MLF

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JackBower, Oct 23, 2022.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Frankly I think MILF did a solid job in this game. And Zach is not as bad as some say. To me he seems average NFL QB, factoring the competition. Receivers also got open more than against GB. But OLine had a terrible outing in Denver. If they gave Zach just a little but more time, we could have won more easily. But I see Zach pressured almost immediately on many of the throws. Surely he could have done better too, but I think OLIne was the main problem in Denver, not Zach or MILF. Losing AVT does not help much either for the future.

2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I seriously hope you're wrong. If Zach thought Conklin was his best read on that play then he's a lot farther behind than I thought.

CD is breaking wide open with no defenders within 5 yards of him while Conklin is essentially running into double coverage.

Finally, wouldn't Conklin slowing down indicate that he's not intended to be the primary read on this play and is essentially acting as a decoy? I feel like he slows down so that he can try to chip the middle zone safety after CD makes the catch to give him some more YAC opportunity.

But again, without being in that meeting room and reviewing the film with them, either of us could be right.

Noam and stinkyB like this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I keep thinking this thread is about Myra.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Please don't disrespect the deceased....

abyzmul likes this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Couldn’t agree more.

6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I agree with KY Jets Fan here. He just sailed the throw.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I definitely agree with the bold.

And again, I've qualified my assessment of this throw as just my observation. Maybe it was just a plain old fashion shitty throw. Not like even the best QBs don't have them.

But it's gotten to the point where it seems if Zach doesn't have a completion % of 100, some people will say he has problems with his accuracy. Yes, I know that's an exaggeration but when posters - and some internet analysts - keep using the same relative handful of bad throws to justify their assessment that "Zach has problems with his accuracy", it's such a blanket statement - unqualified, implying that he has problems on all of his throws, my use of hyperbole seems appropriate.

For the thousandth time, Zach does need to improve his accuracy. But he has improved it, so it's reasonable to expect that he will continue to improve it. Will that happen on the timetable of some posters? Not likely. Does that "prove" that he's inaccurate? Nope.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Zach has to do better with the pre-snap reads. You can’t hike the ball on playaction knowing you have a unblocked blitzing LB coming to your backside. That’s not the OL fault.

In time, he’ll get better at it we can hope.

9. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Let's get Zach on the move more, and not not just because the play is busted and he's running for his life. Roll him out sometimes. Side comment others have probably made already: When I saw "MLF" I assumed it was another Zach's mothers friends thread.

10. burf

burf Well-Known Member

It may be something as simple as, since the team is winning, Zach doesn't want to be the one making mistakes... so, he's in his head, feeling the pressure. A few quick hits, on his first series, might be all he needs to calm down. Hopefully, MLF can come up with something, early, to settle him down.

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It was pretty bold to come out passing against the Broncos on that first series...

First five drives were three & outs... except the Breeze td drive... which was there plays as well.

Not saying we have to score on every drive... but it'd be nice to shave some clock since we're now officially a ground & pound team...:confused:

12. burf

burf Well-Known Member

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

MLF is goin up against one of the modern masters in BB so with any luck, he won't try to outsmart himself and just taylor the offense to the flow of the game. MLF can make his bones on Sunday and help Zach out by calling quick developing plays. Our OL needs to show up and play well too. Just because AVT isn't there doesn't give them Sunday off.

cval and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

15. Cman68

I just hope he can keep Zach's throws quick. If Zach has to throw more than 20-25 times, we're gonna have real problems as our ground game would be ineffective. MLF has to understand that we're now a smashmouth football team first, pass second. He needs to establish the run first even if it takes 2 qtrs to do it.

16. ColoradoContrails

I don't think having MLF knowing he has to establish the run is a problem. Establishing the pass is a bigger one.

Cman68 likes this.
  17. Cman68

That's the scary part. BB will devise some exotic coverages to confuse Zach. I think using the run to set up the pass is the way to go.

stinkyB and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

I think that's the script they've been trying to follow so far, although against Denver the split was something like 29 pass plays to 21 or 22 runs. IDK how much of that was due to them losing Breece though.

Part of me - the unconventional risk taking part - would like to see them just turn Zach loose completely and let him "sandlot" it which I think would cross BB up completely. Or it could go terribly wrong. I think they're going to continue to keep the handcuffs on Zach and ask him not to lose the game and lean heavily on the defense and special teams - it's gotten them 4 straight wins.

Cman68 likes this.
  19. Cman68

Once Zach becomes a master at game management, THEN unleash him and see what happens.. Our run game will drop off just a bit, but the replacements can more than hold their own. I look for our run game again to be almost dominant. Bam, MC1, Ty and JR should wear down the NEP Dline which will make things easier for Zach IF he has to pass a lot late in the game. Zach is still learning NFLQB 101.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Need to call plays that will neutralize Matt Judson or he will be on Zach every other play…I’m sure BB will find our weakest link on OL and unleash Judson…that guy is good and he’s killed us in the past. Misdirection, jet sweeps, I’d like to see more runs that aren’t straight into the middle of the line for two yards on first down…

crossing routes, bubble screens, get Zach some easy completions early

ColoradoContrails, Cman68 and cval like this.