My feeble attempt at a mock draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by rockyusmc2003, Feb 7, 2015.

1. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

This is just for fun, and the first time I have ever really tried to guess where guys would end up. I've attempted to address the team's deficiencies as best as I could.

Round 1 - Marcus Mariota QB - I have a feeling he will slip past the Titans and tumble right to the Jets. I do believe the kid has awesome potential, but he also leaves some things to be desired. Personally, I'd like a pure drop back guy. However, I'm figuring that the perfect storm of change in this organization will lead them to plucking Mariota at #6. The Jets could potentially be years away from getting another bottom feeder selection, so I believe they have to take the chance. Sometimes when there is no risk, there is no reward. PS- I don't want him to start year 1.

Round 2 - Tevin Coleman RB - I hope CJ is gone. I love Ivory's running style, but I just can't find it deep inside of me to trust him for 16 games. Powell is a nice complimentary back, be he will never be "the guy". Tevin Coleman can be "the guy"! Coleman has good size and speed for a RB, he reminds me of Darren McFadden but I honestly believe he will be better (and more durable). Coleman was the lone bright spot on a dismal Indiana team, and he still was able to light it up against some really good teams (ex, 228 yards against Ohio State, and 139 against Missouri). Coleman has home run potential, and he is also a good receiving option out of the backfield.

Round 3 - Ifo Ekpre-Olomu CB - This guy should have been a first rounder, but the injury to his knee will effect his draft position. Furthermore, his height could also knock him into the 3rd round. I say if he's there, he has to be taken. Even if he had to be on the PUP for his rookie season, it could be well worth it. The guy might be small, but he sticks his nose into plays, and he's good at man to man. IF Milliner and McDougle can turn out to be anything (include Williams in that conversation), Ifo could be a very good Nickel guy that could be an upgrade over Kyle Wilson who should be gone.

Round 4 - Tyler Sambrailo OT - I don't necessarily think Harvin should be cut, as I stated on this board, I think he can do well with Chan. However, I think the cap number might be too high for the FO to ignore. If that happens, I think it's time for the Jets to sign a potential replacement for Ferguson. This pick might be way off, and Sambrailo might be long gone. I've read him going anywhere from round 1 to round 4. The reason I tabbed him was because he has been lauded for his athleticism and footwork. If Mariota is indeed the guy for the future, this is the type of tackle that will be optimal for his type of play. I have read that his strength needs work, and that is why I have him falling to round 4. Worst case, he can also replace Giacomini on the right side, which needs to happen anyways in my opinion.

Round 5 - Tyler Lockett WR - This is another guy I have going anywhere between rounds 4-5. I loved his production at Kansas State, and he comes from a very athletic family. The depth of WR in the draft could push Lockett into round 5, which would be great for the Jets. I'm optimistic that even with Harvin possibly getting cut, they will either resign him or grab a front line FA like Cobb. Lockett can also be used as a PR, and possibly a KR which is a plus.

Round 6 - None - Harvin Trade

Round 7 - Lynden Trail OLB
    - It's really hard to figure out where to go in round 7, so I'd personally take my chances on a developmental guy that has potential or could be used on ST. Trail had some off field issues (assault I believe), but he has good measurables and he could be a diamond in the rough if the stars aligned. Trail is 6'7 so he has some great size for an edge guy. He won the Buck Buchanan award 2 times for most outstanding defensive player in the FCS. He gave some looks at TE at the senior bowl, and he was a high school WR, so the guy has some good athleticism.

Ok, that was my first attempt at a mock draft for the Jets 2015 draft. I wanted to address ILB, but I ultimately felt that the guys I wanted would be gone and felt that upgrading the offense would be the best way to go since the offense has been so dismal for years now. I also feel that Mariota is no lock at 6, so if he isn't there the Jets could grab White or Cooper.

Update if Mariota is gone at 6 - (Highlights in message below, I hit the max media inserts)

So my Mariota being gone at 6 mock, my 1st, 4th, and 5th round picks will change.

Round 1 - Kevin White WR - After watching a lot of tape on White and Cooper, I really like White better. His route running might not be as crisp as Cooper right now, but the ceiling is higher and I think his hands are better. I also like how he uses his power to cut through press coverage, and his ability to make difficult catches is off the charts.

Round 4 - Bryce Petty QB
    - I like the kids confidence a lot, and he's really good when he gets into a rhythm when he is throwing. He needs work, and he certainly shouldn't start his first year. So perhaps selecting a more "developmental" QB could be a blessing in disguise. Problem with selecting a guy earlier is the enhanced pressure to play him sooner than later, and with the weak FA QB class, a late QB could be worth a shot. Petty needs work on his reads, and also needs work on his touch passes (as seen at the Senior bowl). The throwing talent is there, he has made some picture perfect passes, but he needs to do it more consistently for sure.

Round 5 -Taiwan Jones ILB - I may stick with Lockett here, but he is more of a luxury selection with White on board. However, because the Jets don't need to splurge for a FA WR, they could use the money on 2 OL, which would make the Lockett selection fine. Harris might be gone, so filling the ILB spot could be the way to go. Jones is a hitter, and his size is phenomenal for the position. He's pretty slow in coverage, but then again, so was Harris. If nothing else, he could find his way on ST while he learns.

