Mock Offseason 3.0 (Pre-Free Agency)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetFanInPA, Mar 4, 2015.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

In my third mock, I combine my own hopes with realistic and possible options that I'd almost call predictions too. Some people are getting a little too crazy with the "sign Cobb, Iupati, Suh, Worilds, Cromartie, Maxwell, McCourty, draft Mariota" scenarios and I do believe (and hope) this regime is SMART about signings rather than running to the biggest names and contracts. I'm calling for some bigger acquisitions, but mostly just smart pieces via free agency and building through the draft. This plan reflects that.

RESIGN
    - WR Greg Salas (1yr/750K): Showed enough to warrant a minimal deal to compete
    - OT Ben Ijalana (1yr/750K – 0 guaranteed): A former 2nd round pick, he also gets a chance to compete
    - DL Leger Douzable (2yr/3M): A good rotational player at a low cost, but it seems like they’re interested in upgrading the depth so wouldn’t be surprised if Bowles brought one of his guys instead
    - NT Kenrick Ellis (2yr/4M): Not sure if he’ll get a chance to start elsewhere, but he’s quality depth
    - NT Damon Harrison (1st round tender 1yr/~3.5M): He’s an extension candidate during the season
    - ILB Nick Bellore (1yr/850K): Good special teams player
    - CB Phillip Adams (1yr/750K): Gets a chance to compete for a spot
    - S Jaiquawn Jarrett (original round tender 1yr/~1.5M): Surprisingly effective last year, he’ll be depth in 2015
    - LS Tanner Purdum (3yr/2.7M): Sure, why not?

DO NOT RESIGN

- QB Michael Vick: No chance
    - RB Bilal Powell: Tough call, but I think the Jets will opt for Spiller and Powell will get more work elsewhere
    - FB John Connor: Unless this regime values his style of play
    - OG Willie Colon: He held down the fort alright, but upgrade is necessary
    - LB Jermaine Cunningham: Injuries, legal troubles, never showed much…
    - ILB David Harris: Latest report is Buffalo putting a full-court press for him and could command 6-8M annually… Nope. He’s 31 and just not that good of a player or worth overpaying for. Lot of good ILBs available in the 2nd and 3rd round. Time to move on unless we’re talking 5M/yr or less.
    - CB Kyle Wilson: A disappointment as a first round pick, but not a total bust. It’s nevertheless time to move on
    - S Dawan Landry: They stay younger at the position with Pryor starting and Allen behind him

RELEASE
    - RB Chris Johnson (saves 3.5M): Just bookkeeping
    - WR Percy Harvin (saves 10.5M): He won’t take a pay cut and he’s not worth this money and the 4th round pick

EXTENSION
    - DL Muhammad Wilkerson (6yr/62M): This needs to happen. This deal is for 10.3M annually

FREE AGENCY

- QB Brian Hoyer (3yr/14M): He was actually looking pretty good for his downward spiral mid/late season. He was also on a morbid team. He provides very adequate competition and I wouldn’t be surprised if he took steps forward with a much better surrounding cast. He’s a hardworker who handled the Manziel circus well. The kind of player you want on your team, at least as a backup.

- QB T.J. Yates (1yr/750K): A former Texans draft pick, Yates will probably be the 3rd QB, but will have to earn that spot. On the other hand, if he stands out, maybe he moves up the depth chart in time.

- RB C.J. Spiller (3yr/13M): This deal seems fair for what Spiller is. I wouldn’t pay him too much more. He’ll be a change-of-pace back, receiving threat, and special teams player. He obviously is a big fan of Gailey and will fill a Percy Harvin-esque role

- WR Denarius Moore (1yr/850K): Once-promising player in Oakland who fell off last year, he competes for the 4th receiver spot here and could very well get it

- TE Daniel Fells (1yr/900K): Made some plays for the Giants last year and can block too. This could also be James Casey or Anthony Fasano among others. I tend to like Cumberland, but he’s making way too much for a guy who can’t block and is very inconsistent as a receiver.

