MisterMoss' and T-Bird's (pg. 2) Training Camp Report and Photos 7/28 Morning

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MisterMoss, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Ten

Ten Active Member

Great stuff Mistermoss.10 out of 10

2. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

Are you going to do the afternoon training camp rundown too? I think today was two-a-day:) Awesome post MM!

3. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

I won't be going this afternoon. I'll be busy. If I wake up in time, I'll be going Sunday morning, and a few times next week.

Man, Chad really looked bad. He was the worst QB on the field today. It's really a shame. At the same time, I'm really excited about Clemens. The fans started getting on his side too. He'll be starting at some point this year.

4. 10nyjets87

10nyjets87 New Member

Ellis looks like a monster in a helmet.

5. ColezDeep!

ColezDeep! New Member

Seriously! Where did his beer belly go??

6. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

His belly left with Herman Edwards.

I am very sad to hear about Pennington. I didn't think he could come back, but I wanted him to. From reading all the articles over the offseason, you almost caught a ray of hope that maybe he would come back. If he was as bad as you say he was, and I have no reason to not believe you, then he is done. What a damn shame.

7. 1028

1028 Active Member

I really cant f'in wait to see how Clemens progresses

Great report MM!
    :up:

EDIT: How did Robertson look?

#27 1028, Jul 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2005
  8. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Great post, MisterMoss! I'm planning on going Tuesday and now I can't wait!

Great writeup... this board needs this kind of thing.

9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Great post, MM. Way too early to really know anything, of course, but your report on CP is discouraging for him, to say the least.

10. ColezDeep!

ColezDeep! New Member

Yes...too bad about CP...but this is the first practice and it was in full pads and he did complete a bomb to Cotchery for a TD.

11. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Mark Cannizaro says chad p looked pretty good, at least compared to last year.

12. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I went to camp today too.... and there are differences in our reports, but it really isn't all that easy remembering all the facts and getting them perfect.... having said that, here's my impression:

Just got back from Jets camp. If I called Edwards' camp "Camp Marshmellow", I gues I have to call Mangini's "Camp Concrete". This was part I of a 2-a-day, and they ran 2 and a half hours of non stop activity. I'll get to the meat, and do more fluff later.

Rhodes and Colman were the first team safeties, Miller, Dyson and Barrett rotated at the corners. Barrett got burnt on a long TD pass, Cotchery. Mister Moss has a different take on this play, I was pretty sure that it was Barrett that got burnt. In fact, when I looked to see what the heck happened to the safety on that play, the closest guy was Vilma. I'm pretty sure I have that call right, it was right in front of me on the sideline. Like I said, sometimes it's tough to get it all perfect, with no disrespect to MM meant at all, for an awsome report. I wasn't sure who threw that ball. Lots of contact today, some hard tackles... Hobson had several.

Barton and Vilma played the ILB, and Bryan Thomas, Trevor Johnson, Chatam and Hobson rotated at the OLB spots. They gave Johnson a lot of time in there, as well as at DE in the 4-3. The CS are looking at him very hard, but I'm not sure what to make of it. When the LB's and DL's split up, Thomas went with the LB's, Johnson with the DL's. Thomas looked good in coverage in the flat, stayed with his man and broke up some plays. Johnson seemed to be used more as a rush LB.

Schlegel and Kassel got some snaps at ILB too. Smith seems to be safety #3. I barely noticed Mickens, but Strait appears to be CB #4.

Sutton ran much more 3-4 than 4-3, and Ellis, Robertson and von Oelhoffen are clearly the front 3 starters. Pouha showed up today, and did a nice job on several plays, getting praise from both coaches and players. I still think this guy can develop into a bona-fide 3-4 NT. He looked good today.

Vilma took a Pennigton pass to the house, and Rhodes dropped an INT. There was another INT, but I'm not sure who threw it, or who got the ball. Oh well, you can't catch everything at TC's.... it happens.

There was a rotation on the practice KO's and punts (very few of the later), just fielding the ball, not full squad drills. The rotation was Coleman, Tim Dwight, Brad Smith (the converted QB) Leon Washington and Cotchery. Blaylock took a few as well. I'd have to say that Westoff and Mangini will look at all of them at this point. I still have to think Miller is the favorite for KR, unless he becomes the every down starter at CB, then that could change. Washington looked very quick and could be the dark horse here. Dwight probably has the inside track for punt returns.

The reports on Clemens having a so-so arm are bogus. He threaded the needle on a short, maybe 12 yard pass that was shot out of a cannon. He also threw one about 60 yards in the air, down the right sideline for an incomplete, but he put it where only the reciver had a shot at it. He also had a beauty on a sidleine hook that went 25-30 yards with zip on it. Kid sure looks like the real deal. He only threw one ugly looking pass all day. A wobbler about 35 yards down the middle.

