Mo Wilkerson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Apr 29, 2016.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

101 has been fighting the good fight all day. well done sir. no reason mac shouldn't cross out names add the right ones and hand mo the same contract.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

and pay him in green stamps since we are already over the cap...without a qb. (well, I guess we are 3M under now after looking, the point is the same)

3. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

that is exactly what buffalo thought and fitz bombed after signing the big contract.
    he did not make the playoffs here, and spit the bit last year in week 17.
    what you saw last year was the upside. no where to go with him but down.

4. FJF

Well, if you consider mo has a 15 mil cap hit now and fletcher now has a 7.8 mil cap hit i think we can afford it. Nice try with the doom and gloom though. Too bad you didn't think before you posted though

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And if you think he would accept any contract that doesn't pay him at LEAST 15 million this year and sure we can cut everybody to make room for him..nice try with the daisies. the reality is if it was as easy as you thought it would have been done last december.

6. FJF

Dig deeper bro, Cox got, i believe 30 just for signing his name and is getting 63 guaranteed which essentially will be over 4 years before the deal would have to be restructured. So 63รท4=? Go ahead and do the math yourself and see he hits the threshold you believe he wants. Mac doesn't want to guarantee enough is my guess at whats holding this up

#166 FJF, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    101GangGreen101 likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Thanks Flajetfan.
    Jets won't be paying Revis, Mangold and Harris forever. I'd argue that the cap figures of those players will be less or non existent in 2 years. We can restructure tons of other contracts like Skrine and Decker.

We will have tons of cap space after this season. There are plenty of ways to get creative with these contracts. That's Brads issue.

Trading an elite player before or during his prime is a complete cop-out and taking the easy way out. For a team that doesn't draft well I am not trading homegrown elite talent for a lottery ticket.

With his mindset Jets will never amount to anything.

8. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Lol arguing with Brad is like arguing with a dude wearing a tin hat shut in a log cabin out in the wilderness.

_

9. 101GangGreen101

He's become Chuck from Better Call Saul. We will have to purchase him a tin jacket to help with the electricity emitting from his cpu monitor

10. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i said it the day they drafted l. williams with the #6 pick...not only did they never want to pay Mo, they drafted his replacement by justifying best player available and having him for 5 years at good cost.

11. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

My two cents. Football is 80% system and fit. There are very few stars who will dominate or even thrive in any system. Those players are legit stud gamechangers. Mo may be that good. I dont know. Im not that sharp. But if he really is, they should pay him as theyre few and far-between. A good GM will find the less-expensive guys who fit the system. Money shouldnt be that much of an issue, with strong scouting/management.

Edit: a guy like Fitz definitely ought not be overpaid. He is the definition of a 'system' guy.

12. 101GangGreen101

This could apply to Sheldon also. Regardless, you are still delaying the inevitable. You will still need to pay 2 of the lineman.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

we don't want to restructure decker. his contract is favorable for the Jets going forward. The only way to keep Wilkerson would be to cut Revis after this season. If you are okay with that then its an option, but patchwork restructures just fucks us.

Personally I think the man is long gone at this point. I'm used to the fact that he's in his last season here.

Also you have Sheldon Richardson already blabbering his fat mouth about contracts in this morning's paper. He's gonna ask for more than Wilkerson.

14. 101GangGreen101

2018 we are absolutely in the clear in terms of cap space. I think Revis is gone after 2018 also, he needs to take a pay-cut then or leave. If we look at 2017, I think Breno is gone, Harris could be gone as well. We can work around 2017, just like the Eagles did with Cox and his contract structure. Decker I was looking to add another year to his deal and try and spread some money to open up space.

Sheldon IMO is not in my future plans, he is all about the money and we need to change that culture. I wouldn't mind keeping Mo and Leonard here as our future interior lineman going forward.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

we are already projected to be 21 mill under the cap next year ... that is before obvious cuts like harris, breno, and folk which will save us another 14 mill

we will be able to keep mo without cutting revis next year

sheldon is going to have to play out another three years (the last year of his rookie contract, his option year, and a franchise year) without getting in trouble before we even consider giving him an extension, imo ... so i am not concerned about his demands

we have another month before that deadline to work out a long-term deal ... pay mo

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

good stuff guys. Who knows what will happen. The only thing I would hate is if we reach 2018 or something and both Richardson and Wilkerson are employed elsewhere with the Jets getting nothing to show for it. I would be open to trades for both or letting them walk or signing 1 or something based on calculated decisions but if we reach 2018 and Harrison, Richardson, and Wilkerson all have walked without a trade then its a major fuck up and I've seen the Jets do this before.

at least with Wilkerson I guess you could say we'd get 3rd round compensatory pick, but it would be a late one and delayed a year, I'd like a better option. I like Wilkerson as a player. I wouldn't overpay for an average QB like Fitzpatrick and make it even harder to keep him but it appears they might possibly be open to that road. That's a topic for another discussion though- we have like a zillion page thread on that.

Wilkerson did show up for minicamp on his own this morning. That's surprising and encouraging.

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Revis salary does massively reduce in 2018 (from 16M to 10M).
    I wouldn't cut him after this year unless his play massively declines. Cutting him leaves a lot of dead money.
    We get the most value out of the contract by having him play it out, again assuming his play doesn't rapidly decline.
    i could even see him transition to FS in the last year of it.

Totally agree with your other points on retaining our best players.
    Between our 3 DL, we should really keep at least 2, and Sheldon would also be my odd man out.
    He's going to be a big headache come negotiation time, and he carries a lot more risk.

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

would we even get a comp pick for Wilk?

Him leaving would add a lot of cap to an already fluid cap situation.
    I'd have to think we'd end up active in FA, which could then offset any comp pick.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Even Watt is not worth what he's being paid. The Texans aren't winning double digit games every year because of him. They're winning 8 or 9 if they're lucky and hoping that the Colts collapse for the season and the Jaguars or Titans don't emerge as a real contender.

The thing that clouds the Watt deal is that there's absolutely no question that he sells tickets for the Texans. That makes a competitive disadvantage, however slight, into a marketing win and it's arguable that it's worth doing the deal on that basis alone. That was always the argument for the Revis deals: that the player was marketable and sold tickets despite not being able to guarantee wins on the field. The Jets made exactly that kind of marketing deal last year when they re-signed Revis to boost ticket sales.

Mo doesn't do that. He's just a DL, albeit a very good one. He doesn't transcend the role of a defensive player by also being a very marketable player. He clearly doesn't lift the Jets to great heights and if they sign him to a huge deal we're likely to regret it almost immediately and certainly within a few seasons.

Red Menace likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

That's the scariest scenario, having Sheldon and Wilk leave with no true compensation. Everything the Jets worked for in terms of acquiring these players would go down the drain. I think the Jets needed to act on this maybe a year or 2 ago, but it's too late now. To hit on draft picks that are all pro caliber only to have them leave is a set-back.

Jets have to do what they can to keep either Sheldon or Mo. Everything has to be calculated no doubt about it.