Mock Drafts (Please post all mock drafts here)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NCJetsfan, Dec 17, 2019.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

boozer32 said:
    1. CeeDee Lamb WR Oklahoma - over Jeudy or a top OT? no thx/Jeudy and all the OT are gone by pick 11
    2. Isaiah Wilson T Georgia--sloppy; scheme retrictive; not worth reaching for in the 2nd (many others in the 2nd)/ That is what coaches are for.
    3a A.J Terrell CB Clemson---not bad
    3b Zack Moss RB Utah----waaay too much mileage. You want twice the upside in a RB? Cam Akers (FSU) or later: A.J. Dillon (BC)/ He can rest and eventually replace Bell. I like Akers also but think he will be gone also
    4. John Simpson G Clemson---nice brute 'cept he's more a man/power scheme fit/ We need to get physical. Had too many passive blockers
    5. Chase Claypool WR Notre Dame---available in the 5th round after running a 4.4 at the combine?? Seriously doubt it. We all have seen guys drop for no reason at all.
    6. Anthony Gordon QB Washington State---Day 3 QB's? Take a look at James Morgan (Fla. Int'l) Dude threw 9 TD in a game against UCLA...9 TD
    6. Casey Toohill LB Stanford - late 6th, ok/Good value

2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

1. I personally like Lamb over Jeudy so no fault there.
    2. I like Wanogho better. I view them as some amount of work, but one can be an LT. Wilson is an RT at best. Those are probably my top 2 2nd round tackles though. But also coaches are there to fix reaching.
    3a. Not bad if he fall but I bet he is gone in the 2nd.
    3b. No thanks. This pick should be used on ol, we, or edge. Dillon will be better than Moss and 1-2 round later.
    4. Does not fit the scheme. He is a man blocker we use a zone scheme. Will be a waste.
    5. Claypool will not fall. Would take him over Moss.
    6. I don't mind the winger in a qb. 9 td vs UCLA isn't that big a deal though I like Cole McDonald from hawaii.
    6. Not bad, wouldn't mind seeing a kicker here thought. Something we need. We have about 37 linebackers.

boozer32 likes this.
  3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Ima big fan of Gordon, I feel he has a great feel for being a solid backup, he doesn’t have a big time arm but he has great anticipation and is good in the pocket.

boozer32 likes this.
  4. boozer32

I thought about a kicker but the guys I saw were sketchy for over 45 yards. Another screw up by Maccagnan not keeping Myers.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  5. boozer32

I like Gordon's stats 5,500 yard and 48 TD

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I mean I just love what I see. I’d be all in to grab him in the 5th or 6th round.
    And man Patmon...this WR class is just stupid deep.

7. boozer32

Hopefully, our new GM can is a good fisherman.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I would love for them to grab Gordon. I think he has a big enough arm...he threaded passes in tight windows and hits deep route without making the receivers break stride. It's really hard to judge players coming from college because the level of skill and competition is so spotty, but I think he's a real sleeper.

NCJetsfan and Mogriffjr like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Okay, Mogriffjr, you got my attention. I haven't really been looking at QBs because, why bother?, we have Sam who has to be given every chance to live up to his promise, but after watching that tape I had to know more about Gordon. Here's the first article I came across:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ng-wsu-qb-anthony-gordon-has-the-nfl-on-alert

Some of the observations from a handful of scouts B/R spoke to:

• No one in the country throws a better deep ball.

• Gordon's multiple release points—overhead, three-quarters, sidearm—remind some scouts of Patrick Mahomes.

• Gordon plays with the attitude and fearlessness of a guy who has started four years.

• He's lanky (6'3" and 210 pounds) and needs to bulk up, and…

• He might just be a "system quarterback."

The bold jumped out at me because when I watched the video clip that's exactly what I thought. No, not nearly as strong an arm, but not a wet noodle either. But it's the different arm angles, the accuracy, the confidence to thread needles, all reminds me of Mahomes. And then there's even the same "knock" that he's a "system QB". If only the Jets had a "system QB" like Mahomes! Well, this might be their chance for a do-over.

I don't think he would come right in and threaten Sam. I think he does need to bulk up a bit, and also to learn the speed of the pro game, but I do think he'd be a great backup right away, and if Darnold falters and doesn't live up to his promise, Gordon offers a great fall back. I don;t want to jinx Darnold, but it could be a case similar to when the Patriots had to go to Brady after Bledsoe went down.

I seriously doubt Gordon lasts even to the 4th round, and may well go by the 2nd.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

11- Andrew Thomas, OT
    48 - Ben Bredeson, Guard
    68 - Michael Pittman Jr., WR
    79 - Chase Claypool, WR
    120 - James Morgan, QB
    158 - Shaquille Quarterman, LB
    191 - Jonathan Garvin, EDGE
    211 - Dane Jackson, CB

The 1st two picks solidify the Oline, which is our #1 need.

Next 2 picks provide depth at WR and 2 guys with some upside.

Morgan is a guy the Jets have interviewed, plays a little like Sam and has rare arm talent. Sam has missed games every season so far and we can’t go with the backups we have. Watching games without Sam have been the most painful experiences we’ve had over the last 2 years...

