Mo Wilkerson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Dont worry Killjoy, the Jets will be in all those games. Better to get tested early and see where we're at.

Truth4U2 likes this.
  2. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

But is Fitz signed???

Sorry, wrong thread

3. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

While Snax was arguably a liability (and therefore typically taken off the field) in obvious passing situations, I don't believe there was any 3-4 nose who more consistently penetrated and collapsed opposing O-Lines and was a more effective and disruptive force against the run than he was at the position. He routinely overcame double teams and I can't think of any other player in the league who was better blowing up the run than he was last season.

Unfortunately, he became a luxury we could no longer afford but I believe the amount of his new contract with the Giants accurately reflects fair value for a 3-4 Nose tackle with his game changing ability.

4. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Who spells snax like that?

FJF and dawinner127 like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/muhammad-wilkerson/

Details of Wilkerson's deal. Magnificent work by Maccagnan. He's pretty much cuttable after the third year if things go south in his production, right around the time Richardson will be due for a new deal (after being tagged for a year). This also gives us a great option of converting his base into bonus' to free up cap space. Of course that fully guarantees more of the deal, but if he's still producing by year 3 (and all indications are that he's a hard worker and obviously a hell of a player so that should ring true), then we'll be glad to guarantee more of his contract.

This is the best contract Maccagnan has signed and is far from cap-crippling. Perhaps we could end up being in the running for Kirk Cousins (if he follows up next year solidly) or old-man rivers Drew Brees next year if Hackenberg doesn't prove himself to be ready within a years time. It's good to note that Bridgewater, Carr, and Bortles are free agents the following year in 2018. Can't see them slipping away, but who knows.

Exciting news for Jets fans. I advocating trading Mo because I didn't see anything like this getting done and I didn't want to see us commit $100+ million to him. Glad we got the deal done that works out for both sides, and doesn't force us into having to re-sign Richardson, whom inevitably will want more money (or at least I'm assuming).

I'll add that this was one of the most bizarre contract negotiations I or the league has ever really seen. In the days of 24-hour news coverage, social media and round the clock news reporting, the fact that neither side leaked any of the negotiations is an astonishing and truly an anomaly. Props to his agent as well as our front office in what seemed to be a handshake agreement to stay silent.

#445 Jonathan_Vilma, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    Jake, hastygreen and LIJetsFan like this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Exactly, and I think the guys the Jets got this off-season aren't scrubs either. Hopefully we will say goodbye to the RB being a threat out of the backfield as well. This is the most versatile Jets defensive unit, I've seen in some time.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Nailed it. Davis is a horrible tackler, and takes bad angles. Maybe he'd be better served in David Harris' role, but I'm not sure if he's strong enough. You're right. He was not a fit to play off-tackle runs.

Big Cat likes this.
  8. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

I remember a number of times the play came right to Davis and the only thing he could do is be completely trucked. Matter of fact, Davis wasn't even trucked. Being trucked would imply he made a solid attempt at a tackle only to lose to a stronger player with more momentum.

What Davis did was slide off the tackle like the other guy was covered in WD-40. These types of plays were usually followed by him doing it, or something like it, again on the very next play.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  9. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

Altoona and whoever the hell gives those awful names to store brand and dollar store junk food.

Altoona likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

As much as everyone wants to blame the Eagles loss on Marshall's moronic play or Fitz' turnovers or even the punt return touchdown, it was much on Davis' inability to secure tackles on the edge and his horrible pass coverage. If we got a few more timely stops in the run game, we win that game. 220 pound Ryan Mathews danced around Demario Davis like he was a ballerina all day.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Was his success all Snacks, or was a large part of his success due to having Mo and Richardson on either side? I think we'll see this season just how good Snacks is or isn't.

12. NCJetsfan

I think he'll only leave if Woody stupidly fires him or gets too meddlesome and restrictive. With the job Mac is doing, I think he could just about name his price and have any number of clubs after him. Hopefully, Woody's not that stupid!

13. NCJetsfan

AMEN, brother!

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Hard to believe, but Wilkerson has never been to the playoffs. Hope that changes in 2016 for him, Marshall and Fitz!

Truth4U2 likes this.
  15. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

Leave it to the Jets to give 17 mil to a DE when they don't have jack shit under center.

16. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

^holy shit
    And here I was thinking there was no way to not like this move

Leave it to SOJF to find one

nyjetsknicks247 likes this.
  17. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Lmfao we don't have a qb to pay so how is spending money elsewhere a bad move?

18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Man, there's always somebody . . . .

matt robinson 17 and Royal Tee like this.
  19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

20. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

I think if you carefully review enough game film of our D-Line over the past three yesrs, you'll see plenty of evidence confirming Snacks having been a premier, if not elite quality 3-4 Nose Tackle for the Jets. You just have to watch it (him). One could similarly ask the question of to what degree were Mo's and Richardson's success and effectiveness a direct result of Snacks' contribution in the middle where he regularly took on 2-3 blockers per play.

#460 Altoona, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016