Mike Pettine -- what is this guy doing ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Nov 21, 2010.

1. hazmat

hazmat New Member

1. I don't think the defense is one or two moves and a draft away from getting there. If a salary cap exists in 2011 then the Jets won't be buying any big free agents. Also, will they be able to keep Pool, Cromatie, Smith and Harris? Will Taylor, Thomas, Pace, Scott, Jenkins and Ellis be around in 2011 or 2012? How are they replacing all of these guys?

2. I agree that no coverage can cover for more then 4 seconds. But really how many of the current secondary players besides Revis and leonhard are going to be part of the long term plan? They can't pay Cromatie 10 million a year. Pool, Lowery, Coleman and Eric Smith are nice players but Pool and Smith are up for their second contracts and Coleman and Lowery both seem pretty iimited as far as upside.

3. I don't really care what position they draft but they need to go heavy on defense adding young athletic players that fit within the system.

4. The defensive line in the Jets system are supposed to be basically defensive tackles that occupy space and hold their gaps. Pouha and Devito are expected to stop the run and occupy lineman when they blitz on passing downs. The problem is the tweener guys, the guys who play OLB/DE. Taylor, Thomas and Pace. Taylor is old and rarely gets pressures, Thomas has never been much of a pass rusher and Pace is off the roids. I'd love to see how many pressure these guys have for the season.