#1 rockyusmc2003, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  2. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Personally I'm not a fan of picking a RB in the 2nd round, if anything I'd rather pick a WR in the 2nd and a RB in the 5th instead of the other way around.

I'm torn on Mariotta in a few ways. 1) I'm not sure he'll be there at our spot and 2) if he is there I'm not sure I would want to draft him. But if he is there I wouldn't be surprised if we did draft him and maybe it could be the best thing to happen to the franchise in a long time...or maybe two or three years later we'll be drafting another QB in the top 2 rounds because he's not the guy.

3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Hard to really get a full impression since we don't know what the rest of the team will look like, but this seems like a solid draft to me

4. rockyusmc2003

It could go that way with a WR in round 2. I weighed it differently because I'm figuring a proven FA WR will be signed, or Harvin resigned. So in that event, I found Coleman more valuable than the other RBs.

I share your concern on Mariota, but like I said....no risk, no reward. They gotta try.

5. rockyusmc2003

Thanks man. I'll revise after any FA signings.

6. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

I would be livid if we took an RB in the second. Absolutely livid.

Personally, I'm not a huge MM fan, but I understand the pick and I think I'd eventually get behind it if that's the name called on draft day.

Not a huge fan of round 3 either. Don't think we need an additional injury prone CB to go along with Milliner and McDougle. If we sign a veteran like Cro, maybe I could get behind it. If we're taking an injury risk in round 3, I'd rather it be Ogbuehi.

7. rockyusmc2003

heh would you be livid when Coleman is breaking off 60 yard tds? I won't, so that's my reasoning.

I think they sign a FA, they have too. If they do, hes a hard guy to pass on (talking CBs. Sorry on phone)

#7 rockyusmc2003, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I get people being hesitant about Mariota but think about what you posted for a second. He's either going to work out or he won't. If he doesn't we're right back in this same scenario again in 3-4 years. Then we'll try again with whatever QB is high on draft boards that year. Rinse and repeat. I think to be a successful NFL team, and by successful I mean winning consistently every single year, you have to have a good/great QB. The Jets have to pick potential franchise QB's when presented with the opportunity. If they don't work out, sure it'll kind of suck, but then we'll probably be back in a spot to draft another one in a couple years.

This franchise has been without a franchise QB for way too long. We need to fix that. Immediately.

NCJetsfan and joe like this.
  9. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with anything you wrote. It's a weird scenario. If he's there and we pick him and he turns out that's great, if he's not and we overlook a perennial pro-bowler and we're still looking for a QB a few years from now then it sucks. But, ultimately, the risk vs reward probably makes it worthwhile.

10. rockyusmc2003

I agree with you guys. Although I'm lukewarm on Mariota, I believe you have to take the chance on the guy. The only way you pass is if the FO thinks Geno is the guy, and I doubt that is the case. With the new brain trust in place, I feel like it's almost a guarantee this crew needs to have a QB of their own.

If they pass on a QB at 6 (when they have the option to grab one), I will be very surprised only because the drop off in QB talent this year seems to be very steep. If they don't get an opportunity at all at 6 to select a QB, the landscape of my mock will change. I have Coleman rated higher than Hundley, but I wasn't impressed with Grayson in his bowl game or the Senior Bowl to grab him in the 3rd. Although Petty has some inconsistencies, I do like the kids moxy, and would take a chance on him with the 4th round pick.

So my Mariota being gone at 6 mock, my 1st, 4th, and 5th round picks will change.

Round 1 - Kevin White WR - After watching a lot of tape on White and Cooper, I really like White better. His route running might not be as crisp as Cooper right now, but the ceiling is higher and I think his hands are better. I also like how he uses his power to cut through press coverage, and his ability to make difficult catches is off the charts.

Round 4 - Bryce Petty QB
    - I like the kids confidence a lot, and he's really good when he gets into a rhythm when he is throwing. He needs work, and he certainly shouldn't start his first year. So perhaps selecting a more "developmental" QB could be a blessing in disguise. Problem with selecting a guy earlier is the enhanced pressure to play him sooner than later, and with the weak FA QB class, a late QB could be worth a shot. Petty needs work on his reads, and also needs work on his touch passes (as seen at the Senior bowl). The throwing talent is there, he has made some picture perfect passes, but he needs to do it more consistently for sure.

Round 5 -Taiwan Jones ILB -
    I may stick with Lockett here, but he is more of a luxury selection with White on board. However, because the Jets don't need to splurge for a FA WR, they could use the money on 2 OL, which would make the Lockett selection fine. Harris might be gone, so filling the ILB spot could be the way to go. Jones is a hitter, and his size is phenomenal for the position. He's pretty slow in coverage, but then again, so was Harris. If nothing else, he could find his way on ST while he learns.

