Mock Drafts (Please post all mock drafts here)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NCJetsfan, Dec 17, 2019.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I would also be ok with Harris at center if we could get him. He's great at pulling. Not as high on him as Humphrey but he could work out. And for a late rounder I like Cervenka, wrestling background and he's smart. I don't mind missing top 2 centers as much as I would mind not upgrading the left tackle and and our run blockers.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The source I saw/heard was Matt Stypakulski (sp?) of the Star Ledger and he said we now had the #11 pick.

Epenesa is a 4-3 DE. He weighs 280 pounds which is too much for an 3-4 LB. Unless we're switching to a 4-3 full time, I don't see him as being a fit in our D. I don't mind if they switch to a 4-3, but imo that should wait for a year or two until they have the offense fixed.

The first pick should definitely be offense. I was loving the #7 pick. I so pissed that the dumbasses won yesterday. We had a shot at getting Thomas. Now we have no shot at getting an elite LT, and maybe not one at all unless Douglas trades down, takes one of the less highly rated LT prospects, he develops and proves the drafting sites wrong.

3. NCJetsfan

We cannot even think about trading up. We need MORE picks, not less. If Douglas trades up, I may drive to NJ and kneecap the mofo.

4. J-Raw24

Think of this scenario. If we lose to buffalo we could rise as far as the 6th pick, if we win we could fall as far as 14. Lets say we are 10th. About the middle. We trade out 10th for raiders 14th plus their 2nd and 4th. Get either lt or wr, doesn't matter which. Then trade that 4th and our 2nd and more up... we still get another 2nd. It depends how douglas manages it. Yhat could still be a win for us. Then we could get say Higgins, Humphrey, Little, Weaver, and maybe Becton to play rt? Looks like a good draft right.

5. NCJetsfan

There is NO scenario where trading up in this draft would be acceptable to me. It would be totally stupid imo.

6. J-Raw24

2nd round and later works differently. An if there us a player they feel they need that may be swiped moving up is fine. As I have stated I think Harris in the 3rd or Cervenka later in the draft will fill our center problem. But if Douglas feels strongly about Humphrey and wants to move up for him I'm ok with thag. The results will show on the field.

7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Trading up a couple spots to land a player that you think is a future All-Pro at a position of need isn't stupid.

MoWilkBeast and J-Raw24 like this.
  8. J-Raw24

I guess my point really is I would rather see them trade up from the 42nd pick to 33rd to get someone going between 30th and 40th than trade back from 10th to 15th and draft that same player. Its a huge reach at 15th and costs very little from 42nd.

9. NCJetsfan

For most NFL teams, no it isn't stupid, but for the Jets, who have so many holes, so little depth, who have traded away so many picks trading up and who have missed on so many draft picks, it would be stupid imo. They need quantity as much as they need quality.

10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Rome wasn't built in a day. If the Jets believe that a prospect such as Thomas, Jeudy, or Lamb are future all-pros and can reasonably move up for them, then they do it. Unfortunately, it's impossible to fill every hole in one offseason. They need to prioritize filling holes at high impact positions such as OL, Edge, WR, etc. Dishing a third rounder to move up a spot or two to get your guy isn't stupid.

dawinner127 likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Even a 3rd or 4th round pick would be too much imo. You've obviously forgotten about how little depth, how many holes the team has, how many picks Tanny wasted trading up, and how many missed picks Mac, Idzik and Tanny made. This team needs quantity as much as quality. In a couple of years, fine, trade up as long as it's balanced with trading down. But imo for this draft and next year's draft, no trading up unless it's in a middle or lower round where the cost is negligible.

12. J-Raw24

I disagree. We are 2 years from finishing the rebuild at the very soonest. So if we get a lt prospect, center prospect, and wr prospect plus 3-4 depth piece this year. Then a cb1 and edge prospect next year plus more depth. Not to mention any late round gems, free agents, and guard prospects we aren't a bad team.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I've said all along that it's going to take 2-3 offseasons to get this team to a place where they can be truly competitive, and that's only if Douglas proves to be a great evaluator of talent. Because of that, draft picks should not be wasted trading up for players until the roster is pretty set, then in future drafts, trading up occasionally will be fine. There are several posters here who claim that draft position doesn't matter, that good players can be found throughout the draft. It's time to put their theory to the test.