Quarterman/Gavin/Jackson are all depth guys with a chance to backup or develop into starters.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Would not be a fan of that draft. For starters, I don't think Ben Bredeson is a very good OG prospect and I'd rather take a WR or even a CB over him in the 2nd round. I really like Thomas and both WRs you chose in the 3rd, but I believe that Claypool and possibly Pittman will go in the 2nd round, not the 3rd. I'd take a WR like Claypool in the 2nd, and then Pittman if he's still there in the 3rd and a CB with the second 3rd round pick. I like taking a QB in the 4th round, but would much prefer Anthony Gordon from Washington St. over James Morgan. Why a LB in the 5th? We don't need yet another ILB. He's not even a very good prospect. He's slow, stiff and undersized. There's where I'd take a RB, Edge, another OL, or even WR over an ILB. If we were to take an ILB there he would need to excel in coverage. We already have a logjam at ILB. Sorry, but imo that would be a totally wasted pick as he wouldn't even make it through TC. Bless Austin has speed, he had injury issues that caused him to drop. Jackson is too slow, and I don't think would help at CB very much, if at all. I think if the Jets are going to take a CB, it needs to be a lot earlier than the 6th round.

12. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comments. This draft was done via a mock simulator which although not perfect does give a better sense of realism imo. My goal was to try to take 2 lineman first (like Brick/Mangold) + see what WR’s would be left and how things might come to be. Bredeson was perhaps overdrafted but is a 4 year starter, and the only 2 year captain in Michigan’s history + tough as nails and should be able to start right away. I could list a lot better “ideal” mock but reality is never like that. This is somewhat realistic and yeah I don’t love it either. The picks after round 3 were based on value/need... and yeah I’m bored. Lol.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

A new 7-round mock draft at https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...ass-on-quarterback-patriots-grab-jordan-love/

Jets picks:

1) Mekhi Becton, OT Louisville (with both Lamb and Jeudy still on the board, it has Josh Jones going at #14 to the Bucs, and Ruggs at #15 to the Broncos, & has 6 WRs going in the 1st round)
    2) Michael Pittman, Jr. , WR USC (with Josh Uchee Edge, Brandon Aiyuk WR, Alton Robinson Edge, Bryce Hall CB, and Chase Claypool WR still on the board)
    3a) Cameron Dantzler, CB Miss. St.(with Lloyd Cushenberry III OL and Prince Tega Wanogho OT still on the board)
    3b) Damien Lewis, OL LSU (with Curtis Weaver Edge, Jabari Zuniga Edge, Van Jefferson WR, Bryan Edwards WR, Antonio Gandy-Golden WR, and Ben Bredeson OL still on the board)
    4) Colby Parkinson, TE Stanford (with AJ Dillon RB, Bradley Anae Edge, and Michael Ojemudia CB still on the board)
    5) Joshua Kelley, RB UCLA (with Anthony McFarland RB, Collin Johnson WR, and Anthony Gordon QB still on the board)
    6a) Markus Bailey, LB Purdue (with Steven Montez QB, Tyler Bass K, Solomon Kindley OL, and Michael Onwenu OL still on the board)
    6b) Tipa Galeai, Edge Utah St. (with Rodrigo Blankenship K still on the board)

I like the first two picks even though Becton scares me a bit. Dantzler is a good CB but too slow imo. I can't quibble with taking another OL at 3b, although I don't know anything about Damien Lewis, but I think I'd have a hard time taking him with Van Jefferson, Bryan Edwards and Antonio Gandy-Golden all still on the board. I think Douglas should double dip at both OL and WR in this draft. I don't understand the pick of Parkinson in the 4th round, not with a good edge rush prospect in Anae and Dillon there, Dillon would be our starting RB in 2021. I have heard of Kelley but that's it. McFarland would be a playmaker on offense, Collin Johnson a great red zone target, and Gordon a very good developmental QB prospect. I don't like the Kelley pick. I would take one of Gordon, McFarland or Johnson (in that order). The worst pick is at 6a. The Jets already have a logjam at ILB. They absolutely do not need another ILB. That would be a wasted draft pick. There is a strong-armed QB there, a kicker with the strongest leg in the draft, and two pretty good OG prospects any of whom I would have taken. I'm not sure what good it does to take an edge with one's last pick, that is 2 picks before the 7th round.

Overall, I wouldn't be very happy with this draft.

MDJets and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Not a full mock, but I did find Matt Miller's (recent?) first round mock interesting for us. He has us trading up to Carolina's #7 to pick Jedrick Wills. (#7 for #11, 79, and a 2021 3rd) I think that value of the trade is really good, plus I value Wills much higher than the other tackles.

15. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I would be unhappy. You can still hopefully grab an OL at 11 and besides Jets need all the picks they can. They cannot I’ll afford to lose 79. Too many holes.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  16. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Agreed 3 pick for Wills is garbage. Especially since if he went at 7 someone that has more upside or someone more refined will be there at 11.

17. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

fair enough. to me, we aren't giving up 48 or 68, and that value of 79 is just too much for me to turn down for an opportunity to snag my tackle 1.
    I guess we just disagree on Wills. I have him in a tier above any of the other tackles, as I think he's that much better than the others. *Becton I think is the other one who has a similar or higher ceiling than Wills but I just don't trust Gase's staff to develop him

KY Jets Fan likes this.