More Hackenberg...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jan 7, 2017.

1. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Makes me happy that Bowles and Mac did not throw Hack out there just to indulge fans' curiosity. I'm sure the kid would have been brutal and nothing positive would have come of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#61 sackexchange, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    hwismer and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I think the stuff coming out on this kid is kind of ridiculous for someone who hasn't even taken an NFL snap. Here's my quick evaluation on him. I've watched some film on him and have seen him in action a number of times as a PA resident.

The accuracy concerns are no myth, but they also aren't squarely on his shoulder. Bringing in James Franklin after his freshman year was probably the worst thing that could've happened to him. Under Bill O'Brien, his footwork wasn't perfect, it was average. But the big thing was that he was stepping into his throws and driving off that back hip. His drops were smooth and the ball typically came out on time. Under Franklin, this changed. A lot of people like to point to the success of McSorley as a slight on Hackenberg, but this should not be the case. McSorley was built and recruited for that offense. He moves well and gets away from pressure easily. Very Manziel-like but probably won't be much of a professional, if he's even drafted. The footwork in the Franklin offense involves awkward foot placement in the shotgun for smooth handoffs on options and quick throws on screens. It forces the QB to throw off his back foot because of the split second more it would take to come back to a square stance, especially behind an oline as piss poor as PSU's has been. This was not a comfortable thing for Hack. He is a much cleaner thrower when he can take his drops, make a read and get the ball out. I'd recommend you guys look at his tape against Illinois and Michigan State from last year. Those were, IMO, the two most impressive games on film. Inaccurate occasionally, but rarely are QB's going to be accurate 100% of the time.

You can see him working through progressions pretty easily, but having to stop a lot of times to account for the intense pass rush. At 6'4 230, he's not much of a creator. He took a lot of sacks because his oline couldn't handle 3-4-5 man rushes. It was rough to watch. That's why he wasn't very successful in that situation. I think a comparable situation could be Mike Glennon's at NC State, though Glennon's system fit his skill set much more.

Hackenberg is not a bad pro prospect. He takes care of the ball, usually makes the right read, and has the arm to make every throw. Where he needs to improve is the footwork. In this sense, that'd literally just getting back to what he used to do. He's done it before. His arm angle is also occasionally inconsistent, but that's not something that can't be worked out with repitition. Also something that other good QB's struggle with as well (i.e. Stafford, Favre).

Idk if Hack will ever be a top tier QB. I certainly wouldn't bet on it, but the tools are there and he does do some things very well. His success is really gonna depend on his offseason work and how the Jets look to develop him. He can be a starter one day. Just needs work and patience. People tend to forget, he's just 21.

3. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

I'm going to continue to hold out hope for both Petty & Hack.

As a Jets fan that's all I've ever had is hope

4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

BOB isn't the Texans GM
    Bob McNair is in win now mode and Hackenberg doesn't reflect that, Osweiler did as he's more seasoned and was thought to fit with what BOB wants to do.
    Rick Smith is the GM

Jim Harbaugh passed on Richard Sherman and multiple other Stanford players
    Pete Carroll passed on Taylor Mays and multiple other USC players
    Greg Schiano passed on every Rutgers player

5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

3rd string QBs get close on zero reps, 4th stringers don't even get them.

People forget that or just don't know.

Boomboom and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Dallas, Cleveland and New England were all rumored to be to locked in on him in the late 2nd, early 3rd round and every mock draft has him mocked there.

#66 Jeti, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    blackssmagic and kevda5n9ne like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Oh, come on. You know very well that if a QB isn't starting from day one and isn't ready to play in the NFL by the time he's 16 he's a bust! ;)

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Isn't Hackenberg 21, perfect NFL QB Build, smart and strong arm? All he has to do is improve mechanics and decision making, plus accuracy. Not saying it will happen, but he has plenty of time to develop.

9. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

So...improve everything. Got it.

The Dark Knight, johnny and Cman68 like this.
  10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Tannechoke went from that prototypical choker to potential franchise QB in Miami.

Adam Gase was the guy behind that change.

[Yes. Kevin Patullo is anything but that.]

11. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Decision making is fine for the most par, mechanics will improve his accuracy.

His biggest thing is keeping his feet moving. His 2nd and 3rd years at PSU he develop cement feet because the offense they run is snap and pass, snap and pass. Limited drop backs, barely anything under center. Its why Hack looked so good outside the pocket because he's transition his power in his throws from his base to his release. Watch his pro day for example. When the feet are moving he's great to watch when they don't he's mediocre.

The offense has to force him to drop back, make his reads and deliver. He already goes through progressions well which is something we haven't seen from Sanchez, Geno or Petty.

I'm excited to see who the new OC and QBC are going to be because they have something in Hack to work with and if they're good coaches then he'll reach his potential.

12. b.reyes16

I mean, I don't really think he needs to "improve" decision making. He takes care of the ball. His interceptions came from inaccuracy moreso than confusion. Footwork. Footwork, footwork, footwork. I actually just recently saw a video of Hack in training camp and the footwork was pretty bad in the video. It was simply avoiding a yoga ball by sidestepping and the setting you're feet to throw a corner route. He was kind of jumping away and throwing Jeter-esque rather than just sidestepping right or left, setting his feet and driving the ball with his hip. Very awkward-looking.

kevda5n9ne and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

5 - 11

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

He may want to learn to speak French; he could be playing in Montreal soon.

b.reyes16 and The Dark Knight like this.
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Agreed. Too much positives from Hack to give up on him already as some have suggested. Ridiculous, actually. Like I said, he is 21, will be 22 in February. Literally the sky is the limit for him. Maybe he won't pan out, but he has plenty of years and potential left to do so.

16. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Exactly TDK, laugh at these guys that want to give up on him and he hasn't played a down yet

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I wonder whose better at this point Hack or Goff. The games I saw with the Rams and Goff quarterbacking he looked downright aweful. If people have hope Goff can turn it around then they should have the same beleif that hack can to ....I don't see much of a difference.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  18. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Do you know a 21 year old human that doesn't need to improve everything?

19. b.reyes16

The difference is that Goff has the arm of a 40 year old Peyton Manning. Duck, duck, duck

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  20. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, Cimini here means nothing.
    The Jets said Hack wouldn't play this year and they stuck to that word. Good for them.
    Teams that give in to pressure from fans or the press are teams that are always bad teams.

hwismer, FJF and matt robinson 17 like this.