MisterMoss' and T-Bird's (pg. 2) Training Camp Report and Photos 7/28 Morning

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MisterMoss, Jul 28, 2006.

1. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Down you go.
    [​IMG]

2. nyjetsjetsjets

nyjetsjetsjets New Member

Just curious. What type of offensive formations are we running? I read the question about Askew.....but what about our other designated FB's? Lastly, what about Pope?

3. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

Offensive formations, the one things I don't remember is seeing a shotgun formation. I'm trying to remember one, but I really can't. I saw a bunch WR formation. That's all I remember at this point.

Pope, for one reason or another I have a plus sign next to his name on the roster sheet, so he must've stood out at some point in the practice, but I can't remember in what manner to be honest with you :wink:

Maybe Tbird can help you out with that one.

4. 1028

1028 Active Member

Well, for what its worth, Im going to TC next Thursday, so Ill be sure to type up a report of my own. I usually focus on the defense, especifically the DBs and the 'backers, so Ill try to get that in for the board

But I dont mean to steal your guys thunder either, great reports :beer:

5. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

Living in Vegas and still a season tix holder (4), I'd like to say THANK YOU MisterMoss for the great post and update.

6. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

You guys are the best, I've been waiting a hell of a long time for REAL football news. Kudos to Moss and TBJ!

7. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

Actually, it'd be a cool idea if the TGG members who are going to TC all focus on different parts of the team, and then combine all your observations for a more comprehensive evaluation. Just an idea.

Anyway, thanks for the awesome reports nevertheless.

8. 1028

1028 Active Member

I think I might go with Kurt, wholl probably focus on the line. Thats his specialty, this is mine. And Im sure therell be plenty of other people watching the skill positions. So there you go :up:

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

very nice posts guys - did either of you see Brad Smith get any burn at receiver?

10. VinnyAndTheJets88

VinnyAndTheJets88 New Member

i actually attend hofstra and was thinking about going to practice on monday which i read was at 2pm - do u have any advice about how early i should get there or any scheduling information that would be useful? they only use the dome when the weather is bad, correct?

11. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Tremendous work MM...great post...and great pictures.

Tbird can never do wrong and as usual...was right on with so many of his comments. You guys did an outstanding job..and its kind of sad that I, around this time of the year, look forward to the posts of tgg members about camp much more than the local media.

Great great job.

12. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I guess that's sad, but it just makes me so proud of tgg.

13. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Yer makin me blush! :smile: heck, I enjoy posting about TC as much as I like going! Let's see if I can answer some questions....

O formations: Some 2 TE sets, quite a few 1 RB sets, and yes, they did run some 2 RB sets, but frankly, I did not catch who was in there at FB. I didn't see any passes to the FB that I can recall. there were also some 4 WR sets, but not many, and very little shotgun, if any. Lots of runs, mostly between the tackles and off tackle, not too many outside rushes as I recall, which is a bit surprising given the new O line make-up. Only about 4 deep passes, but flairs, short hooks and short over the middle stuff seemed to be called a lot. There were a few deep hooks.... and Clemens looked very good throwing those.

I skipped the 5:30.... with that nasty T storm, I figure they went inside, and yes, that's the only time they go inside.... bad weather, as far as I know. For the Monday practice.... I'd say get there at 1:45, bring something to drink. If you get sunburned easilly, pretend yer not a wimp, but bring a sun umbrella. I got fried today. Mangini seems to prefer the main field with the bleachers for 11 on 11's, but they use both fields extensively.

What I REALLY liked..... what they did with the O line. They moved Clements around, RT, RG and LG. I think he got some few snaps at LT too. Building depth. Unlike last year, Kendall is getting snaps at center, along with Mangold. I don't recall Moore being anywhere other than RG. Jones took snaps at RT mostly, but had a few at LT too. Those were all on the first team. Mangini won't repeat Herms mistake of not having a backup center that can complete the exchange without unforced fumbles.

Try and keep track of all this.... and have someone ask how player X was doing! I sort of like the idea of some of us focusing on one or two areas. hard to coordinate, but I like the idea. It actually takes some discipline to watch TC and not watch it like a game.... trying to focus on one aspect. You miss plays when you do that. Besides that, as I said, trying to observe interior line play at field level is a bitch.

I hope to have more insightfull stuff down the road.... today was really just to see who the starters and 1st team rotation guys were, watch the QB's, watch the schemes.... stuff like that. That was more than a plateful today!

14. Love the updates, TBird.

From what you saw, how did A Jones look? Does he look like he bulked up alil from last year? How did the starting OL look run blocking?

15. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Kurt, you've been to camp.... and you are the resident expert on line play. How the heck can you see how these guys are doing from field level? I tried on many occassions to observe the Mangold/robertson/Pouha matchup, but just too many bodies obscure the view.

They ran everything with the offense on the right.... so Jones was on the far side. Very hard to see WTH is happening on that side. Beisdes that, I never did see Jones up close, so no comment on how he looked either. To make it more difficult, they ran everything from the bleacher field, so I couldn't even get behind the offense from a distance to watch the line play. The bleachers just aren't high enough to get a clear view either.

It looked to me like the line had some success opening holes, but I do think Pouha shut much of that down when he was in.... the run D looked better to me when Pouha was in overall, but again, very hard to watch any one on one interior line battles from such a low angle. You are going... what day? 227 and I are going to both sessions on Tuesday, and he's from Jersey, so we're going back to my place for a burger for lunch and to kill some time. I plan on going on Monday as well.... you going to any of those sessions? I'd love to hook up with you for a practice. PM me if you want.

16. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Talk about a work load. I'm glad this isn't mandatory.

17. twinjetfan

twinjetfan New Member

Wow, props to MM and T-Bird. I wish I could go to Jets camp. :sad: I did go to Eagles Camp today with my brother and friends, which was fun. And about the lack of water service, after the morning practice they were giving out FREE cups of Turkey Hill Eagles Touchdown Sunday, which was very good.

BTW, has anyone heard from Petro lately? I know he has been pretty busy with other stuff, but when is the new website coming out? I'm sure Petro will put his pics/reports on the front page as well as others.

18. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

19. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

Great read thanks alot! It makes me feel like I was there watching it.

20. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Hey for the guys who went, I'm curious as to just how imposing Ed Blanton is in person- the guy's stats are off the chart- is he a beast of what?