Mo Wilkerson: Is He Worth It?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenNYJ, May 6, 2015.

?

How do the NY Jets handle the Mo Wilkerson situation?

1. 1) Pay him exactly what he demands

14 vote(s)
    12.6%
  2. 2) Keep him only if the price is right

59 vote(s)
    53.2%
  3. 3) Trade him now and try to get multiple first round picks

15 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. 4) Put it off untill next offseason

23 vote(s)
    20.7%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Do you really think Mo is going to have a problem fitting into Bowles' schemes? I trust Bowles 1 zillion times more than I do Rex for knowing how to get the best out of his defensive players and putting them in a position to succeed. Bowles is smarter and more creative than Rex.

dmw likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't get what the fascination is with the 4-3. We don't have the LBers to play a 4-3, and we really don't have enough DL or the right size and speed DEs to play a 4-3. We have no fast 260-270 pound DEs. We only have one LB with any speed at all. A 4-3 would be an unmitigated cluster fuck imo.

3. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

Bowles said he would still be using a 3-4 despite drafting Williams, so don't you worry.

Although I like Rex a lot, I think so too. Judging his time as the DC in Arizona, he is more creative than Rex and reading about how he changed the whole scheme each week depending on the opponent seems huge. I remember reading somewhere that OC's couldn't use tape on Bowles' defenses because it didn't matter, he'd change everything week to week.

Nesquik and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. GangGreenNYJ

GangGreenNYJ Member

Hearing that he changed schemes to accommodate different teams play styles makes me very excited. I trust Bowles 100% with this defense and too get the most out of every player.

PabloJa likes this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

haha what contrast.

"Pay Mo what he wants so the team sees our FO takes care of their own"

and then this:

"WTF did we pay Harris all that money for?????"

My take on Mo is we absolutely want him on the team, and I think Bowles/Macc do too. Macc is being a good GM by squeezing Mo's agent, playing his strong hand, and getting Mo to sign for as little as possible. Every penny counts in the age of the salary cap.

dmw likes this.
  6. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Yeah he's worth it, he's the type of player that will just wreck the league for the next decade.

7. DRC™

DRC™ Active Member

I don't get why people keep saying the Jets have leverage over Wilkerson now. That would be true if his only option was the Jets. While the GM can say "we have another young guy at your position we can afford to lose you", Mo can say "there are other teams out there that want me. If you don't want to pay me, someone else will". The GM even admitted that there were teams contacting him about Mo.

In this situation I see nobody with leverage.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Trading a 25-year old DE, with his bright future ahead of himself, for a 30-year old RB?

Isn't that like human stupidity bonanza or something?

ADP or no ADP, I have never heard of such a moronic and stupid suggestion.

Simply put, Peterson's production WILL decrease from this moment on, if it didn't start already.

Wilkerson? His production WILL get better for the foreseeable future.

So Jets should get Peterson in lieu of Wilkerson - to get that illusion of [parity]? Really, how stupid can one get?

If it were left to me, I'd try to give him a new deal now - or if that fails, maybe next year after franchising him. Getting Wilkerson signed next offseason will be a gamble for both the organization and Wilkerson himself - if Williams doesn't show enough, Jets organization loses the leverage. [And vice versa.]

But, looking from Bowles' work at Arizona, I have more reason to believe that Williams will produce at a rather high level; so it's Wilkerson's money to lose. If he waits and Williams produces, then he really has no leverage whatsoever. Either he gets traded [at the expense of his reputation] or stay with the Jets while asking a little bit less.

#108 Zach, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
  9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

People seem to keep forgetting that I said we should trade Wilkerson for ADP and a draft pick.

I get that ADP has less value in a trade but the draft pick should make up for it.

My point is that adding ADP would vastly improve our offense while losing Wilk would not hurt our defense all that much.

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

A pick and ADP for Wilkerson?

And what incentive does Vikes have to go for that trade?

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

My reference to Williams in connection with Harris is based on the observation that DL rotations and mixing of sets mean it is more likely with Williams on the team that there will be less plays with Harris out there than before.

But yes, I feared at the time that they were overpaying Harris even before the draft. Right now I think his contract extension goes down as my least favorite move this off season so far.

jerseyjay14 likes this.
  12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Meh. Harris is too slow. He is not a third down LB, especially not when you want to have Coples, Wilk, Richardson and Harrison all in the game and now add Williams, too.

13. James Hasty

Well according to the naysayers they are getting a player entering his prime for a player that has "already begun to decline".

14. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Right now we have Wilkerson under contract for next year, and he can be tagged the following year.

Obviously tagging him is no guarantee, but if we do, Harris contract has no affect on Wilkerson because he'll be off the books.

15. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

For a regular guy like me and most of us , it's hard to really understand the thinking of a player who wants multiple 10s of millions for playing football for a few years. My thinking is: what's the difference btw 30M guaranteed and 40M guaranteed? Would he really feel cheated if he only got 30M guaranteed? I guess when you get to that level and you know other players making that kind of money and more, you have a very different perspective.

16. James Hasty

Davis Harris has his salary guaranteed for 2015 and 2016.

He does limit the cap space available to tag Wilkerson, sign our rookie class next year, keep our own free agents (including our top 2 QBs, Snacks, and Davis), and sign any outside free agents.

jerseyjay14 likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You still need sure-fire tacklers on the team. The Jets don't have to keep him in on every third down, there could be packages where he goes after the QB; or there are packages when he's off the field - they don't have to put him in coverage. Bowles for a good portion of the year had a 34 year old Larry Foote playing major reps.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You have to remember, the cap is increasing each year. Teams will find ways to free up cap space in 2015, by pushing payments from this year to next off-season. If I have to choose between keeping Snacks or keeping Wilkerson - I am keeping Wilkerson 100%.

Who the hell cares about our top 2 QBs lol - they won't be on this team in the near future.

19. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I think Harris got paid because of his leadership, toughness and tenure with us Mac and Bowles seem to really like football guys and Harris is that, i guess his value is that at this point in his career, since he isn't a 3 down backer anymore.

20. James Hasty

Harris got paid because Rex was willing to pay top dollar to steal him from us.

The threat was real.

I think we should have tried harder replace him but I can live with his contract.