- OG Stefan Wisniewski (4yr/14M): I am starting to get the sense that Orlando Franklin will end up commanding more money than I originally thought. If we’re talking over 7M, he may not be worth it. Wisniewski is a still young, four-year starter on a perennially bad line and team. He’s only seeking about 3M per year, making him a bargain.

- OL Charlie Johnson (1yr/1M): Been around the league for years now, he adds veteran depth at OG and OT to a second-team unit that lacks it.

- OLB Sam Acho (2yr/4M): Former Bowles player in Arizona, he’ll get snaps as a pass-rusher, but just how many is uncertain.

- ILB Arthur Moats (2yr/4M): He was an effective 3-4 OLB last year against the run and pass, but has primarily been an ILB previously. He’ll be competing with a rookie to start opposite Demario Davis and probably offers more than some vets like A.J. Hawk and could come cheaper.

- CB Antonio Cromartie (3yr/18M): Seems to be a likely reunion. He comes at a better price than some of the younger guys, but is still a very capable player who wants to be in NY and with Bowles. He won’t be the only acquisition at CB

- FS Devin McCourty (5yr/45M): The Pats are currently 12M over the cap and need to deal with Revis still. Given their cap troubles and their desire to keep Revis on the team and out of NY or Buffalo, McCourty could just get free. Pats players often have the “system player” tag, but with a stellar defensive mind like Bowles, McCourty will be utilized very well opposite Pryor.

DRAFT

1. Kevin White, WR, West Virginia: This team would benefit greatly from a big-time, number one wide receiver and at this spot, they can get one. White has everything you want in a receiver. Amari Cooper would be very much fine by me too. It’s time to invest a high pick on offense. Value meets need

2. Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest: The Jets still need more at CB. Johnson has the size, length and man cover skills Bowles wants and the Jets are apparently interested in him. This could be a good spot for value at corner

3. Paul Dawson, ILB, T.C.U: Since Harris is gone and his replacement is not a long-term starter, it’s imminent they find a replacement in the draft. Dawson has everything you want in a linebacker except for shorts-workout numbers and potential character concerns. The Cards took a chance on another ultra-talented, but troubled defender in 2013 with Tyraun Mathieu and it paid off. Dawson could be a star and will have the chance to learn and begin as a rotational player.

4. Davis Tull, OLB, Tennessee-Chattanooga: Tull was a true standout at a lower level of competition, but has thus far stood out in post season workouts too. Tull projects as a 3-4 OLB and will also have the chance to adjust to this level of competition. The Jets sent their head of scouting to his pro day.

5. Chaz Green, OT, Florida: Boasts a versatile skill set and could project to either side. He’s had some injury woes, but if healthy, he could end up being a starter down the line. Could be some other decent RT prospects here also.

7. John Crockett, RB, North Dakota St: Jets take advantage of a deep RB class and get a very talented, productive, confident runner late.

UDFA Considerations: QB Hutson Mason, Georgia; WR Geremy Davis, Connecticut; TE A.J. Derby, Arkansas; OL Ian Silberman, Boston College; C Dillon Day, Mississippi St; DL Tavaris Barnes, Clemson; ILB Quayshawn Nealy, Georgia Tech; LB Neiron Ball, Florida; OLB/DE C.J. Olaniyan,; CB Merril Noel, Wake Forest; CB Tye Hill, Towson

ESTIMATED CAP SPACE BEFORE FINAL CUTS (which will include larger numbers such as Calvin Pace and Jeff Cumberland): ~8M

2. JetFanInPA

2015 DEPTH CHART ENTERING CAMP

/ indicates competition between players at a position
    - indicates clearer order of depth
    BOLD indicates projected final roster

