Morning After

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Sep 12, 2022.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Then we need to change the blocking system to fit the players and talent we actually have, not the players/talent they wished they had. This is "shades of Gase" and his "genius" offensive system that no one seemed to fit into and which he never really altered. If Saleh & Co. can't make adjustments based on the players they have, then they're poor coaches and need to go down the road.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  2. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

From my perspective I thought there were a few legitimately promising things in amongst the wreckage. Max Mitchell looked pretty mobile and solid to me especially considering it was his first game and he was a bit of a "project" type player. Presumably he keeps learning and getting better as time goes on I'm pretty pleased with him. Gardner looks like a potential big time player. Garret Wilson as well. He didn't get a ton of chances but he kind of popped off the screen the few times he did.

Maybe Becton and Zach Wilson will unfortunately prove to be poor draft choices. Even yesterday if Wirfs and Kyle Pitts were on the Jets roster instead of those two guys, plus whatever QB solution the Jets had come up with instead (aka somebody better than Flacco) that game very likely would have had a different outcome. But you don't win 'em all in the NFL draft and the plethora of other guys that looked promising. This game didn't make me feel like some of the Jets losses from 3 or 4 years ago made me feel like. It looks to me like there is some legit hope out there instead of watching things like Winters step aside to let whoever he was supposed to be blocking slaughter Darnold, or Tomlinson clanking the critical 3rd down pass to the ground because he's just that shitty of player...

I feel like if the Jets can somehow split the next two games and Zach comes back and plays effectively all may not yet be lost. I'm not exactly ultra confident and sold on Zach Wilson saving the day and being the star QB the Jets desperately need but at least there is a chance.

ouchy likes this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Maybe

4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Fixed it.

Losmeister likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

I bet your son and his teammates weren't paid millions of dollars to perform though.

Sure mistakes will happen, even to the best of teams, but the number of mistakes the Jets consistently make - and this seems independent of who the CS is - is maddening. I'd say the last Jets team that was well coached and didn't beat itself repeatedly was under Parcells. That's horrendous!

6. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

The Jets played much better than I expected. I thought this was going to be a 3-win season. Now I'm thinking more like 5.

7. ColoradoContrails

I agree, I wanted Daboll then too, but was willing to give Saleh a chance because he seemed (still does) like a great motivator. But his ability to see problems and come up with solutions has not impressed me. I'm not ready to call for his head...yet, but he needs to do a much better job.

Jojo and Jets79 like this.
  8. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Oh that was definitely my point. When I turn on an NFL game I expect professionals, not… youth sports level. There is something rotten in this organization that goes beyond any particular coaching staff or QB. And I think we all know what it is.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Man, you summed me up. Trying to get it back!

The Dark Knight likes this.
  10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

This organization is still a disaster, stating the obvious. That being said I liked what I saw out of several rookies including Wilson and Clemons.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Our back-up QB wasn’t able to move the ball against one of the best Ds in the league.

Our D looked good but was unable to contain one of the most dangerous QBs in the league for 4 quarters.

Our rookie RB in his 1st game as a pro didn’t have a pro-bowl performance.

We lost against a perineal playoff team who is 7-1 over its last 8 home openers.

None of these change my outlook on the team.

Noam likes this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

perineal?

joe likes this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Mostly indifference The only thing I'm pissed off about is I got knocked out of my elimination pool by not taking the Ravens to win because I don't like to bet against the Jets unlike 22% of the smarter people in the pool. I put my play on the Titans because they'd be home against the miserable, talent-free Giants, rookie head coach and all.

But the Giants went to Nashville to play the game, not just test out the slogan-of-the-month. They were down 13 - 0 early but came back to tie the game in the third quarter and win it on the back of a ballsy call by a coach who'd rather play for a win than insult fans instead of taking responsibility for his own failure. Okay, maybe I'm a bit pissed, but by next Sunday, I'll just be indifferent again - I'm a Jets fan after all.

Jets79 and typeOnegative13NY like this.
  14. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

This matches what I thought, particularly the bold. But that has been the case for a decade now. Drops, penalties, fumbles, etc always at the worst possible time. The Jets lost 24-9. That scoreline flattered the Ravens, who had only outgained the Jets by 10 yards when they went 21 points ahead. If the Jets had just taken the genuine scoring opportunities they created that scoreline would have been a lot closer 24-20. That would have flattered the Jets and yes, there's no guarantee the Jets get all those opportunities if the game is closer. If Cager doesn't slip maybe there's no interception and the game gets tighter still. No guarantees, it was still a poor throw.

That doesn't mean that the CS should be absolved of criticism, but better execution on key plays and this game is very tight.

15. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not buying this as an excuse. It gets trotted out all the time - the defense got worn down because they were on the field too much.

In the first half the Ravens had possession for 12:55, and in the second quarter it was just 4:25. The Jets had to defend 26 plays.

If they were gassed or worn down by that then heaven help us. These are professional athletes and we have an incredibly deep defensive line. They then had halftime to recover a little.

They gave up two good scoring drives, neither of which was a grind-it-out, 12-play kind of thing. There is no way they were gassed because the offense had given them no support. The Ravens are a good team and they found ways to score.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

since when do the Ravens have one of the best defenses in the league? They were 25th last year

25th out of 32, that’s one of the worst not one of the best

17. BrowningNagle

none of the units played well but the offense and special teams were both atrocious so the defense looks better than they were

in most games giving up a bomb touchdown just once would be back breaking and they did it twice.

but they weren’t even the worst unit by far. That speaks volumes about how the other units played

REVISion and Jets79 like this.
  18. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't buy that they were gassed at all. A lack of concentration at seeing the O fail time after time maybe, that's got to be disheartening when you are doing your job well. Then throw the short field issues in. That's what you are effectively looking at with the D. 2 short fields, one of which resulted in a TD despite good coverage, and 1 miscommunication leading to a busted play. They sure weren't gassed though.

Jets79 likes this.
  19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I love it when people only do half the research.

Last year they had the best Run D and the worst Pass D. Last year Peters and Humphrey (their two top tier CBs) were lost for the year.

Do you even watch football?

20. BrowningNagle

you claimed they had one of the best defenses in the league. You were wrong. I understand it doesn't feel particularly well to be wrong but its not that big of deal