Penny.... poor Chad. He's still throwing ducks. He did have some zip on several passes, but he still has those passes that just float, resulting in overthrows. Ramsey has too much arm. He still overthrows open recivers. Bolly had a decent day, nothing spectacular, but a workman-like showing, just solid.

I wasn't all that impressed with Blaylock today, to be honest. Houston on the other hand, looked VERY good to me, noticably faster than he was last year. Last year he was clearly slower than all the other RB's, he's looking better speed wise. He knocked some people on their arses today, and didn't go down on first contact. Leon Washington also looked good to me, very shifty, good speed.

Finally, a HC that gets it. Kendall never took a snap at center last year, but he did today, along with Mangold on the first team. Clements played some guard, as did Mangold. I don't think one injury on the O line is going to screw the whole unit up again, like it did last year. I don't have much on Ferguson either....

Now, for some fluff. This camp is all business. In past camps, there wasn't anywhere near as much stretching, and half the players didn't do much. In contrast, they looked like the Rockettes out there. No fooling around, coaches all active, helping players stretch, correcting technique and doing at least 3 times the number of excersizes I'd seen in previous years.

Drills... tons of them. WR's and RB's going one on one with DB's and LB's in full "tackle the ball carrier" drills. Lots of flat pylon stepping drills. Tons of contact. While I wanted to see a tougher camp.... I hope Mangini doesn't kill them before the season starts. His coaching style is on the quiet side, no screaming and yelling, but a lot of one on one conversations with players. Schottenheimer was hard to even notice.... very low key, all business. Sutton, the promoted DC was a little more vocal, and was in control.

There is a tremendous contrast between this camp and previous ones I've seen. These guys had to feel like they played a full game, but they will be back out there at 5:30 this evening. I'm undecided if I'm going to that session. It was brutal hot in the bleachers.... I shook Cedric Houston's hand, the kid was absolutely drenched in sweat. He could barely talk.

I have to think this evening's practice will be more of the instructional type.... I don't see how the players could go through another workout like this one. Maybe more ST's stuff, of which there was very little, other than these 3 on 3 blocking drills that looked like KO blocking and return drills to me, full contact, some big hits, pads popping.

Last thoughts.... most impressed with Clemens, Houston and Mangold on offense. On D, it was our new hybrid DE/LB's, Thomas and Johnson, along with... yep, Pouha. While it was hard to see the play for me, Pouha got a lot of "after the play" head slaps from his team mates. I also heard the coaches handing him some "atta boys". These were after up the middle running plays that got stuffed at the line.

Not near as good a report as Mr Moss, but it's what I got! :drunk:

13. Jetsandcanes

Jetsandcanes Active Member

awesome report! looking forward to getting more reviews from you. shaun ellis looks like a beast!

14. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

Not sure what to say about him. A couple of fans actually tried booing him. He tried throwing a deep out route. Failed miserably. He's wayyyy behind.

15. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

T-bird, thanks for keeping this all is one thread. I made a note of it in the title. I appreciate it.

#35 MisterMoss, Jul 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2005
  16. Section 227. Row 5

MM,

The most disturbing thing about your post is your observations on Chad Pennington. This is very reminiscent of what I saw and reported last year. In fact, it sounds like he's right back to where he was in August of 2005... underthrowing... nothing with any velocity... even his short passes subject to INT's, all while displaying immense rust.

It is truly sad... this is going to turn out be one of the biggest decisions Mangini has to make early in the season and will tell us what the man has in the Gonads Department. And it's a decision that needs be made soon, so that whoever the selected starting QB is can get enough time with the first team with a lot of reps, otherwise you've got 4 guys with 25% time each.

It sounds like Chad didn't help his chances any this morning and if last year is any indication of how long it'll take him to be "89.5% ready," as Herm put it last August, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Glad to hear Ramsey has at least as deep an arm as Clemmins does. It sounds like (From what you say) that it could boil down to a contest between the two. Mangini has to know we can't do squat on offense if we can't stretch the opposing DEF.

17. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

Hey T-Bird. I never said anything about who beat Cotchery. I actually don't remember who he beat, so I never mentioned it. Hehe

Great report. You're better with the technical stuff than I am, so I'm glad someone was able to step up in that department :up:

18. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

thanks for the recaps, some great stuff

19. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Damn Cannizaro! That fool said its already just a 2 man race at qb!! Was he even watching Training Camp lol.

Thanks for the reports fellas, I don't live in NY and I don't have a chance in hell to see them playing myself so I need reports like these to tell me what's really going on. I hope Cotchery and Houston do develop into guys we can rely on not only this season but for the next 5, and then some.

20. Section 227. Row 5

Are you kidding me? Your report was terrific. I'm going Tuesday, pal, but don't expect me to compete with a report like this afterwards. You and Moss should be Sportswriters instead of the POS writers we have covering the Jets.

Let's email one another Monday with last minute details on Tuesday. Hope it's not going to be this ungodly hot and humid!