QB: Geno Smith / Brian HoyerT.J. Yates / Matt Simms / Hutston Mason
    RB: Chris IvoryC.J. Spiller / John Crockett – Daryl Richardson
    FB: Tommy Bohanon
    WR: Eric DeckerGreg Salas / Shaq Evans / Geremy Davis
    WR: Kevin WhiteChris Owusu / Quincy Enunwa / Saalim Hakim
    WR: Jeremy KerleyDenarius Moore / TJ Graham / Walt Powell
    TE: Jace AmaroDaniel Fells / Jeff Cumberland / Zach Sudfeld / Chris Pantale / A.J. Derby
    LT: D’Brickashaw Ferguson – Ben Ijalana
    LG: Stefan WisniewskiCharlie Johnson (OT) / Brian Winters
    C: Nick MangoldDalton Freeman / Dillon Day
    RG: Oday AboushiDakota Dozier / Ian Silberman
    RT: Breno GiacominiChaz Green / Wesley Johnson / Sean Hooey / Brett Qvale

DT: Sheldon RichardsonLeger Douzable / Ronald Talley
    NT: Damon HarrisonKenrick EllisTJ Barnes
    DE: Muhammad Wilkerson – Tavaris Barnes
    OLB: Quinton Coples / IK Enempkali / Trevor Reilly / Neiron Ball
    OLB: Jason Babin / Sam Acho / Davis Tull / Calvin Pace / C.J. Olaniyan
    ILB: Demario DavisNick Bellore / Mario Harvey / Chris Young
    ILB: Arthur Moats / Paul Dawson / Quayshawn Nealy
    CB: Antonio CromartieMarcus Williams / Dexter McDougle / Merill Noel / Keith Lewis / Curtis Brown
    CB: Kevin Johnson / Dee MillinerDarrin Walls / Phillip Adams / Tye Hill / Dashaun Phillips
    FS: Devin McCourtyJaiquawn Jarrett
    SS: Calvin PryorAntonio Allen / Rontez Miles

K: Nick Folk / Andrew Furney
    P: Ryan Quigley / Jacob Schum
    LS: Tannder Purdum

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent Job. I'd be very happys with this. I think you do an excellent job of addressing needs, and I like most of the players you sign, but of course I'd be very disappointed with no Mariota or replacement for Brick next year. I know that Steve and you are high on Dawson, and I know he made a lot of plays at TCU, but his lack of foot speed is a MAJOR concern for me. That's the only pick with which I would be unhappy.

I don't know anything about Tull, Green or Crockett so can't speak to them.

Question, since you signed Acho, why keep both Pace and Babin? I'd cut one of them. Reilly has a year's experience, there's Ik and you drafted an OLB.

4. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

I agree with the Dawson sentiment. He was a real deal player at TCU, so I'm hoping his game translates more than his 40 time did. Typical situation I could associate with Brandon Spikes some years back, and he turned out pretty good.

I'd be fine with most of your moves.

Although, I would also be disappointed if they didn't address QB in the draft at some point. They have 2 QBs on the roster right now, I think Simms only latched on as an emergency thing, and I don't see him making the team by preseasons end. Signing Hoyer could be a solid backup signing, but he's not blowing any doors off. I suppose it all depends on what they think of Geno. But, I think they NEED to address QB somewhere along the draft.

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I think your free agency pickups leave us with some extra cap space.

You could probably add a corner, another OL, and a LB if you stay away from the bigger names.

6. JetFanInPA

Thank you. I think those questions about Dawson including those workout numbers are what makes him a potential 3rd rounder instead of a 2nd.

With guys like Tull, Green and Crockett especially, it's for me about reading scouting reports, blurbs, news, etc. I'd recommend cbssportsline, rotoworld, and nfl.com's draft prospect scouting reports if you wish to familiarize yourself with prospects more.

Well if you look at the final depth chart, I project Pace as a cut. The guys in bold I keep. I might be satisfied with Coples and Babin and the 3 young guys, but decided on Acho due to Coples' questions about his 3-4 fit, Babin's age (even though he graded out very well last year), and Acho's familiarity with Bowles defense.

7. JetFanInPA

I project less than 10M of cap space after all that. What additions might you make in this scenario? I don't see where else I'd add an additional OL, LB or CB in this situation

8. JetFanInPA

Dawson seems like a more complete player than Spikes, who is very much a 2-down LB in the NFL.

