My NYJ offseason

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by J-Raw24, Mar 6, 2020.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yep that's pretty much what I think. The EDGE prospects after Chase and Chaisson seem to drop off. This is the draft where I think the Jets should be getting at the very least a LT, C, 2 WRs, perhaps a RB late and most likely a CB ( pretty high ).

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I wouldn't mind taking an edge rusher this year in the middle rounds and grabbing one early in next year's draft. We need to add multiple pass rushers even if Jenkins is retained.

3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yes but there are so many holes...maybe it's best to concentrate on the draft rich positions. There is no excuse to not have a draft infusion of multiple OL and WR at the very least.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm assuming(dangerous I know) that those positions will get addressed. But, I can see a draft order of OL, OL, WR, Edge or WR, OL, OL, Edge with our first 4 picks. I'm not banking on landing that stud edge guy we've lacked since trading Abraham, but more average edge rushers would be an improvement over what we have now.

5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

If Avery Williamson is a good player why don't we keep him? We need good players too.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  6. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

We could argue this until we are blue in the face. It is pointless.

Keeping Williamson has its perks. I just feel that the 6mil we save could go towards other positions. Not necessarily top free agents.

It isn't worth getting worked up over. I'd be fine with keeping Avery, but from a team building perspective it seems to make little sense.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He's a luxury, and we have a lot of holes and need the cap space.

8. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Also if we trade him instead of cut him we get more cap space. His salary this year is 8.5 million I believe. We can sign a good guard for 8.5 million. Maybe Glasgow l, who can play center or either guard spot. Last year he gave up 0 sacks at rg, year before 1 sack as center, the 2 years before that he played LG and center. We have kids who can step in for Williamson and have basically no drop off. They played all year last year at a high level. Give up a luxury for a severe need.

9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

His salary is $6.5 million. His cap hit is $8.5 million, the extra $2 million comes from his prorated signing bonus. We don’t get to trade that, so we get $6.5 million off the cap whether we trade him or cut him. Trade just means we get draft compensation in return.

boozer32 and J-Raw24 like this.
  10. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

The only time you get more in a trade versus a cut is when a player’s salary is partially guaranteed. That guarantee is fulfilled by the team that trades for him.

For example, Avery Williams has a $6.5 million base salary, none of which is guaranteed in 2020, and a prorated bonus of $2 million.

If say his base salary was $6.5 million with $2 million of that guaranteed, along with his $2 million prorated bonus, cutting him would only save the non-guaranteed salary of $4.5 million. Trading him however would save $6.5 million because the trade team would take on that full base salary.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  11. J-Raw24

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't look into hit salary number. I just knew it was an 8.5 hit. Still think trading him is the best option.

12. boozer32

Well, the jets need some luxury and there is no telling the savings you get will parlay into a decent player let alone a good player. Remember this is the Jets were talking about. They have been horrible in free agency and drafting. Why delete a known for an unknown. If Douglas has a daunting job and he does why give him more problems. Let him deal with the absolute known holes on the team OL, CB, Backup QB, WR, free agency and the draft.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Because we have a lot of holes. We have depth at ILB and it is a less important position than some of the others where we have glaring holes. Douglas hasn't been here, and what Mac and the others did in FA and the draft doesn't have any bearing on what Douglas will do. We are in no position to have "luxury" yet.

14. J-Raw24

Also moving on fr ou m Williamson give the young kids a chance to progress. Last year they do well. I'd you can step up even more it's better. If Cashman becomes what he showed glimpses of last year we will be set ad the position for a few years.

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. boozer32

Cashman is a little light for that position. I like his quickness but he will just be mashed up inside.

16. J-Raw24

He looked good until he got hurt. I think that's my worry as well. He's undersized and maybe prone to getting hurt because of it. But only time will tell. We have to at least try it and see if he can do it. Keeping Williamson keeps us from giving time to all the mlb that played well for us last year. I think one of them will step up especially with mosley helping them.

17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Uh-oh. We're going to see more posts from Champ now they've shut his local Olive Garden down as a COVID precaution.