Must-Read Cimini Piece On Trevor: Power Play Coming ?

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 16, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Then you should be banned from this forum. Lawrence going to Jacksonville would probably be the worst possible thing that could happen to the Jets.
    I disagree. Completely. It doesn't matter who the owner(s) is/are. What matters is who the HC is, who the GM is, and are they competent. Now if the Johnsons hire the new HC rather than Douglas, then Lawrence would have room to be concerned. The owners don't draft or build the roster and they don't coach the team.

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I,m cautioning yall to prepare for another Peyton M siituation with Trevow Before replying ask yourself would U would want to go to such a shit team as the NYJs ?:mad:

3. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

It absolutely matters who the owners are. The fish rots from the head.

4. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Tell us what great team Trevor Lawrence has the option of going to ?

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Magnified only by a scenario in which the Jets trade him to Jacksonville.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. championjets69

It has to B a mighty big fish since the stinkness has been going on since 1969 season began :mad:

7. championjets69

Well Manning chose the Colts right? He went to school for his final year then force the NYGs to trade him to the Colts zCould B the same scenerio for Trevor :mad:

8. JetsKickAss

You need to drink a stronger brand of morning coffee :D....Manning didn't CHOOSE anybody...he went back to school because he wanted to....he wasn't coming out even if Parcells told him the Jets would take him at #1. And he wasn't thrilled about going to the Colts...they hadn't made the playoffs since 1981 and Bert Jones.

The NY Giants didn't trade Peyton Manning, they had ELI Manning traded to them.

Like I said, ditch the de-caff. :D

9. JetsKickAss

You forgot MAYBE 1998 and Parcells, even Larry David mentioned that: :D

ouchy likes this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Your right, I can't think of anything worse happening to the Jets then Lawrence going to Jacksonville for numerous high picks. What worse, we could end up having to trade Fields for even more picks. (GASP)

Where would the Jets be then?

Oh the horror.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, I'm all on board the Trevor Train at this point. When you have a chance to draft a consensus generational talent like he is, you should take it. And it's not like they have to put together a king's ransom to trade up to get him. If they "earn" the 1st pick, they should cash it in.

That said, let's say that they've determined that they like someone other than Lawrence or Fields, they could swap with the Jags in return for a king's ransom. And then they could swap out of the #2 pick for another king's ransom. They could then conceivably get the guy they wanted all along, AND a huge windfall of premium picks that could immediately transform the team. I think Douglas is certainly not ruling this option out.

HomeoftheJets, JetsKickAss and ouchy like this.
  12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Trevor is going to play for the Jets or the Jags, there aren’t very many options for him at this point.

If I was in his shoes I’d want the Jets no question. Trevor though likely doesn’t give a flying fuck which team it is.

All us Jets fans should be hoping we take care of business these next 3 games and ensure it’s the Jets.

JetsKickAss and REVISion like this.
  13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

It will come down to draft week and seeing the final draft order. I'm not sure Fields would bring a kings ransom, but he would bring some quality picks. Ultimately the plan would go way beyond the trading of picks one and two. What we get for those pick and the players we have to potentially trade would factor in greatly.

I consider a high round pick anything up to 50 (so first and half the second round). There are scenarios where we could have as many as 10-12 picks in the top 50, in addition to boosting next years draft.

Would you give that up for a QB? We wont have a chance to build our team like this again. If needed we will have plenty of time and resources to get our FQB the following year - after we use the once in a lifetime chance to build a dynasty.

If it doesn't line up we take Lawrence. But we must keep our options open. It is easier to draft a quality QB then it is to land the potential team changing windfall we might encounter. Everyone should be hoping that all the draft ready QBs do great in the playoffs. It can only help us.

#73 ouchy, Dec 17, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    JetsKickAss likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I mostly agree with you, except the "It is easier to draft a quality QB then it is to land the potential team changing windfall we might encounter." It's hard, even if you're talking a mere "quality QB" and not a generational QB. And even if you were successful in building a great supporting cast, but you only had an above average QB, all it takes is one key injury to one of your starters who isn't even the QB to torpedo your chances for a SB. Conversely, a great QB can cover up even a few key holes and win you SB. Brady has clearly proven this true.

So it's a gamble no matter which route you take. The thing is that the teams that are consistently in the hunt have great QBs. For this reason, I still favor going after Lawrence if they have the chance. But I don't think it's 'dumb' to take the other route, it's just not what I prefer.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm way more concerned about beating the Patriots in week 17 than I am about Lawrence avoiding us somehow. The Jags are pretty objectively a worse team to go to than the Jets imo. Smaller market, may move to London etc.

Jets79 and JetsKickAss like this.
  16. JetsKickAss

By no means am I saying it's 100% done on Trevor. But I'd say it's 99.9% certain.

The Jets should certainly do their DD on Trevor and Fields and then decide. But if they somehow (?????) came to the conclusion that Trevor and/or Justin were NOT worthy of the #1 overall pick (assuming we lose out), then certainly trade the pick for a Herschel-sized jackpot.

And maybe ask yourselves...why is team so-and-so giving us all these picks for a player WE thought couldn't help us ? :D

17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The franchise QB is the once in a lifetime opportunity, not the pieces around him.

There's also no guarantee we'd even hit on most/all of the picks we'd get for trading out of #1. It's extremely rare to have the #1 pick. It's even rarer to have it in a year where a prospect like Lawrence is coming out.

Weren't you making the case we should stick with Sam like a week ago?

Jets79, JetsKickAss and HomeoftheJets like this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I understand your point but I think there are some misconceptions.

There are 32 teams in the league. Getting 10 of the top 50 picks is unheard of. Drafting quality QBs happens nearly every year. If things line up right what we could get out of this draft would be far more rare then drafting a top QB. Plus it would leave us with the draft capital next season to get anyone we wanted, and still have some high round picks.

Thus idea that a great QB means great team and covers all the faults is a myth. Or maybe just a unicorn. Most great QBs are great because they play on great teams with great protection. Russell Wilson is the unicorn here. Deshawn Watson, Joe Barrow, etc show it takes more then agreat QB to go places.

Teams that are consistently great have great offensive lines more then great QBs. That will be the one thing nearly every playoff team will have each season. Not a good offensive line. Not aa serviceable offensive line. A great offensive line. Great offensive line = great offense and its very hard to screw that up. (I get that if anyone could screw that up it is us though.)

19. Shea Jet

Shea Jet Member

This could be the MOST WRONG Post in the History of Mesaage Boards. LOL

JetsKickAss likes this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This isn't 1990, in today's NFL, you could have the greatest draft ever, and you'll still have to start over a few years later. Look at Seattle, their draft class is virtually all gone, but they're still winning because they got their QB.