Very few players make All Pro. Mac drafted a lot of "BPAs" who should have been All Pro or at least Pro Bowlers, and most of them sucked. If Douglas trades up and whiffs, it puts the team even more in a hole. It's too risky until he proves he is a capable talent evaluator.

We will never agree, so we might as well agree to disagree.

#53 NCJetsfan, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    J-Raw24 likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I have said that it's going to take 2-3 offseasons for the team to be a truly competitive, and that's only if Douglas proves to be a very good evaluator of talent. There is zero sense in prolonging getting the team to that point by trading up, especially with an unproven GM who has already made some questionable personnel decisions. If he proves that he is a great talent evaluator and hits a homerun in this draft, then I might be willing to see him trade up in the 2021 draft, but unless or until he does, I will continue to think that it's stupid to trade up. If he trades up and misses, it sets the team back. Even if he hits on that one player, we are still another player short, and another player at that position may prove to be as good or better than the one he traded up for. It's just too risky for a team with the talent shortage we have.

We will never agree, so we might as well agree to disagree.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  15. J-Raw24

Mac was garbage. We are all hoping Douglas is better. If he decides to trade up or back or sit put, we can only hope he has a plan and it works. I have been a huge advocate for trading back in the 1st. Now I'm starting to see some wisdom in trading up in the later rounds. Humphrey, Becton, Little, they all look like decent prospects depending what was drafted before them. I also like Weaver at olb. And AJ Dillon as a power back. There are others I really like in their projected spots. But if we aren't in those spots and need to trade up or back I can see the wisdom in it if that is what Douglas thinks we need.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I was hoping for a trade down, but don't hold out much hope now unless the Jets lose to the Bills and some of the other teams win, and they can move back into the top 10.

I would have no problem trading up in the 4th to get Dillon if Douglas thought someone else would take him before our pick. Then it might only cost a 6th round pick, maybe a 5th. Still, those players can be STs players and depth, but if Douglas really likes Dillon and thinks he will be our starting RB for the next 5 seasons and will be a good one, then I'm willing to sacrifice a 5th or 6th round pick. I'm not willing to sacrifice a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round pick to move up in earlier rounds, however.

17. J-Raw24

Only way I can see us sacrificing picks is if we get more... like in a trade back scenario. We acquire 3 picks for our first or whatever and use them to trade up later. I like Dillon a lot. The more I watch him the more I think of Frank Gore. He's just massive and runs with violence. Like he's punishing defenders. He can also catch and moves very well for his size. He could play power back and full back.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Another important fact that I forgot to mention earlier is that over the last 10-12 years the Jets have had among the fewest draft picks in the NFL. Someone quoted the stats on here not too long ago. I think they were one of the 3 worst teams, perhaps the worst.

They rarely get compensatory picks, because they have to sign so many FAs to make up for their failed draft picks. They've also blown a lot of picks trading up.

It's risky in the best of times. It basically means that you think a player is perfect or near-perfect, and no other player in the draft could come close to being as good. It also means that the GM has "fallen in love" with the player. IMO that's not a good way to run the draft. If your team is already set, and you have a glaring weakness at one position and have had it for a while, then I can understand trading up to get a player, but even then he would have to be a very special player at a premium position like QB, Edge Rusher, LT, #1 WR or #1 CB . In general, the only 3 positions I'd trade up to take player are at QB, LT and Edge Rusher.

19. J-Raw24

To me it depends on the round and quality of player. I think Humphrey at say pick 35 is a good spot. I think he could be a great center for a while so if i had an extra 4th from trading down in the 1st I could see trading up to get him. Keep in mind in my scenario I traded back in the first and acquired a 1st, 2nd, and 4th (not unheard of) for our first then used the extra 4th to trade up. If Humphrey can fill the position vacated by Mangold for 10 years imo its worth it. We have 7 picks atm in this draft. Even after those 2 trades we would have 8 picks. Trading back later we can acquire more.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’ve been saying this guy will rise come draft time for a few weeks now, looks like he already is.

[​IMG]

NYJFOREVER likes this.