Multiple teams have called about Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't say that it was the last draft class in history in which good QBs are going to come out. Saying they'll get a QB next year is stupid. It's not that easy, and not just any QB will do. I swear some of you guys post like you know nothing about Jets history, draft history, or how hard it is to get a FQB.

2. NCJetsfan

You using flawed logic. Even if Sam could play well under Shanahan next season, it doesn't mean that the same would happen here. Shanahan's more than likely a better coach than LaFleur, and Sam would have a change of scenery which he probably needs.

Yes, it's derived from the Shanahan offense, but there are still differences. Look at GB's offense and how many deep shots they take. Do you honestly see Sam doing that and being successful? I sure as hell don't.

3. zace

zace Well-Known Member

It's like people aren't getting it. He can't read defenses, so the offense doesn't matter.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

your argument seems to based on the idea that there won’t be a good QB available next year so they have to draft the QB this year, lest it’s a fireable offense. Why is the QB this year more likely to be the right QB than next year?

5. NCJetsfan

I agree, but will say in their favor, that Shanahan's offense supposedly makes reading Ds easier for the QB, and he doesn't have to see the whole field. Of course that's assuming that Sam can still make the right decision and hit the open receivers, know when to throw the ball away, and be able to hit receivers on deep passes. If Shanahan can fix all that in one year, then he deserves automatic election to the HOF and to be named coach for life of SF.

zace likes this.
  6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

No one is saying it is. What we're saying is that all signs point to this QB class being stronger than the one next year. It's also unlikely we'll pick as high in the draft next year. Come on man.

hobgoblin likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

So you're completely ruling out the possibility of Sam playing well in a Shanahan offense (which yes we are running) just because it would be here instead of somewhere else? Again, I feel the need to say this every day here, but I'm not saying we should or will keep Sam. I'm saying it's not outlandish at all to think that a coaching staff could look at him, look at what he's dealt with and think that there's potential to be unlocked. Considering other teams are inquiring about him and we aren't ready to jump into the fire yet, I'd say that makes it even more not outlandish.

Also this is directly from Saleh so I think we can put the questions about what offense we're going to run to bed:

"Mike LaFleur has been with [49ers Head Coach] Kyle [Shanahan] for, I think, eight years now of professional football and nobody in the world knows it better than he does," Saleh said, referring to San Fran's style of the West Coast offense. "So to be able to have him and to get John Benton along with us as run-game coordinator, I'm really excited about them being able to install the system and implement the vision that we all we all want to see. A lot of pre-snap movement, a lot of help for the quarterback, run mirroring with pass."

True. At some point NFL front offices are going to realize the guy they need to be listening to is zace from the Jets fan website.

8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm sure they said that when they decided to draft Jamal Adams.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

REVISion and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Because there are 4 very good QBs at the top of this draft and the Jets have the opportunity to take one of them. Next year, there likely will only be 1-2 QBs that are rated that highly, if that many: UNC's Sam Howell and Oklahoma's Spencer Rattler. The rest of the likely QB class is underwhelming. If one or both are likely top 10 or top 5 picks, the Jets should have zero chance of getting them unless JD totally screws the pooch on both FA and the draft this year. I don't think there will even be a chance to trade up for one of them, so if the Jets get a QB in that draft, it will be a 2nd or 3rd tier prospect, who in all likelihood will have little realistic chance of developing into a FQB.

REVISion likes this.
  10. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I actually spoke with JD before. If you payed as much attention you'd know this. That's how i know he is big on the oline and isn't into making big splash trades..... nice guy really, use to live about 30 miles from me. Had this conversation with him. He def agreed about the line hence i wasn't surprised about the oline pick and knew it was coming. Actually had this conversion with Damien woody too. Also a cool guy.

But your corny ass def isn't as smart as you think, both actually seemed to respect my knowledge of the game. Both actually commented on it to me also.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

11. NCJetsfan

I agree that there's potential to be unlocked. I just don't believe that we have the CS to unlock it, and with all the negative history here, even if we did, I don't believe that Sam's potential could be unlocked here. With Sam's history here, most Jets fans want to move on. The pressure on Sam to play well and win would be immense. Can he stay healthy? Can he learn the offense well enough to be truly effective? Is he even working on fixing his footwork to give himself a chance? Does he even have the football IQ and right mindset to learn from his mistakes and then just let go of the past 3 years? His confidence is so shaken, I just don't see it. I think he's going to have to be rebuilt, maybe from the ground up.

That quote is funny, if real. I say "if real," because Saleh should know better. Shanahan's offense is NOT the WCO. Shanahan went postal on a local reporter last year or 2019 who made a statement with regards to Shanahan and how nice it was that he was bringing the WCO back and returning the Noners to their roots of the Walsh years.

12. JetBlue

And they would be correct. Since taking Adams, and passing on Watson and Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Justin Burrow and Justin Herbert have been drafted. Or were you not aware those QB’s?

passing on Watson and Mahomes was bad because we absolutely needed a QB; all we had were journeyman retreads. If the Jets believe there is still a chance for Darnold to succeed, passing on a QB to develop Darnold isn’t anywhere near the same situation in passing on a QB.

The Waterboy likes this.
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

What if Joe Douglas' plan is to just build a great roster for the next 3 seasons, and then sign Tom Brady at age 47 and win a couple Super Bowls? Seems simple enough. No need to draft a QB. Can't believe we didn't see it coming!

14. JetBlue

Remind me, where in the draft the best QB’s in the league were taken? Sorry, I’m not concerned about pre-draft ratings; Darnold was rated pretty high. History kind of shows those rankings don’t equate to overwhelmingly more success, it’s simply something to talk about.

15. NCJetsfan

Who said anything about tanking? Where did that come from? Someone posted a stat a week or so ago that showed that most or maybe all of the SB winning QBs (aside from Brady) over the last 10-15 years were high 1st round draft picks. You can settle for taking a QB in a lower round if you want to, but I'm glad that you aren't the GM. QB is the most important position on the team and has the greatest impact upon a team's success or lack thereof. To have a great chance at getting a FQB, getting to and winning a SB, the QB needs to be taken in the top 10 picks of the draft.

16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He's the worst passer in the league and bottom 3 for his career. McCown was actually better. If this isn't the time to draft a QB then I don't know when the proper time is.

If Darnold was drafted by Miami and posted the same career numbers with them, it would be the universal consensus that he sucked. Shit, Jets fans are saying that Tua sucks after 3/4 of a rookie season and he looks like Rodgers compared to Sam.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

17. JetBlue

The discussion isn’t dependent on whether Sam is good or not, simply not taking a QB this year for the current regime to find out themselves isnt going to prevent the Jets from getting a QB next year. If Sam is as bad as you believe, we will be drafting high enough again next year to get a QB; Drafting a QB one year later isn’t getting anyone fired.

abyzmul likes this.
  18. JetBlue

QB draft rankings not tanking.

and what that list your referring to showed is opposite of your previous assertion — that most SB winning QB’s were drafted outside the top 5, so your concern that there are only two highly rated QB’s next year shouldn’t matter. The more successful QB next year likely will be drafted after the higher rated QB is taken.

J-Raw24 and abyzmul like this.
  19. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

The quote you quoted says nothing about tanking. Just sayin’

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We have the 2nd overall pick in a draft with strong QB prospects and have had the worst starting QB in the NFL the last 3 years. People are absolutely insane if they don't think this is the perfect time to draft a QB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.