Mornhingweg accepts blame for timeout fiasco

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 74, Sep 14, 2014.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

No, but the Jets deserved a chance to play with a tie score at that point of the game

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I don't blame them for the lost but they did screw up; didn't think that was debatable.

3. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

The Jets got off to a great start against a team that was favorite to win by 8.5 pts. When the Packers caught up it now reads that the Jets blew a lead. How is that? The Packers didn't get to be a bad team because they got off to a poor start. Of course they came back. The Jets looked to get back in it and threw a TD pass which was taken off the board by a rule error. The NFL and their minions will try to cover their asses on this. But by the end of today they will have so many explanations that they will have to admit it. It reads only a head coach or a player on the field can call a time out. Anything else you read is nonsense.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

all we have to do is watch Mike Carey to get a feel for how inept the refs are. the man flip flops on every call.

5. legler82

Dominating us for 3 quarters might be an overstatement. They outplayed us in the 2nd half. I also don't think we were crushing them. I think we played almost perfect football for a half.

6. HackettSuxTNG

Yet they have absolutely no consequences for their actions. As an NFL fan, I have no reason to believe that the league even cares about impartiality.

74 likes this.
  7. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Know what else is a fact? 21-3

8. HackettSuxTNG

Here is another fact:

There was 10 mins left in the SECOND QUARTER. Did you really expect Aaron fucking Rodgers not to score?

9. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Apparently the correct call was made in the end, even though the ref rep changed his mind after being questioned by Greg Gumbal of all people.

deathstar likes this.
  10. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

The Geno play...he was so adamant that it should be a fumble...then he is like OH YEAH " the forward motion is all that matters"...

He looks wierd with no hat.

Jetsfansince95 likes this.
  11. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Maybe it was.. But if you look at the rule, in a situation like that, the ref is going to call the timeout regardless of who calls it on the sideline due to the fact he's not going to turn his back.. Hey, I was/am as pissed off at that bullshit as much as anyone, but I'm sick of these "moral victories." We should be 2-0. I don't give a fuck if it was against Montana, we should have won.

12. legler82

If the bold is true then why have the rule? I think there are enough officials on the field to catch an offsides or false start if one were to occur in the second or 2 it takes for the ref to verify that it is indeed the HC calling the TO.

13. MexicanJet

What pisses me off is why MM would call a timeout there anyway? It was our last timeout. Maybe if Geno didn't burn the 1 right after the half, we would have had 2. Let Geno do his thing, I didn't see why he called a TO anyway, then worst case, it's incomplete and we have 1 TO for their drive and pray to get the ball back... I'm just baffled.

74 likes this.
  14. MexicanJet

Hey, I'm with you, bro. I'm just relaying what Mike Pereira said, and what was said after the game yesterday.. Supposedly they "let it go" in that situation.. Bullshit, I know..

15. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

It there job to know who calling the timeout. You can always turn and see who calling it and if it the HC then u stop the play even if the ball was snap. Yes we should be 2-0 but the refs fucked us out of the chance to win it.

16. legler82

I think it's by product of the pseudo 2 HC system have going. MM has such complete autonomy with regards to the offense that he feels emboldened enough to bypass Rex and call a TO when he sees something he does like on offense. On a normal HC > OC structure the OC would not lack the inclination to run to the HC and have them call the TO.

17. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

The national media is glossing over this thing. As expected. But had this affected the Packers the narrative would be different.

I understand that the ref can't turn around in that situation.

I understand that Sheldon and MM shouldn't have called the timeout.

What I don't understand is how does the timeout get upheld when according to the rules only the head coach can call a timeout on the sidelines?

They literally went against the rules. There is no gray area in this one. I can deal with judgement calls like offsides/false start, or whether the receiver had possession of the ball or was he inbounds/out of bounds.

That timeout play is bothering the shit out of me today.

Big Cat and 74 like this.
  18. MexicanJet

Again, it should have never come down to that. MM and his playcalling and not controlling the clock fucked us out of a chance to win. Our overrated Defense having Aaron Rodgers run train on them, fucked us out of a chance to win....

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Because once you blow the whistle you can't just ignore that. They couldn't say we made a mistake, a timeout can only come from the head coach, and reinstate the play because they blew the whistle. GB would have a legitimate argument that they heard the whistle and let up.

Big Blocker likes this.
  20. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

The drive leading into the half brought back those painful memories of Manning leading the Colts into halftime of the championship game... turned a 17-6 game into 17-13 the rest as yesterday is history