My Take on the Offseason So Far

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, May 20, 2016.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

A smart man doesn't waste time spinning his wheels to not get anywhere. If I'm naive bc I don't believe a GM would lowball top talent then I guess I'm naive... or I'm practical. Second tier talent? Different story. And we should also touch on our definition of low ball. You're example of $6.5? Not happening imo. $9m which was the low end of what was expected; sure.

I honestly believe the Revis signing was more about psychology, team unity and showing fans that he's (Mac) here to win. I have nothing to base that hunch on except the fact that Mac has proven to spend wisely in every other situation.

Walt White likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We're talking $9 million when his cap hit is $13.2 million over each of the first two years of the contract. I exaggerated on the low side. Either way that still puts us pretty damn far away and out of our price range which was my point.

It doesn't hurt anyone to inquire. Just like we did with Vernon. I don't believe there was any chance we offered near the amount of money Osemele commanded. Was Maccagnan not supposed to make the phone call? Of course he was supposed to make the phone call, but that doesn't mean we were ever really in the running.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think I'm that optimistic, though I am basically optimistic by nature.

I'm sure that Mac has made some mistakes by now. After all, he is human, and there is no textbook to explain how to handle every situation. As a fan, I wouldn't have paid Revis all that money to come back, but then I have despised him for his greediness in the past. If I were in Mac's shoes, I might have signed Revis as well considering the horrible secondary the Jets had the year before, the new HC whose D depends upon lockdown press coverage, a mandate to win in a city and with a fanbase short on patience, and wanting to change the culture from Rex's clown show to a winning culture. I would rather have Wilkinson than Revis as well, but I think Wilkinson probably would have been gone anyway even if Revis wasn't here. There's no sense in having three topflight DEs when only 2 can be on the field at the same time. It would eventually tie up too much money in the DL.

With regards to RB, we do have a young RB in Robinson. In addition next year's draft is said to be filled with topnotch RBs. I'm also assuming that Mac spoke with Gailey and Gailey had some preferences for the types of RBs he wanted. I think too much attention is paid to individual moves. IMO the overall job that Mac is doing in building the team, whether he is getting good value in his trades and FA signings and draft picks and how the team is progressing, are ALL much more important than nitpicking individual moves. That said, I didn't understand signing three FA RBs this offseason, but I have to think that Mac thought that was something he could handle more easily through FA and he had other priorities he wanted to address via the draft. When Decker's best position is in the slot, why would we want to bring in a slot receiver who would spend most of his time on the bench?

#23 NCJetsfan, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

No problem.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

+100

I like Mac but couldn't agree with you more here especially bout the running back position. As soon as Draft Time rolls around this team just hits the defensive player button

TNJet likes this.
  7. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Before the draft I was like , please don't get the overrated LB from Ohio St. Bosa got picked and I breathed a sigh of relief. Little did I know there was a plan B just in case. I didn't see that one coming. It's funny how analysts and fans can see how we needed a QB, and Paxton was there for the taking. Yet we blow it again by going defense in the first round. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. We keep going after defense in the first round and what do we have to show for it?

Sometimes the GM outsmarts himself......

8. NYJetsO12

Home is not a crappy post

Yours isn't either but if you don't mind my saying, you are being a bit pedagogical

9. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

1 in 4 for Hack, I disagree, more like 6 in 10 he makes it, you're underestimating his smarts, ability and intangibles

hwismer and RuJFan like this.
  10. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Mac should have been fired if he took Lynch at 20. At least Darron Lee will be able to contribute to a NFL team.

11. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Which RB would you draft at 20 who would be even close to Forte?

12. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

don't forget we won't owe revis or Harris a dime after this season... so if Bruce Carter and Darron Lee evolve into the type of beast in the middle (mainly passing game) that I think they will be.. Harris won't really be needed and will see less playing time as the year progresses (barring injuries). Maybe he's next years Ferguson.. retire take a huge pay cut

Revis may show decline as well and won't have guaranteed money on his plate.. his future will definitely be talked about next offseason.. next year could very well be his last here.

My point is say Wilk balls out this year, there's two old expensive pieces that we can take off our hands and have much more money to offer him. Mac may be thinking this way as well.

LIJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Wtf?

You "breathed a sigh of relief" thinking that there was even a chance Bosa was going to drop outside the top 10 let alone be available at #20?!!

Overrated LINEBACKER?

Just be happy Hackenberg's left knee survived this Bosa mauling of a would be RB blocker:

#33 joe, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
  14. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Like most of us care about "your take". Lol. Jk I like this thread you make some great points.

15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Hope you're right Matt. I think part of Home's point is that even at a .25 chance, the pick in the second round was worth the chance. I much prefer it to Lynch in the 1st round.

Hopefully at least one of the younger Olinemen emerges out of Dozier, Qvale, and Harrison.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  16. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Seriously? Who is our starter again?

westiedog1 likes this.
  17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Really good write up HomeoftheJets.

I agree with King Koopa that the loss of Fitz won't automatically make the Jets season a Dumpster Fire. More difficult for sure, but the team is strong enough in other areas to make a decent showing (in the 6-10 to 8-8 range). Not PO great, but not a DF either.

As far as Mo, no team was willing to part with a 1st for him AND scratch a HUGE check. Heck, Jets aren't even willing to pay him what he wants never mind giving up a pick. I think the best possibility moving forward would be a straight up trade with a team like Dallas. Maybe get a decent center or RT for him. SOMETHING. Dallas didn't improve their defense at all in the draft and this would be a good start, although d-lineman probably isn't the top talent they'd go for given a choice.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  18. NYJetsO12

Ha ha ha you miss the point . Not saying Forte is a bad pickup but will age out. We are not talking about a running back per say but a player to shore up the offense in general. From what I hear Mac tried to trade up for Tunsil (OL) but could not.

Since we are on topic of RB that compares with Forte, I would say the number 3 ranked RB, Devontae Booker was available .(Taken by Denver in the Fourth Round}

19. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

6 in 10???

Top 5 drafted Qbs do not even "make it" 60% of the time. (Jamarcus Russell, Mark Sanchez, Ryan Leaf, Vince Young, Tim Couch, David Carr........)

I think you are highly OVERESTIMATING any QBs ability to "make it".

LIJetsFan likes this.
  20. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Instead we took a cornerback. A position which doesn't really have too much quality depth. We have 3 capable running backs. Forté will get older and retire but you could say that about anyone... Rumor has it there will be running backs in the draft next year. And maybe some in 2018 too.