Mike White Arm Strength

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Nov 28, 2022.

1. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

Who cares about his mobility he makes a decision in 2 seconds, if he gets sacked 8 times a game and completes 70% of his passes hes still gonna beast. It's better than some moron running back 20 yards every play and throwing the ball away or think he is michael Vick, or throwing the ball in the dirt every play or throwing it to the other team. Mike White is the best Qb we got right now so let him play.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

arm strength was never a knock. here is his bio

By Lance Zierlein
    NFL Analyst
    Draft Projection
    Rounds 3-4
    NFL Comparison
    Zach Mettenberger
    Overview
    White saw major downturns in every important passing category this year, but evaluators will have to balance his inconsistent play against the porous protection he got. White has good size and a live arm which is enough to get him drafted, but if he doesn't do a better job of recognizing blitzes and making decisions faster, his arm talent won't matter. White has QB3 potential with a shot to move up the ladder as a backup.
    Strengths
    • Arm talent is the first thing you notice
    • Former high school pitcher with 90 MPH fastball who can crank up that heat when he needs to
    • Has good drive accuracy
    • Able to push the ball into tight windows
    • Has velocity and accuracy to attack the middle of the field
    • Can alternate between heat and touch
    • Throws catchable deep ball and has ability to drop it over a cornerback's head down the sideline
    • Can be dangerous from the pocket when he's protected
    • Completed 57 percent of his deep throws when protection was better in 2016
    • Resets feet before throwing when he leaves the pocket
    • Asked to make full-field reads at times
    Weaknesses
    • Heavy feet take time to set up in the pocket
    • Struggled to deal with poor protection
    • Lacks feel for pressure off the edges and drops his eyes when he sees pocket push
    • Pocket mobility is poor
    • Was responsible for his share of the 46 sacks
    • Sluggish processor when initial reads are covered
    • Stayed on covered targets rather than finding better options
    • Relies too heavily on arm over anticipation
    • Looks lethargic when trying to roll and throw
    • Fumbled 12 times this year and 17 times over two seasons
    Sources Tell Us

"I'm having a hard time with him because his protection was just so bad. Some of those sacks were his but sometimes he didn't even have a chance. I'm going to keep him alive because he's a talented passer and he's got size." -- AFC team regional scout

in short it was mobility, pocket awareness, and reading a play and progressing. so far he's doing all that well. he's improved a lot. last year he struggled with accuracy on intermediate and deep passes but outside of that looked good. this week he looked good overall on intermediate throws. still don't know if he can throw the deep ball, but we can get by without that

mrjet80 likes this.
  3. CaptainCap

CaptainCap Well-Known Member

Bart Starr was drafted in the 17th round in 1956. Not very impressive arm strength. He did ok.

4. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Interestingly, some of those weaknesses now seem to be the opposite of what we're seeing, e.g. the anticipation and processing if initial read is covered. Looks like he put in a lot of work there between then and now while on the bench. I'd be curious to see what people think of his Senior Bowl performance now. I remember him going through reads well back then, but it's been 5 years now.

Noam likes this.
  5. george sakell

george sakell Well-Known Member

All those Weaknesses seem to be Zack's weaknesses now and not Whites besides pocket mobility. Zack Wilson got 20+ games to prove him, White was yanked after 1 bad game, we know Zack is not the answer so let White play out the season and if he sucks get GRapp or Carr in here. He deserves a chance. Chances of winning a superbowl with Zack is less than 0%, with Mike White its atleast 10%. We know what we got in Zack Wilson, we have no clue if Mike White can be the next Brady or Warner yet, so lets find out.

Jets69 likes this.
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Bart(lett) was Starr's middle name at birth.
    His actual first name was Bryan.

Anyway... White doesn't need to have elite arm strength to make this offense click.

He ripped off some neat throws (in heavy rain) on Sunday... all he has to do is get the ball out on time and let the skill players take it from there.

Brook! likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he looked good at that last year too. remember he's had 4.5 years in the NFL with no pressure and very little playing time to correct all these mistakes. zach was thrown to the wolves form day 1 with high expectations.

8. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

In the rain he compiled 300+ yards 3 TD and 0 INT. Led the team to 400 yards of O .... in the RAIN. he made accurate short, intermediate and long passes,,, his arm strength is more the capable.
    Thanks Borat for the stats... good post.

Borat likes this.
  9. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

If White was 23 and drafted in round 1, people would be talking about him as if he was Tom Brady reincarnated.

Everyone thought it was a fluke what he did vs Cincy last year… that is until he did it again this past week…

but Chicago is a bad team people will tell themselves…

Do bad Qb’s play that well vs any teams in the NFL?

