Multiple teams have called about Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

According to a source the phone has been ringing at One Jets Drive regarding QB Sam Darnold and the Jets have been listening.

We knew teams would have interest but it’s the first time we can confirm that the Jets have received calls.

We weren’t told how far along talks have gone or if offers were made but the Jets have been listening on all inquiries.

With the note from Albert Breer of the Jets inquiring with the Lions about Matt Stafford and the news of the Jets taking calls on Darnold, it’s safe to say the Jets will be very active in the QB market this offseason.

#1 BudJet, Feb 1, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  2. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

If we get a first for Sam... then turn around and trade it for Watson along with the Jamal picks.... brilliant.

3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

More than brilliant more like Divine Intervention. This should happen soon, before March 17th, as the Jets would want the pick for the Watson deal. Don't think it will drag on till draft day. It's good that multiple teams have called. I don't know who called, but there are A lot of nice landing spots for Sam. Washington, Bears, Colts, Panthers, Broncos & more. Should be a real bidding war for the best compensation for Sam. In JD I trust!

#3 BudJet, Feb 1, 2021
    NCJetsfan, stinkyB and Wut? like this.
  4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

The report that they inquired about Stafford tells it all (if true). You don’t make a call about a 33 year old QB when you supposedly have your “franchise QB” on your team.

They must have had the conversation already about Sam. Douglas was non committal, Saleh was non committal. To me all signs point to a trade and it’s more about when than if.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I really don't think there's any way in hell the Jets are getting a 1st round pick for Sam Darnold. Probably a 3rd. If they get a 2nd rounder for him then Douglas deserves a trophy.

6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I think a late 1st is possible, or two 2nds very possible.

7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

They are going to explore all options including keeping Darnold rostered, and weighing his trade value.
    I wouldn't read much beyond that. Stafford was an obvious upgrade so they inquired.

8. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

The precedent was set with JA, JD said then he will listen to any and all offers. IMHO that is what they are doing, its call due diligence. Nothing more, nothing less. Drawing conclusions beyond that is just speculation and not based on facts.

blackssmagic, Jets79, azhar80 and 3 others like this.
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

There definitely is a way. QB's are important. Who will need a QB and could realistically use Darnold?

-Saints
    -Raiders
    -Broncos
    -Steelers
    -Colts
    -Texans
    -Washington Football Team
    -49ers
    -Bears
    -Vikings (If they trade Cousins)
    -Panthers

The Patriots too but I wouldn't trade him there. So then who can fill those spots? Wilson, Fields, Lance, Jones in the draft, then a bunch of vets who are worse than Sam, in free agency. It's supply and demand. That is why I feel Sam will get a 1st or 2nd at worst.

The Jets themselves are in a great spot, with the #2 overall pick, and plenty of draft picks and cap space, but many other teams are not. They may need to take a gamble on Darnold with a late 1st round pick or early 2nd and I think one of them will. Not to mention the Jets can just hold on to him if no one is willing to give up a valuable pick.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

They called, sure, but what do we really know about the offers? Probably teams looking for bargains and some preliminary talks. I mean we called Detroit too and never offered anything for Stafford, even though we now know all offers that were given were basically one 1st rounder and change. Rams were the only team that offered two late first rounders, and that was in return of ridding them of Goff's contract, so basically like a one 1st rounder and change in a more unique way. We could have had Stafford for less than what we got paid for Adams if we wanted to.

I think the most likely scenario is that Sam is traded during the draft. Once we picked up our QB at #2, and some other QBs, like Trask, Lance, Jones, are off the board, teams that were hoping to land one of them, I feel negotiations will pick up from both sides.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm of the belief (and I have no proof, just a hunch) that any talk about getting Stafford would've been attached to trading back with Detroit or their #7 pick somehow in that package. But I also don't think Douglas would've been willing to mortgage the future to get Stafford.

Jets79 likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with the first part of your post, but if the Jets trade Sam it'll happen well before the draft IMO, unless somehow he doesn't attract a convincing offer which I think is unlikely given the obvious desire of so many teams wanting a QB.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Why? There are about ten other preferable options available by way of trade or free agency. 3-4 teams will have the option take a quarterback in the first round and it'll be one that they wanted.

Stafford just went for a first essentially (and all other offers other than the Rams with the bad Goff contracts were for a first or less as it was reported.

If high draft picked that drastically underperformed their draft position held as high of a value as a lot of you guys think, a lot more teams would cash in on the potential card every third year. There's a reason guys like Mariota and Winston walked and their teams got nothing for them. Both of which (and countless other examples) far outperformed Darnold.

Sorry guys. The "bad situation but a lot of potential - maybe!!!!!" thing doesn't create a lot for value.

And don't forget - teams can just wait a season if they're that desperate for Darnold.

#13 Jonathan_Vilma, Feb 1, 2021
  14. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Who can confirm any of this? Get real. Carolina was in on Stafford and offered a #1 plus. They would be a good partner for the #2.

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

LOL all the anti-Sam people ("Sam's garbage and no one will want him") running around like rats off a sinking ship. Too funny.

azhar80 likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It seems they did offer #8 overall, but we don't really know know the details. Like maybe they wanted to dump someone, like Rams dumped Goff, and Detroit liked Goff + extra first more. We can only get a rough idea of what was in play. And roughly speaking Stafford, who is not terribly old at 32 (like Wilson), and a top 3d starter in NFL, went for a 1st + 3d. This to me seems like a good deal for Rams. However, I doubt we could get anywhere near the same for Sam, who was pretty terrible QB last year, albeit young.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021...rade-details-offers-turned-down-detroit-lions

Slight exaggeration. There were two other offers that exceeded a first round pick. There were six teams that did not place the value of a first round pick (unless you consider a Broncos trade up that).

Leicester Jet and abyzmul like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Do you have any information that suggests a quarterback of Sam's calibre will net a first round pick based solely on the fact that he "could be good one day?"

Speculations supported without precedent or fact. Too funny.

#18 Jonathan_Vilma, Feb 1, 2021
  19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I don't think first rounder is realistic at this point. But Joe D so far impressed with his trades. So who knows, maybe we will get a first rounder from a dumb team. Darnold is done. Good physical tools but mentally something is missing for him to be consistently elite. Serviceable back up at best.

20. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Many teams know Sam was given a hit deal with the Jets. I say keep Sam and surround him with talent or draft Wilson. Watson is NOT a team leader and is NOT worth what he would cost. Plus, they have already said Watson will not be traded. Same was said for Rogers, he is not being traded, but if he was, then that would be the guy to sell the farm for.

Skicats and azhar80 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.