#10 rockyusmc2003, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  11. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Not really too concerned about the ACL injury if we draft Ekpe-Olomu, he'll still be a starter for a long time for us..Would be amazing to get him in the 3rd, something that never would've happened pre-injury.
    I'm all for taking Mariota 6th overall unless we get the RG3 package from the Eagles with Foles included..my only thing is it's nice to get mocked him but like I've said previously I think he's 100% gone unless we trade up, which we might not have the chance to if he goes top 2.
    If we draft Coleman I think he'd be the lead back before seasons end..Definitely worth a late round fantasy draft pick and he might turn into the elite back many successful teams have.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  12. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

I agree with White over Cooper. I still have to watch more tape, but I've been leaning towards that way for months ; as for your second mock draft I don't see Lockett falling to the 5th round. IMO he's a third round talent and I expect him to be picked there. I'd rather see us take a raw OLB or developmental tackle in round five.. I'm also not a fan of Bryce Petty, he honestly reminds me of Geno Smith with a worse arm. I just don't think this is the year to take a "developmental" Quarterback, IMO we're better off taking one next year..

13. rockyusmc2003

Not a fan of Trail in the 7th for a raw OLB?

I can get behind another OL, Dozier might get some action this year too, but you can never have too many OL. There are just too many late round OL that I haven't seen play to make a call on who to grab in the 5th. Sambrailio I've seen, but he'll be gone in round 5 (possibly even round 4, I think I may have him falling too low).

As for Petty, I wasn't a fan until I rewatched his stuff from 2014. In my opinion, he does some really good things when he gets in the groove. The ability is there, but the consistency isn't. I don't see Geno in him, considering that Petty demonstrates leadership on the field and sideline. I'm a big fan of players that have a fire and a drive to make something happen. Geno looks like he's lost in the woods most of the time, if I can see that on TV, his team can definitely see it. If I had to compare him with Geno coming out, it would be their lack of experience with pre-snap reads. Bryce doesn't have a weak arm, and he can make all the throws.

The QB roster consists of Geno and Simms, so I'd say they need to draft someone to develop. The FA QB class is loaded with older career backups, so it's a good idea to snatch one of these guys up to keep around.

BigSnacks54 likes this.
  14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

just my 2 cents:

1. Marcus Mariota (QB): Good call -gotta go with this one. Mariotta's "system" concerns aside, until they hit on a QB, they're a middling team at best and this kid's physical and mental makeup warrants the pick.

2. Tevan Coleman (RB): RB in the 2nd? No thank you.

3. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (CB): Again, no thanks. Besides the injury, the Oregon-Washington State game scared me off this guy considering how he and the rest of the Ducks CBs got physically dominated by Washington State's WRs. I can only think of how the NFL "6'2 crowd" would push him around as well.

4. Ty Sambrilio (OT): Doubt he lasts until this pick. That said, not crazy about his Pugsley Addams build and performance in both his post season games. Not a road grader.

5. Tyler Lockett WR - If he's still available in the 5th, I'd love this pick.

legler82 and CleveSteve like this.
  15. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Exactly, the risk/reward is too great to pass up on someone that you could potentially see as your franchise QB.

Honestly, the risk isn't even that great IMO. We've had All-Pro/Pro-bowl OL, DL, DB's, LB's, RB's, and WR's since our last title, but very few QB's and even the one's that made the Pro-Bowl only did so for a year or two. Since Namath we've only had 4 QB's make the pro bowl, O'Brien in 85 & 91, Boomer in 93, Vinny in 98, and Favre in 08, and none of these guys made First Team All-Pro that year.

I think that proves that you have to find your franchise QB to be successful, we've had plenty of other players be All-Pro/Pro Bowl selections but without that QB, it didn't amount to much.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  16. rockyusmc2003

Thanks for the feedback. I can see both sides with it comes to Ekpre-Olomu. However, it's a 3rd round CB, so you're not going to get a perfect product, and in my opinion he is the closest to that in the 3rd.

Don't understand the flack RBs are taking lately, especially when they are being taken in the 2nd round. The Jets will still probably have a pretty defense oriented team, CJ will most likely get cut, and as much as I love Ivory....he just isn't an every down back (nor can he be relied on for 16 games).

Most were salivating last year at the though of CJ2K coming back to form, Ivory running down defenses, and CJ2K taking off for 50. Obviously, the Jets missed the boat and the CJ they signed wasn't the one that eclipsed 2K yards. Take that same excitement, and replace CJ with Coleman, and it's possible to have a unique duo in the backfield. Coleman is a serious threat to go the distance anytime he touches the ball, and unlike Ivory he can catch out of the backfield.

17. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Good work. I wouldn't be surprised if every RB was still on the board for our round 2 pick though. They can hype up Gordon, Johnson, and Gurley all they want but no RB's have been taken 1st round the past 2 years.

18. rockyusmc2003

I tend to agree with that. I could possibly see Gordon and Gurley going towards the end of round 1, but it's possible they slide. If they are all available at the Jets pick, I think I may still stick with Coleman.

19. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

It seems that's been the trend it recent years. In a class so deep at RB, that could mean some outstanding values on Day 3

20. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

I'll take your 1st attempt... I think it's solid... as well as taking the BPA It also solidifies a need... Good Job :)