate, aside from his Rodgers connection, IMO. Well experienced as an NFL OC, a former HC (albeit a failed one by any measure), and not known to be locked into any particular offensive scheme.

But of course this has all the markings of the "1st domino" in the "Aaron Rodgers domino game".

Nyjets4eva, SOJAZ and Jojo like this.
  10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was thinking.
    Good pairing if we got a beat on Rodgers. Otherwise terrible. My lord did he do a bad job this year.

Get me the Damn Ball likes this.
  11. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

12. BacktoQueens

OMG I just realized this is Paul Hackett son !
    The worst OC we’ve ever had.
    I feel woozy. This franchise….

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Actually, the Jets were.....There were as many 'highlights' of Zack Wilson crashing and burning as there were of Russell Wilson. Actually, the Wilson Brothers had that market cornered last season.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  14. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

I would be very disappointed if this hiring meant anything other than the Jets intend to acquire Aaron Rodgers. I can't imagine them hiring Hackett just so they could go after some QB Hackett has never worked with. I'd be willing to bet Joe Douglas has a verbal agreement to trade for Aaron Rodgers. Probably post June 1st but possibly sooner. Rest assured, this is Woody pushing all of his chips to the center of the table and betting the whole enchilada that the Jets acquire Aaron Rodgers and go SB or bust in 2023. There are some extra faces that Aaron Rodgers would require Joe Douglas to sign like that pass catching back from Green Bay I forget his name and maybe two others but I think this move makes it obvious the Jets want Aaron Rodgers as their QB.

SOJAZ likes this.
  15. BacktoQueens

Maybe we can get Gase as QB coach.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  16. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

signals to me that we are clearly all-in on going to get Rodgers. If not, Saleh & JD will be looking for jobs next offseason.

FWIW Hackett didn't call plays with the Packers

JetFanInNE likes this.
  17. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

If this doesn’t lead to Rodgers then this is the Adam Gase hire all over again. Grab the worst possible candidate because he’s a “name”

abyzmul and Jets79 like this.
  18. JetUp55

JetUp55 Member

Allow me to rant. I understand that some teams decide to go "all in" because they're so close and they want that Super Bowl. I get it. But I can't help but get infuriated by some folks believing that hiring this guy is a move to get secure AaRod. Not denying that Rodgers is a surefire HOF but I'm so sick of us mortgaging everything to go all in on a 39 year old QB. We fell apart after a 7-4 start. None of us expected such a massive turnaround. Zach is a bust. Fine. Saleh has developed a defensive scheme that works. We signed some great players that panned out nicely.

We finally have some pieces we can build around (Sauce, Breece Hall, GW, AVT). We're a couple pieces away from a playoff run next season as long as we stick to the program. I don't know what it would take to trade for Rodgers but I just know it'll put us back 5 years and will we really win a championship with him at the helm?

Goddammitt Jets.

Sinjz, IIMeanDeanII and papapump like this.
  19. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

There are plenty of coordinators who just don't make the transition to HC. Todd Bowles great defensive coordinator but, as Head Coach horrendous with both Jets and Bucs. Josh McDaniels great OC with the Pats but, terrible HC with the Broncos and now Raiders.

20. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member