I can’t think of any…

Clemens, Sanchez, Darnold, and Wilson certaintly never did.

Jets69, Jeff M, HomeoftheJets and 2 others like this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

that’s a great point….bad defenses won’t make a bad QB look good…just doesn’t work that way

doesn’t matter how bad the defense is if a QB is inaccurate and can’t get the ball to the right guys on time…we’ve seen Zach miss open guys WAY too many times…that’s all on HIM, not the D…

a bad defense may make a good QB look better than he is but it won’t make a bad QB look good

SoylentGreen and Br4d like this.
  11. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Pennington had decent arm strength before he screwed up his shoulder. He couldn't throw the ball super hard and his throws to the outside always made you worry, but he was as accurate as anyone I ever saw. And I remember him hitting Lavernues Coles on a bomb one time - if I remember correctly, he split two defenders and hit Coles perfectly for a TD falling into the end zone.

If a healthy Pennington was our QB this year with this level of talent, we'd be competing with the Chiefs for the 1st seed.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Jets81 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

And if my grandma had balls, it would be my grandpa. (Am I allowed to say this now days?) The reality is White is 27, not 23, and he was drafted in the 5th round for a reason. He has bounced around a lot around the League as well. He also followed good performance against Cincy last year with atrocious game against Buffalo, and played shitty game against NE as a sub before that. Overall he ended the year with pedestrian ratings and had way too many INT worthy throws, including 8 picks in 3 games. He didn't have great preseason this year either, and according to Saleh and others, training camp wasn't good either. If he is ready to take the next step now, which I am really hoping for, it took him all of 27.5 years, because as I showed earlier, he was not ready yet even two months ago.

As to your point, look around the League. How many starting QBs have been drafted this low? There is always Tom Brady 25 years ago in the 6th round, but more recently there is no one. Mostly 1st or 2nd round picks. Dak Prescott and Kirk Cousins were drafted in the 4th, so there is some hope. Also, Dak Prescott was already balling at 23. Cousins was more of a later bloomer and is probably the best case scenario of what Mike White can become for us. But, back to your hypothetical: if Mike was 23 and drafted round 1, we are talking about a significantly higher hit rate than a 27 year old round 5 guy, after the same good game. I will take a Kirk Cousins though if Mike can get to that level.

Noam likes this.
  13. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

I’m not saying he is Brady, but people are judging him like he is some journeyman who has failed with multiple teams, when in reality he’s never been given a fair shot unless you call last season with a bad team fair…

He was a 23.5 year old rookie drafted by Dallas in rd. 5 (2018). Was on their roster, then cut and sign with Jets in 2019 where he has remained + waited his turn while we wasted time trying to develop high $$ first round picks in Darnold/Wilson.

While it’s true not many Qb’s selected in later rounds have worked out, I still see teams picking them in later rounds.

There is a reason Elijah Moore asked to be traded.
    By many accounts Mike White was outplaying Zach Wilson in practice. Zach has been sucking for awhile… his draft status, salary, ceiling (hope!) and awesome defense were the only things keeping him as the starter.

As far as preseason (which means nothing when you are a starter, but somehow means everything when you are a backup playing with backups)…

He was 13-17, 170 yards, 2 tds - 0 ints in his only start…

The guy has 4 NFL starts - in 3 of them, he played lights out. 2 Games were among all time bests any Jets Qb has had.

Small sample size, but it’s not just the results. He makes all the easy throws but more importantly also is making elite (accurate) throws… particularly the Wilson and Moore ones down field.

Go back and look at those throws… they are either super, super lucky, or he is just that good…

We’ll see but Jets fans should be excited… other forum like Miami/NE are nervous + hoping Wilson is back at the helm asap…

Ralebird likes this.
  14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Hah that last point is telling!

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am very excited about Mike. I don't think last year was good for him, and it wasn't about the lack of opportunity, like you do, but he definitely showed something in that Cincy game. I also wasn't encouraged by training camp or preseason overall, but last preseason game was good, and Saleh did notice him improving in practice ever since that preseason game, causing him to elevate Mike to QB2. Maybe Cincy last year was a flash, and now he turned the corner for good starting with the Giants game in preseason.

I can't wait to see more, and see how he does in the next two games, both of which will be very telling. Minny game will show if he can string together consistently good performances, and Buffalo game will present him finally with very good defense, and a mental challenge playing against the team he massively shit the bed last year. Huge tests are coming up for Mike, and I can't wait to see how he does, being cautiously optimistic.

Cidusii and SoylentGreen like this.