But what pick would you replace with a QB? This draft is terrible for QBs. I'd rather just get a UDFA. If we had more draft picks, maybe. But we only have 6

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Beautiful Mock - I got no complaints on this at all. I do think we need to upgrade the RT position as I'm all that sold on Breno.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  10. rockyusmc2003

Hmm...

Well, let's assume Mariota is there at 6, I'd select him. However, if he's not there, I'd stick with White. I did the same thing in my mock.

SO, we miss the top 2 guys in that scenario, and I don't want to butcher too much of your draft (I actually like it). If that's the case, I use your 4th round pick you chose Tull with to select whoever is the best QB available at that point: Petty, Grayson, Mannion, Carden (in that order if they are there, I feel Hundley will be gone sooner). Then I replace your 7th rounder with Lynden Trail, who is another small school OLB.

11. James Hasty

You had $55 mil before cutting Harvin loose.

Since most contracts are at least slightly back loaded due to the signing bonus you should have room left for one more big contract or a few smaller ones.

12. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

In general I agree with this but Burfict had the same concerns and he played out pretty well. Dawson, like Burfict, has slow foot speed but superb instincts that allows him to be in the right place to make plays. Plus Dawson doesn't have the character concerns that Burfict had coming out.

13. JetFanInPA

Thanks. Yeah I'm counting on Breno a little there and hoping Chaz Green shows something. Would like to get a higher pick there, but can't fill everything this year

14. JetFanInPA

I'd take Grayson or Petty in 4th, if they were actually there, which I doubt. I don't think Manion or Carden are worth that spot. Of course, I prefer the scenario I presented haha, but I can see yours too

15. JetFanInPA

On a second count, I get ~13.6M going into the draft, so with signing rookies maybe that goes down to about ~8M or so. And with the cuts I project, there will probably be closer to 15M. So you're right, that money could still be spent. Maybe they think about resigning Snacks to a longer deal. Also could mean going after Orlando Franklin instead of Wisniewski. So good point. Still think we're over the 89% spending minimum (or whatever is) and I don't think we glaringly skimp at any positions (a la Idzik) so I'm not totally sold on spending a lot more

But in terms of my scenario above, are there any specific players, for example, you'd like to add additionally via free agency?

#15 JetFanInPA, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  16. rockyusmc2003

That's the fun of the off season!

Remember when everyone pegged Barkley and Nassib as a 2nd-3rd rounders a few years back, I could possibly see the same thing happening to Petty/Grayson this draft. I hated Mannion until I watched his tape. I agree though, a 4th would be reaching for Mannion/Carden, but I didn't want to wreck your whole draft!

Another alternative. Would you take your draft, but sign Locker and Yates? Locker may never be a full time guy, but he has a higher ceiling than Hoyer, and could be a good backup as well. Someone will take a stab at Locker this offseason, so why not the Jets? REALLY bad year to have 55 million to spend and need a QB.

17. James Hasty

I think Wisniewski is probably the best option on OL but from what I saw last season adding two guards instead of one wouldn't hurt.

18. JetFanInPA

I also added Charlie Johnson, who can play guard or tackle for depth/insurance in case Oday is unimpressive

19. JetFanInPA

Well that's true. The draft brings more unexpected surprises than anyone can possibly predict.

Locker might have more potential, but I like what Hoyer brings to the table and feel that he could even continue to improve on a better team. I wouldn't be opposed to Locker and it really depends on who Gailey and Bowles feel is a better fit for this offense, but Hoyer is my preference now.

It couldn't be a worse offseason to need a QB. I almost had a trade for Glennon in this mock because I feel he might be the best realistic scenario, but opted to avoid the trade route

20. rockyusmc2003

I wouldn't be opposed to Glennon, but I just can't buy into 2 things on his trade status. 1- The Bucs would benefit from having someone behind Winston that knows the system, and who can actually play. 2- Giving up a 3rd rounder for him might be a bit steep.