MLF

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JackBower, Oct 23, 2022.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I don't think he's perfect. I absolutely think there is room for improvement.

I just don't think he's bad by any stretch of the imagination. He has done plenty enough, scheme and play call wise to win us the game as a play caller.

You can't ask for much more than that.

I just don't want to go back to trash at the position. Which, we've been accustomed to for over a decade now.

I'm not interested In losing this scheme as a fan. It's nice. It works. It's productive and effective with even just average play at the QB position.

Does he get too cute at times? Yeah. I'd agree.

However. If those plays works, he looks like a genius.

So, I think it's just a matter of time before we see that consistency we want on offense.

I like MLF and I respect how he sets things up. The scheme Is great. I don't want to lose that.

All I know.

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Wtf

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Just like the entire CS, MLF is learning on the job too and he will improve as time goes on and his personnel becomes more skilled. Right now though, it shows sometimes that he's still new to being an OC. Does he have a future in the position? I'd say so.. Will it happen overnight? No.. Gradually it will though...

4. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I've said it before... the Jets will never have a successful O that can score against a good D, as long as MLF is OC.
    He can call a successful cute play now & then, but otherwise, he's clueless in utilizing all the talent he has.
    How many times in the redzone today? Other OC's go for the endzone, MLF too often plays scared, & too cute.
    And down at the goal line, how about going over the top? Or what about using their bowling ball, Robinson?
    Why always Barrios, instead of even Mims at the goal... he's tall, & a decent blocker? To me, just play football... keep it simple... & score. MLF sucks, will always suck, & unfortunately, all the talent JD has put at MFL's disposal, will be wasted.

5. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

He gets too cute down in the red zone. He's also in charge of the personnel on the field. Berrios shouldn't have been in that position. A guy we almost never throw to is in the spot on the field that is most likely getting the ball thrown to him in a five wide formation. And the Wilson play was the definition of getting too cute. You're at the 1, just ram it in there out of a 2 TE set or give White a higher percentage throw to make than throwing it up on a 1 yard corner route.

As you've said, the scheme is good. I've said that for a while as well, and I've defended LaFleur often as well. Just didn't think he had it today inside the 20. He did a decent job between the 20s, for what it's worth.

6. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Or a competent, aggressive, experienced OC.

Jedi mind tricks and Cman68 like this.
  7. IIMeanDeanII

My opinion to you doesn't matter at all. Which, Is fine. My opinion matters to me and I'm not a very dumb fella. In my opinion.

What's there to debate?

Adam Gase wasn't a genius... He rode the coat tails of Payton Manning, and achieved not one but two HC jobs In this league because of It.

You'd rather have Adam Gase running our offense, that's your stance?

Find me a game In the Jets Adam Gase era that was better offensively at any point than the the loss today. I doubt you can.

8. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Whoa let's not get carried away here :D

9. IIMeanDeanII

Why not?

Up until this point, Berrios has proven to be very reliable for us. It didn't work out today but to think It was dumb to have him In that position Isn't taking into the whole picture of things.

A 1v1 matchup with what Garret has proven this far, Isn't being cute. It's trusting your guy to win you the game. I don't hate It. At all. MLF had options. If Garret doesn't slip and makes that catch, we are praising the okay.

Just didn't work out and you want to trust to our guys In those spots. You think that play call Is bad for the Vikings OC with Justin Jefferson, In that same spot?

I don't. I think I'd be saying the opposite.

Again. MLF can be better but I didn't hate any of the RDZ play calling there at the end. It just didn't pan out.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Jets need to come out every game and throw a couple bombs down field and hope for the best. Teams are going to sit on all of the short shit with White if you don’t loosen them up. Incompletions are fine but the threat of it being there will help and maybe you get a PI early.

White has plenty of arm to loft the ball down field. They’re putting him in too much of a short quick throwing box and the defense sat on that all day.

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Not a great game plan for today, but I still say he's far better than anyone we've had for a while.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

They really don't try to draw flags downfield as much as successful teams. In their defense, it seems like the Jets WRs that aren't fast enough to get separation are getting mugged on every play and no calls. It wasn't just this game, I saw it against the Bears and Pats.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Corey Davis blows at contested balls so they don’t try. Elijah Moore is a smurf so he’s useless in those scenarios and Wilson does too much work everywhere else to waste him on that. So that leaves Mims.

I agree though. They really don’t run plays where they give the QB a chance to check with me and run a bomb if they recognize single coverage. They need to do more of that.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  14. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

If he were more of a part of the offense, then I'd feel differently about it. I don't like going to a guy who is essentially "cold" in that kind of moment. And by that, I mean a guy we're not throwing to much, if at all. He's a gadget guy who is at that point being asked to make a huge play to win the game. I just have more trust in the other receivers in that moment than I do Berrios. Put one of the other guys in that position, considering you're most likely to go to the #3 on the trips side in that situation and formation.

I don't like the call even if it works, to be honest, so I wouldn't have liked the call itself were I a Vikings fan on the same play to Jefferson, even if I would like the result if it worked. I've never been a believer in doing a whole lot of passing down by the goal line, especially from the 1. I'd rather go 2 or 3 TE and try ramming it up in there. Would it have worked? Obviously, there's no way to say for certain, but it feels more high percentage to do either that or give White a run/pass option on a play action boot then trying a fade to the back corner of the endzone.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  15. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I specifically said Gase on the dolphins. Around their peak was better than what we are seeing now.

Gase was trash, but he also did better on seasons than MLF currently.

16. IIMeanDeanII

I appreciate your input. I just disagree.

Berrios has been consistent for a long time. I can't remember him have a drop of that caliber. Ever. I'm still good with that there. He should've made the catch, cold or not. It was there to be had.

Teams rely on their big play WR all the time. You consistently see that play being run by all the top offenses In the league. All the time. Every single week.

Wilson just slipped, he knew he had an opportunity. You could tell In his body language.

You can always just run It up the middle and think that's the only way to skin a cat. It's not.

It didn't work out. It sucks.

BUT

Again. As an OC. You need them to draw up plays within the scheme to give the players an opportunity to execute and get points.

MLF did that. Players just didn't execute and get It done.

I'm not even super down on the players, to me, It's an anomaly, most of the times this year. Especially In the 4th. Our players have done a great job of executing.

Just didn't happen today.

Unfortunate.

I don't blame MLF though. Sure, he could've been better, but, he wasn't the reason we lost this game. IMO.

jets_fan and CotcheryFan like this.
  17. IIMeanDeanII

Okay. Good talk. Have a good night, Fella.

18. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

You as well bro. Wish all wins were this easy

19. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

He’s ok between the 20’s but his red zone calling sucks. He also needs to stop with the cutesy shit on 3rd (and 4th down). Saleh needs to give him the Zach speech that sometimes boring is ok.

20. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

This team needs to get Tom Moore back, he made Sanchez look good in the RedZone