More Hackenberg...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jan 7, 2017.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Because our coaches are so much better.

Pags2112 likes this.
  2. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean .. but I think Bates has the credentials, jury is still out on him. Bowles is the one that scares me .. unless he was made to feel otherwise, I can see him making decisions based on keeping his job. Decisions that will null and void what IMO, I think 2017 will be about - The development and identifying of long term starters, backups, and determining what players/positions need to be addressed in the draft and free agency come 2018.

The stage couldn't be better set for a young QB .. he would be quarterbacking a team of fellow young ball players. Much easier said and done than coming in and winning over a group of savvy veterans who don't want to go through a few years of development along side him. Instead we can have a team that will grow together, hopefully creating a strong unified lockerroom.

Although I prefer Hackenberg. Petty can also come out the starter and recently received some praise from Richardson stating that Petty was already competing throw per throw with McCown .. I wouldn't expect anything less from Petty now in his third year. Yes Year 2 QB's make a big jump .. but Year 3 they really start becoming the player they will be. I personally expect both young QB's to pass McCown come July, making the decision tough for Bowles on picking the week 1 starter. The preseason games and the performances by both QB's, I think will be the deciding factor as Im hoping for a good summer long battle.

-edit Richardsons remarks about Hackenberg were not so encouraging as he stated he was slowly progressing and the game was still too fast for him. It's definitely going to be a week by week evaluation.

#722 Pags2112, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

W
    Agreed. Hackenberg has been proactive on trying to fix his footwork. He trained with Carson Palmers brother for two off seasons now, and I think from the limited video we have from OTA's, his footwork looks more stable. He has been on and off so far as he's thrown some wary passes that have been picked off. He occasionally sails a pass too high but right now its OTA's and I just want to see him get better and better. This is a process that I think the Jets know isn't going to be quick. But its encouraging to know that Jets brass like what they're seeing so far. I want improvement at the end of the day - even if he isn't starting week 1. We all know McCown isn't going to last the full season. I think McCown ends up as starter but doesn't last more than 6 games at the helm. Too injury prone and his play on the field speaks for itself.

Pags2112 likes this.
  4. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

You're right but that's why I want to see it on the field. Also, given how shitty last year was, and how much turnover there was with the coaching staff I think those comments either came from Pepper Johnson (who is a big mouth) or Kevin Patullo. But I honestly am less inclined to believe it was the latter.

Regardless, no amount of praise through the media matters unless he proves it on the field.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Hey, Hack may suck in the end, idk. But just because Shefter said that it doesn't mean it isn't shit. Gimme the source, the circumstances, and context, and I'll pay it some mind. Hack will be have to be the most accurate passer ever to stop some of the negative narrative towards him and the team by the likes of Mehta and Shefter. They don't know what they're looking at otherwise.

Pags2112 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sad to see that still so many have totally given up on Petty. If for no other reason, I hope that Petty wins the starting QB job over Hack and McCown.

Pags2112 likes this.
  7. Pags2112

Agreed. IMO, at this point, the Hackenberg criticism and pass attempt dissection will continue until he has an above par season. Even if Hackenberg comes in, starts a game, shows improvement, shows flashes, moves the ball and orchestrates scoring drives, the fan base and media will continue. I think it will take Hackenberg becoming an above average quarterback for it to just ease up and if he hits a platoe the scrutinee will continue where it left off. The Jet fan base is as rough as it comes.

People better not count Petty out! The kid is in his third year and does not want to give up what he has worked hard to attain to Hackenberg. Perhaps Hackenbergs drafting could be the best thing that ever happened to Petty. Time will tell, but I think he has just as good and if not better chance to be the week 1 starter. I actually prefer Petty getting the nod first, Giving Hackenberg more time to develop .. and if Petty doesn't lock up the job .. then make the switch to Hackenberg .. say week 7-8. Best thing for this franchise is for both QB's to lock up the starter and backup roles. Then we can draft a developmental QB in the later rounds and bring him along quietly in the background.

Edit- I'm currently watching the 2nd 2016 matchup against Miami when Petty went down with the season ending injury .. Petty looked pretty good. He moved the ball, and looked comfortable while doing so. He was subject to the blitz at first but then started using his hard count and audibled when needed. He took advantage of 1 on 1 matchups changing plays at the line .. Im just about done with the first half but Petty seemed to be improving during his trial run last year. His two minute drill at the end of the first half looked good as he made the proper reads, and his chemistry with Anderson was very apparent. An uptempo offense might be something Morton can use under Petty to switch things up on defenses when needed.

I get a different feel going back and watching Petty .. it's a shame he went down as I think he was on the up.

#727 Pags2112, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
  8. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I was listening to Hahn and Humpty towards the end of their show and they're ready to toss Hack/Macc/Bowles out the window.

I hate this mindset.

Instant results or leave.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  9. Pags2112

What did they say? Is there a link to cast? The instant results expectations irks the crap outta me!

10. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/newyork/play?id=19505566

its the last segment, I heard it just before it went off.

Basically Macc made a mistake, fire him and Bowles, Hack's a bust, etc...

Pags2112 likes this.
  11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Jeti likes this.