Mike White Contract 2022

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 88toon, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The reference to draft position was implicit with his comment that this season was not about winning games, it was all about getting Wilson experience. The NFL is all about winning games.

Herm Edwards "You play to win the game!" - YouTube

papapump likes this.
  2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Bledsoe missed most of the season, it wasn’t a 1.5 game replacement.

3. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Not completely, but White did learn a lot by also watching the game unfold. I do believe that Wilson would benefit with this approach, and his ability to absorb it.

However at this point White gives us a better shot to win. As a fan I surely want to see improvement, but I definitely want to see is win the game, that’s why I watch the game.

JD, and Saleh have to care about a #2 pick as they should. But if Wilson goes back out to soon, and continues his previous play the fans will make his life miserable. I have no doubt that he will become our QB, however wins will keep the pressure off JD & Saleh.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  4. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I think it’s clear that everyone believes Wilson is the future for the Jets. What is best for the Jets and Wilson right now is debatable and I’ll leave it up to JD, Saleh and LeFluer to decide than trust myself and Jets fans on what the next best move.

I am happy with White’s progress and hopefully he s the real deal and be a decent back up fo ZW in the future. IMO, it is hard to remove White (if he’s ready for his next start) and should start while ZW continues to study and fully recovers physically. It doesn’t mean that ZW doesn’t play again or start again. To say that ZW has done no wrong is a little worrisome. I worry about his psyche if he comes back quickly and falters.

papapump and ouchy like this.
  5. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

There's this idea that I only seem to see around the Jets that if a player isn't playing right away then they're not the future. He can sit and learn and still be the future.

papapump and ouchy like this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Even if White continues his level of play he is very likely not our future because he cant stay healthy.

Lets look at this. He has been injured two of the three games he's played this season, and got hurt in the one preseason game he played. Thats coming out of 3 out of the 4 games he appeared in because of injuries. Its also worth noting the injuries the last two games looked like pretty mild contact. Does a anyone remember the beating Zach took in Carolina? That would have probably ended White's season. I like the guy but it appears he is not very durable, and if anything would be a more suited to a backup. I wouldn't rush to get FQB stars in our eyes about him because he cant stay on the field.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, he could sit and learn and still be the future. That isn't the point. The point is that Zach did nothing to lose his starting job. If he hadn't gotten injured, he would still be starting. He is far more talented than White. This whole season was planned around playing and developing Zach, so it makes ZERO sense to not play him when he's healthy again. You don't sit a supremely-talented QB behind a JAG QB unless the former isn't ready to play, and that isn't the case with Zach. One learns more by doing than by sitting and watching. It's also one thing to sit and watch someone else do something, but quite another to do it yourself.

Zach should be starting and he will start, thankfully.

8. NCJetsfan

The reaction of some Jets fans to White is nothing short of irrational and nuts imo. It would be funny if it weren't so sad and misguided. After one excellent game from a game manager-type QB, they're ready to appoint him the "savior" and scrap the plan by the FO and CS for the season. SMH

rickjet likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

If the Jets had signed or traded for a quality veteran QB and had Zach sit this year, I would have had no problem with that. I do have a problem with sitting Zach behind a much lesser-talented QB, who is a game manager type at best, and who has less starting and playing experience in the NFL than Zach during the regular season. That's absurd.

It's hilarious that you're ready to crown White as giving us a better chance to win than Zach based on one game, and in that game you haven't seen him throw a pass over 20 yards. I have a news flash for you, that won't win a lot of games in the NFL. If you were a fan during the days of Chad Pennington, you should know that. For all we know, if White hadn't gotten injured vs the Colts, he may have thrown 3-4 interceptions and we lost by an even bigger margin.

By starting White and pushing Zach off to next season you slow down Zach's progress and the team's progress. The struggles he could be having this season while all the other youngsters struggle and the team's losing anyway, you're possibly pushing off until next season when hopefully the other young players will be playing a lot better and not struggling. This season is NOT about wins and losses. It doens't matter what you want or what I want. It's about what's best for the team's future, and that means having Zach on the field so he and the offense can learn and grow together through the adversity, and strengthen their bonds. Then next season they'll be ready to hit the ground running, not having to get used to Zach again after White this season.

Also, while the whole team is struggling is the best time to let Zach figure things out, and the team might as well benefit from those struggles by getting the best draft picks they can. In the future, hopefully, they won't be drafting anywhere near the top 10 again. They ought to maximize the potential of those picks since they have two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks. It would be totally dumb to win several meaningless games and wind up drafting much lower and missing out on players that could put them over the top, just to satisfy short-sighted, impatient fans who want to put the cart before the horse.

If the fans were to make Zach's life miserable, then they aren't really fans imo. They are jerks and should be banned from attending games.

There is no pressure on JD this season. The only reason there is pressure on Saleh is because he has done a crappy job getting the team prepared to play, and most of the games they haven't even been competitive, and his D has been awful. If Saleh was doing a better job and the whole team was improving, he would have no pressure. Because the offense is improving that should ease some of the pressure since they were so awful early.

10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Are you out of your mind??? This is truly an absurd statement. Good Lord.

horsehead and Ralebird like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

I disagree. Totally! It would be one thing if it was a player who was dogging it like that CB that Mac signed to a huge contract and then who loafed and didn't care. But to make a rookie's life miserable, when he's busting his butt and doing his best, is totally boorish, jerkish behavior. If you can't see that, then you're the one with the problem.

rickjet likes this.
  12. bicketybam

You can't ban fans for booing. Come on. I didn't say I like it but your comment was ridiculous.

Ralebird likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

14. NCJetsfan

Perhaps not, but if I owned the team I'd sure want to.

15. bicketybam

Always a good business model to prohibit customers from purchasing your product. :D

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Put the crack pipe down!? Lol ok. Have no idea why you are talking like that but it’s not necessary. Crazy respect for you as a poster but calm down dude. You can have a discussion without garbage like that

IIMeanDeanII and Ralebird like this.
  17. bicketybam

This is a very good point. Josh Allen finished the season with a 67.9 passer rating, which is not very good. But as you pointed out, when he was healthy he played. Did the Bills make a mistake? Anyone claiming that White should continue to start must think that what Buffalo did in 2018 certainly wasn't the right move, right?

18. NCJetsfan

If I was a billionaire and owned a team worth billions or hundreds of million, I don't think I would really care about those who were intent on acting like jerks. I could be mistaken, but I think most of the true fans would appreciate it. I know I've seen posters here complain about fans booing the team.

19. NCJetsfan

Sorry if it offended you. I wasn't upset or angry with you. I don't seriously think you or anyone here smokes crack, and I repsect you. I just thought the thought of starting White over Wilson was off the wall, especially after one or one and less than a quarter games, and we didn't even see him throw a pass over 20 yards.

20. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

More harm can be done to Zach by starting him next week than sitting him.

It should be a no brainer decision.
    You start White period. If Zach starts and gets destroyed you are going to be
    moving into the same territory we ended up with Darnold.

White looks like shit and gets destroyed, no harm - he has shown he can be a capable backup.
    If White starts and looks good, it gives Zach the perspective of competent QB play in the offense.

Starting White next week. In no way means you are giving up on Zach.