Mike Tannenbaum is happy?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ny2dave, Nov 6, 2007.

1. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

If you look at what Nolan is doing in SF it follows your blueprint to the tee. They had a very promising year last year with many people picking them to compete in the NFC this year. They are 2 & 6 this year and they are at least a full year ahead of us in their rebuild doing it your way.

2. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

And, they gave the biggest CB contract in history to Nate Clements.

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Take a look at their drafts the last 3 years.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

No way. Not even close.

What have the 49ers actually done with their drafts over the last two or three seasons?

Rd1 2007 - ILB Patrick Willis.
    Rd1 2007 - traded up (cardinal sin) for OT Joe Staley.
    Rd2 2007 - no pick and no pick in round 1 2008
    Rd3 2007 - WR Jason Hill
    Rd3 2007 - DE Ray McDonald
    Rd4 2007 - LB Jay Moore
    Rd4 2007 - S Dashon Goldson
    Rd4 2007 - DT Joe Cohen

Rd1 2006 - TE Vernon Davis
    Rd1 2006 - traded up (again) for OLB Manny Lawson
    Rd2 2006 - no pick
    Rd3 2006 - WR Brandon Williams
    Rd4 2006 - RB Michael Robinson

Rd1 2005 - QB Alex Smith
    Rd2 2005 - G David Baas
    Rd3 2005 - RB Frank Gore

The reason the 49ers are where they are right now is threefold:

1. Alex Smith hasn't worked out well as a top 5 QB. This always kills teams a few years down the road.

2. The 49ers have made no serious attempt to get a NT to anchor their run defense over the 3 year period, playing a bunch of guys there instead of going out and getting the one guy to solidify the position.

3. They really haven't drafted particularly well overall and they have made too many luxury type picks (TE, 2 WR, ILB) in the high rounds when there were other pressing needs.

Also they've traded up too much.

The Jets and the 49ers are failing for many of the same reasons.

#24 Br4d, Nov 6, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  5. Jets18

Jets18 New Member

I am surprised Pennington didn't get blamed in this thread.

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

WHere are all these 3-4 NT hat you seem to suggest are so easy to find? There is a reason that the 49ers and Jets are still looking for their anchor 3-4 NT and it is because they are nearly impossible to find. Over the last two offseasons, how many viable NTs were available for these teams?

7. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Q: How can you play a 3-4 without a NT?
    A: Poorly.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

As Jetcane points out if you can't find a NT you really can't play the 3-4 effectively. This was not an optional endeavor for the 49ers or the Jets. They had to claw and scratch and do everything they could to fill that slot if they wanted the 3-4 to work. Doing anything else was almost guaranteeing failure.

What could they have done to fix this? Find somebody who can handle the position or DON'T PLAY a 3-4. This is not rocket science.

D-Rob was no kind of NT last season. Going with him again this season was like saying: hit me in the face, I like it.

#28 Br4d, Nov 6, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I blame him for us starting out 1-7...the guy is garbage.

10. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

the niners screwed up by taking alex smith. it was a weak year for qbs, and they should have not picked him

11. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

Don't forget Bruce Coslet either.

12. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Maybe Tannenbaum is a mole from New England.

13. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Yeah I can't imagine how Tangini can't get to the superbowl this year. He inherited a SB calibur team. They were always well rested at Club Ed, and the vets were given preference, and of course now they have to work. And to think he put off the hopes of some short-sighted jackasses on an internet thread to rebuild a team and not switch back to the 43. We all know rebuilding only takes about 12 hours.

How dare they slack like that!

Really....you guys need to get a grip on reality.

14. For one, last year we couldve done alot worse than D rob at NT..It was his first year playing it, and did fairly well considering..

This year he has regressed severely. I think the knee condition, a general lack of motivation and the fact that his body was just not made for the position have all played a big part in things.

But I've asked over and over again...

Who was available in FA or the draft that fit the need of a 3-4 NT?

15. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Are you telling me that you're happy with the way the team is playing? We've regressed since last year. Our play calling is poor, our defensive players lack discipline and they can't tackle worth a lick. Thats bad coaching. Am I wrong about this?

16. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Oh I'm far from happy, I just think its very short-sighted to expect much from a team that is being rebuilt from the ground up. Mangini has a point about how many games were lost by less than a TD. Still not good but, its not like we're getting blown out. They had Vilma in there too long, but ya can't bench a captain that easily. They had Chad in there too long but you can't exactly bench a team leader that easily. Sutton must go, there is no secret there. But talking about the draft, they've actually brought in some good players. The draft was as good as you're going to get. We have a set of young coaches trying to build the team their way, and it's going to ta

17. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Oh I'm far from happy, I just think its very short-sighted to expect much from a team that is being rebuilt from the ground up. Mangini has a point about how many games were lost by less than a TD. Still not good but, its not like we're getting blown out. They had Vilma in there too long, but ya can't bench a captain that easily. They had Chad in there too long but you can't exactly bench a team leader that easily. Sutton must go, there is no secret there. But talking about the draft, they've actually brought in some good players. The draft was as good as you're going to get. We have a set of young coaches trying to build the team their way, and it's going to take more than a season. Last year they beat all crap teams with the exception of NE.

18. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

OMG common sense on this board. I think my head is going to asplode:

[​IMG]

19. KSJets

KSJets New Member

So send in your resume since you obviously seem to think you know everything about running an NFL team.

20. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Haha... no kidding. That can be said of a few on here. Hindsight is always 20/20. Plenty of folks around here seemed to be genuinely satisfied with the draft this past year until we started turning in losses. If it were so cookie-cutter and simple to run an NFL team then everyone would be bringing home a Lombardi every year.